A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Does your gift list have you stumped? Can never figure out what to make for Great Aunt Felma?  Each day through December 24, we are featuring a fabulous gift tutorial!  Check out the 2017 Handmade Holiday Gift Guide for (free!) recipes, patterns and more.
Total Members: 314,834
Currently Running With Scissors:
237 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: polka-dot tube top--now with text tutorial!  (Read 67118 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

letsread

i'm the jealous type

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2004 10:49:28 AM »

i was going out last night and wanted a shirt to wear with my red high heels and jeans.  i had one of those days when i decided i hated all of my clothes, plus i was feeling crafty and inspired because i got such a nice response from the dress i just posted here (https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=10690.0#msg83177--not only do i get inspired by the other stuff i see on craftster, but everyone's incredibly nice comments about the stuff i post just makes me want to craft until my fingers bleed) so i decided to make a shirt with some scraps of fabric.  i got this fantastic knit polka-dot fabric at the thrift store a few months ago and i had some leftover navy fabric from the dress i made so i decided to make a strapless top (which i have been obsessed with since i got a tattoo on my shoulder a year ago.  i NEVER used to wear strapless/spagetti strap clothes but now i can't get enough.)  i ended up with this:
http://home.uchicago.edu/~evelynp/craftpics/HPIM0407.JPG

back (with my weird sunburn--remember kids, when you apply sunscreen, make sure you get your WHOLE back!):http://home.uchicago.edu/~evelynp/craftpics/HPIM0412.JPG

how to do it:

top band:http://home.uchicago.edu/~evelynp/craftpics/HPIM0409.JPG
use a tape measure to measure around your chest just under your armpits (where you want the shirt to sit).  make sure the tape measure isn't too tight because a too-tight strapless shirt give even the skinniest person armpit fat.  take that measurement and add 1" for seam allowance.  then cut a strip of non-stetchy fabric that is your chest measurement plus the 1" and is 5" wide.  fold it over and sew the short side seams (1/2" seam allowance on each side) so you have a strip of fabric that now has a fold on one long side, a seam on each short side, and is open on the other long side.  turn it right side out and press flat.  there's your top band, set it aside.

bottom band:http://home.uchicago.edu/~evelynp/craftpics/HPIM0410.JPG
measure around your hips where you want the shirt to stop.  you should actually measure around your hips while you have pants/a skirt on because the shirt band is going to have to fit over that.  take that measurement and add 1".  do the same as you did with the top band.

middle:
this part should be made of a kind of stetchy fabric.  just using an old t-shirt would work (and would eliminate any need for sewing in this step).  measure the length of your torso from where you want the shirt to start and to stop including the top and bottom band then add 1".  that will be the length of your middle piece.  then measure around the widest part of your chest and add 1".  that's the width of your middle piece.  cut that out fold over with right sides together, and sew up the other side (1/2 seam allowance).

assembly:
you have two long strips and one tube for this, so you're going to have to do pinning all the way around the middle section instead of being able the lay it flat, but it's not a huge pain.  turn your middle part inside-out.  take the top band and line up the open side with one of the open cut edges of the middle part and pin them together.  the top band is going to be a little bit shorter than the middle section so line up one edge of the top strip and pin it right next to the seam on your middle section.  then fold the band in half and pin the middle of the band to the other side of the middle section.  then pin the other end of the top strip to the seam on the middle section.  make sure that the two ends of the top band don't overlap.  you need to leave just the TINIEST bit of space between them (like, a millimeter) so you can pull the two ends apart just a little bit once it's sewn to the middle section.  as you pin keep finding the middle point on the band betweeen two pins and pinning it to the middle part of the main section of the shirt between the two pins so that you space out the slight gathering across the whole shirt (the gathering won't end up being too much in any one spot when you're done).  once you've pinned the whole thing sew all the way around (1/2" seam allowance).  make sure you don't stitch the two ends of the band together so they can still be pulled apart a little.

repeat for the bottom band.

now the shirt's almost done.  you just have to hand-sew hooks and eyes to each of the bands.  i put one hook and eye on the corner away from the main section and one right next to the main section (see the pictures) and it did the trick.  then, viola!  you've got a cute little shirt.

sorry there's no pictures, but i didn't take pictures when i made the shirt and the little drawings i did wouldn't save right, so you get text.  if you have questions, message me!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2004 12:34:32 PM by letsread » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"you're ms. thinks-she's-pretty"
-one of my 3rd graders
geekburger

I'm a Beastie!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2004 10:53:35 AM »

wow  your good.  Smiley i like it. and less than an hour you said? Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
letsread

i'm the jealous type

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2004 10:59:02 AM »

and less than an hour you said? Shocked

yup.  there's very little work that went into that top.  just make two bands (if you have enough fabric you can basically just fold a piece of fabric that's long enough in half length-wise and just sew up the short sides--leave one side open because you're going to sew it to the shirt anyway and no one will see it) and then you just have to sew one seam on the middle part, sew the band to the shirt, and you're done except for the hand-sewing of the hooks and eyes.  super fast.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-one of my 3rd graders
mj_elizabeth
maryjean

I love my staple gun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2004 11:24:08 AM »

I love that  Tongue Kinda off-topic but your sunburn looks a little like a dolphin Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brokenpencil
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2004 07:08:55 PM »

awesome top, you are so stylin'! i love the shoes !
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinafish
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2004 07:47:28 PM »

you're so crafty! i love it.. i want one of my own now. just curious...what's your tattoo of? i can't seem to make it out.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

letsread

i'm the jealous type

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2004 08:06:07 PM »

just curious...what's your tattoo of? i can't seem to make it out.  Cheesy

it's an illustration from "matilda" by roald dahl.  it's my favorite book ever, i've read it (literally) at least 30 times.  when i decided to become a 5th grade teacher it just seemed appropriate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-one of my 3rd graders
mamabunnycat
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2004 08:57:20 PM »

you're so cute!  and I love the top!  I never saw the post on the dress but wow thats awesome too! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ellseybell

It's a hard job being a beautiful assistant...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2004 10:14:22 PM »

That top is adorable, and your outfit was perfect. Isn't great when you can create exactly what you set out to do??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever." -- Judge Judy
balahuniankid

shakin' like a revolution

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2004 12:20:31 AM »

i've been looking for a top or pattern like that for months! it's absolutlely cute and looks great on you. is there any way that you could post a tutorial? i think that would be greatly appreciated. =]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Pipe Cleaner Mouse
December 13, 2017 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Holiday Lantern

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...