A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November Crafting Tips & Tricks: Check out Kittykill's latest DIY video, How to Make Glowing Wax Globes!
Total Members: 314,626
Currently Running With Scissors:
275 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tigertail or...? Need advice on what to thread beads on!  (Read 3407 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

zlana
« on: July 27, 2006 08:06:32 AM »

I'm starting to sell jewelry on eBay, and so far my necklaces are based around beaded eyepins chained together. I have some ideas that will work better not as a chain though, and I'm wondering what to use to string the beads onto. I have some Tigertail, but I read in a beading catalogue that Tigertail can kink up, especially with more lightweight stuff. Since I'll be working mostly with plastic and acrylic beads, kinking may be a problem. So, has anyone had any problems with Tigertail kinking? And just in general, what would you recommend for strung beadwork?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazydoc
"Never, ever give up" - Winston Churchill "Never, ever grow up" - Dr. Seuss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006 08:38:38 AM »

Personally, I am developing quite a fondness for Fireline. I use 8# test, but some prefer the 6#. It's fishing line, but I've found it to be just perfect for beading.

Best of luck to you,
~CD~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shhhhhhhhh...it's Strictly Top Secret...
strictlytopsecret.etsy.com
crazydoc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006 08:39:29 AM »

p.s. I also like Transite
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazydoc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006 08:42:25 AM »

p.p.s. The Fireline comes in "smoke" color. That's the one to get. It looks very black at first, but fades to grey with use. The green color is too striking, imho, unless you're purposly using it b/c you're stringing green beads.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zlana
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006 09:10:03 AM »

Thanks! I've tried fishing line a few times years ago, but has trouble with finishing the ends. I think I would do well to learn better knotting skills, but maybe crimp beads would help too? How would you attach clasps to fishing line?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redthreadarts
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006 11:15:40 AM »

Thanks! I've tried fishing line a few times years ago, but has trouble with finishing the ends. I think I would do well to learn better knotting skills, but maybe crimp beads would help too? How would you attach clasps to fishing line?

Make sure you have a loop on both ends, and then put a jump ring through that, then attach your clasp to the ring.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zlana
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006 06:35:16 AM »

Make sure you have a loop on both ends,

That's kind of what I was confused about though.. how do I make a secure loop? Should I knot the line? If so, can you recommend which knot to use? Or should I use a crimp bead? Or both? Or am I totally offbase and there is something else I should be doing to make sure I have a loop on both ends?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

evilwench
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006 07:06:04 AM »

you could try using crimp beads with fireline, it tends to be pretty tough stuff (usually the one concern with crimping any sort of "thread" is that the crimps can cut into the string, but like i said, fireline is fairly resiliant)... an alternative option would be to use a product called "SoftFlex"; it's similar to Tigertail, but MUCH better quality. It's not only less prone to kinking than tigertail, it also has much nicer drape.  Personally, it's what I use in all of my stringing projects, as well as what I usually recommend to customers (I work at a bead store, and we get this question all the time). Finishing would be the same as for Tigertail... just crimp the ends to your clasp.

Good luck  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In my dreams I can fly
auzzi
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006 02:41:04 PM »

another alternative is beadalon. it is better quality than tigertail (which i wouldn't recommend at all) and can be finished using crimps. While I haven't tried softflex or the new softtouch wire, i know beadalon is cheaper than softflex, but still comparably good quality. beadalon comes in different diameters (0.12, 0.15, 0.18 are the basics) and have three quality levels - 7, 19, and 49-- 7 being the lowest quality and 49 being the highest.The numbers refer to the number of mini wires within each strand that are braided/wrapped together then coated with nylon. Beadalon 49 is the most flexible with the nicest drape, i usually bead with beadalon 49 diameter 0.15 or 0.18. i think it's a good stringing material for a variety of projects- lighweight to heavy bracelets and necklaces.
hope this helps some!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ellatrue
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006 10:56:10 PM »

I'm just beginning to bead... so far I've just used old fishing wire, but I ran out. Tying it off isn't hard- you just have to tie it MORE. I usually make the loop, tie it, string it back through a few seed beads, tie it again, run what's left back through the beads of my necklace and only *then* cut the end.

How do you know which thickness is right for each project? What's risky, and what's "good enough?"  I'm not sure what I need--thirty bucks for string seemed like overkill, but I don't want my necklaces to break!

*edit* I'm not interested in actually WEAVING the beads or doing peyote stitch or anything like that, just stringing them and maybe experimenting with more than one strand, etc

I am going to be stringing with 8x5mm chunks of turquoise, would .014 accuflex 21 be strong enough for that kind of thing? Someone told me tigertail could damage it, but beadalon 49 .018 seemed like overkill (and that's my other option). PLEASE HELP!***
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006 12:13:23 AM by Ellatrue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Clipboard Photo Display
Party with a Pumpkin Challenge Winner: Floral Pumpkin Centerpiece
November 15, 2017 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...