A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
150 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: quick knit baby gifts...lots of pics..now with blanket pattern!!!  (Read 5469 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
apixiegrl
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2006 09:56:55 AM »

Thanks for the compliments everyone...(^_^)
Here is the info....
The sweater pattern is from Mason-dixon knitting http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0307236056/103-2882922-9257408?v=glance&n=283155
The knit dress and little boy socks are from Cozy knits for cuddly babies http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1588164357/sr=1-1/qid=1152978520/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-2882922-9257408?ie=UTF8&s=books
The little hat came from http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1584793678/sr=1-1/qid=1152978688/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-2882922-9257408?ie=UTF8&s=books
I know it would be hard to go out and buy all these books.. I've been collecting them little by little over the past year. I used an assortment of yarns.. mission falls 1824 cotton for the hat..berroco touche' for the white sweater... some old cotton from my stash for the baby dress and  caron simply soft for the blankets and everything else. I think most worsted weight yarn will work for all the items... As far as the blankets  ... here is my attempt at a pattern..

Yarn 2 skeins of simply soft (for the one color blanket)+ any other worsted weight yarn for trims in different colors
I'm guessing around a size 9 needle
gauge 16 sts = 4"..(thats aprox)

cast on 100 sts.. knit in st. st. for 155 - 180 rows.. or your desired length..cast off
(that part is easy) u can knit as many stripes as u like or use only 3 colors and make 3 big stripes of equal llength or just make it one color..

To start the crochet border u need to make one row of single crochet evenly around the blanket edge.. one single crochet in each stitch along the top and bottom of the blanket and on the sides i made a single crochet in each of the next 2 row ends.. then missed one row and repeated that along both sides making 3 sc in each corner.
at this point i picked an edging from a stitch dictionary that i liked..I will give u directions for the easiest one..

with the same color as your foundation row of sc... (hoping that u are at the corner)
Chain 6 *skip 1 sc, sc in next st, chair 4* repeat pattern until u reach the next corner, chain 6 and repeat the pattern again until u have gone all around the blanket.. slip st in the bottom of first chain..change color by not completing the slip stitch and pulling new color thru as your ending of the slip st..

Next row.. chain 6,* sc in next chain 4 loop, chain 4* repeat this around chaining 6 in each corner for as many rows as u would like to add..

I made this border changing colors on each row but its also pretty in one color.
here is a picture..

happy knitting!!!
there are more photos of the edging on my blog
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006 10:09:18 AM by apixiegrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

apixiegrl
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006 09:08:19 AM »

i finished the hat and booties that will go with the last blanket.. they are crochet so i posted them here..
https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=107916.0 (^_^)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Krisnotes
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006 09:27:55 AM »

I think these items are so pretty. Would buy these things if I saw it in a store
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's a toothpaste on the wrong side of the toothbrush kind of day.
spurtiic
Jennorific

I made BEST OF 2007 for my frozen bird nest pic!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2006 12:19:13 PM »

I had been thinking about that blanket for a few days since I first saw it.  Man, I love it!  I went to the yarn store and splurged on Redheart (haha) in various colors.  I figured out how to use my  knitting machine last night (hoorah!) and made a big square in ivory, then I just crocheted (and I have no idea how to read crochet instructions so I just winged it) and made flowers in navy blue, teal, and mediteranean blue and have buttercup yellow to go around the edge.  It looks completely different and more plain than yours but thank you soooo much for the idea! 

However, here's my problem:  I haven't crocheted the edge. I'm going to have to learn to follow a pattern for that.  But before I do - my blanket is curling up into a ball! Ahh!  Did you have this problem with your knitting machine?  All of the edges curl up.  Does washing help this?  Maybe extra softener??   Huh   I have no idea what to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't complete 'til you crochet a uterus for a friend.  Just make sure your fallopian tubes point down and not up! No one needs to lose an eye this way! Wink

I love personal swaps for small stuff (including Hershey Kisses!)! PM me for happy fun rockin' good times!
apixiegrl
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2006 12:26:40 PM »

spurtiic.. all stockinette stitch will curl up.. blocking helps..I usually let my knitting machine projects rest overnight .. then lightly block.... as far as the crochet edging.. i would practice crocheting a little swatch to get used to doing the stitches before you actually crochet the edging..the chain stitch edging is very simple.... practice a little then give it go.. (^_^)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2006 12:47:09 PM »

those are adorable  Smiley
 I'm hoping to get my Knitmaster back from the ex pretty soon. I vaguely remember being able to do a faux crotchet shell stitch edging using the machine. Have a nephew or neice due in June 07 I'd love to be able to knit something for them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best
50 in '14
50 in '15
spurtiic
Jennorific

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2007 09:03:19 PM »

spurtiic.. all stockinette stitch will curl up.. blocking helps..I usually let my knitting machine projects rest overnight .. then lightly block.... as far as the crochet edging.. i would practice crocheting a little swatch to get used to doing the stitches before you actually crochet the edging..the chain stitch edging is very simple.... practice a little then give it go.. (^_^)

okay, well, my blues didn't work out that great, so i added the yellow in place of the ugly blue.  anyway, i've crocheted all the way around it and i'm on the first side for the picot edging.  you can tell it's curling on the right side, so i had to put a chair on the edge to hold it down, so that i could take this pic!  anyway, that's my attempt at your blanket   Smiley   i'm sure i'll get better the more i do it. i'll let you know if blocking works for me.  i'm probably going to cut off that dark blue flower and "help it" by throwing it in the garbage and making a new one.  haha

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't complete 'til you crochet a uterus for a friend.  Just make sure your fallopian tubes point down and not up! No one needs to lose an eye this way! Wink

I love personal swaps for small stuff (including Hershey Kisses!)! PM me for happy fun rockin' good times!
apixiegrl
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2007 09:08:53 PM »

0.0'
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brit0602
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2007 09:29:19 PM »

These are great!  I've been working on baby stuff for a friend of mine that just had a baby and needed some new ideas for another one that is having her baby in a couple of months.  I especially love the last blanket and mismatched socks!  They were so great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KNITTER'S GEEK CODE Grin
K C R +++ Exp+ Spm++ Bam+++ Addi> Cot+ Baa++ Lux+ Stash++(+) Scale++ Fin>+ Ent(soon) FI Int Tex++ Lace++ Felt++ Circ ML>+++ Swatch KIP++ EZ FO++ WIP+(+) GuageAll ALTX+Sp>+++
spurtiic
Jennorific

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2007 11:43:40 PM »

yeah, the blue striped blanket was very cute.  i lack the ability to match colors.  i would have never thought to put those colors together. it looks cute! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...