A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Does your gift list have you stumped? Can never figure out what to make for Great Aunt Felma?  Each day through December 24, we are featuring a fabulous gift tutorial!  Check out the 2017 Handmade Holiday Gift Guide for (free!) recipes, patterns and more.
Total Members: 319,835
Currently Running With Scissors:
223 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: revamped couch  (Read 2742 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

ranchgirl
« on: July 18, 2006 09:19:11 AM »

My husband's grandma gave us this fold-out couch when we moved to Chicago.  It is a great couch, but as you can see from the before--damn ugly!  So I went to the fabric store a while ago and bought this navy linen for a dollar/yard.  It was not my first choice but 1)it was cheap and 2)my best friend and her hubby gave us a rug from South America and the blue matches (we LOVE the rug, by the way).  I finally finished recovering the pillows and it is done!

As for recovering the actual couch--I just sewed different panels to capture the details and hot glue gunned them on.
before...headacheville...

the finished product...I recovered the couch in September and just did the pillows last week.  i HATE the one on the right.  i was over this project and it was hot and well...maybe someday I will redo it.  the other pillow is embroidered circles and french knots. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jjm
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006 11:32:39 AM »

Looks soooo much better!  This is probably one job I wouldn't have tackled (I'm not a sewer).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stockholm syndrome
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006 11:54:28 AM »

Definitely an improvement!!

Funny, I was just about to start carrying on about how much I like the pillow on the right then I read that you hate it... oops.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
samuraikiss
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006 12:42:15 PM »

It looks wonderful! I have a damn ugly couch in our basement, and I'm about to start reupholstering it. Do you have any hints?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ranchgirl
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006 05:00:57 PM »

Thanks for the comments.  It's not that I really hate the pillow, but the sewing is pretty crap and I will do it over someday I am sure.  As for tips...

-Buy plenty of glue sticks.  I have no idea how many I went through, but it was a lot!
-Take time to plan how you will sew the different sections.  I really wanted to duplicate some of the details in the couch to make it look less like I glued fabric on and more like the couch was always that way.
-Rent a bunch of good movies.  This is a project that might take awhile depending on your skills.  I watched Hitch about 5 times and it treated me right.
-Enjoy yourself.  Pick out a fabric you like that will enhance your room.  I mean it can't be any worse than what you are covering up, right?

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Mini Heart Pinata
Oh, deer!
@Home This Weekend: Stylish Jacket For Your Pooch

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...