A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
242 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Either my Singer Genie 354 is broken or I'm a dumbass  (Read 3114 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
FauxChina

Hello, my name is AAAAAAAAAHHHH

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2006 10:14:27 AM »

I'm thinking that I'm a dumbass...  My mom gave me her sewing machine, I've read the owners manual about fifty million times, followed all the step by step instructions to thread it, and when I tried to sew on my practice swatch (I wanted to practice first on a scrap before I actually attempted a project so I wouldn't ruin good fabric) it made a few good stitches, but on the back its all knotted and a lot of wasted thread.  Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong or if it's the machine?  I'm just getting sick of hand sewing, for something that should only take an hour, it takes me two or three days to complete.  I'd greatly appreciate it if somebody could point me in the right direction.  Thanks a bunch in advance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a new mom to my beautiful baby girl Rhaevyn, born June 12th, she keeps me super busy.
spinnerin
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006 11:52:14 AM »

That sounds like a problem with the bobbin tension.  Sometimes just unthreading the bobbin, cleaning out the lint in the bottom of the machine, and putting it back will fix it.  Otherwise, check the manual for how to adjust the needle and bobbin thread tension.  Good luck, I've used machines that had this issue, and I always hate having to rip out the tangled section to keep sewing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spinnerin.etsy.com
dee521

bear paws make me happy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006 12:21:52 PM »

generally issues on the bottom of the fabric are incorrect top tension, but really it's a tension balance issue. the problem you're having is called "birdnesting." your bobbin tension should be such that when you hold one end of the thread and kinda jerk/let it fall, the bobbin case should only fall an inch or two: more it's too loose/not at all it's too tight. then the top may need to be adjusted too. tension is a difficult thing to master, it just takes practice (and using the correct needle for your fabric) here's a site that may help: http://www.sewalot.com/tension_adjustments.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FauxChina

Hello, my name is AAAAAAAAAHHHH

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006 01:28:40 PM »

Thank you so much!  I'm going to try to fix the problem tonight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a new mom to my beautiful baby girl Rhaevyn, born June 12th, she keeps me super busy.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...