A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and encouraged! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 314,212
Currently Running With Scissors:
254 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: books on spinning?  (Read 1810 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

rockadot
« on: July 12, 2006 09:24:53 PM »

I'm on the hunt for good books on spinning. Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sulicat
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006 11:39:41 AM »

"Hands on Spinning" by Lee Raven (Interweave Press) http://www.interweave.com/spin/books/hands_on_spinning.asp is great for a beginner, and for learning basics. Good diagrams, enough detail but not too much that you drown in info.

Also I just picked up "The Spinner's Companion" by Bobbie Irwin  http://www.interweave.com/spin/books/spinners_companion.asp which is another Interweave Press book (really, you can't go wrong with any of their books imo) and it is FANTASTIC.  It's just a little spiral bound guidebook that gives you quick info. It will answer so many of your questions about the mechanics of spinning, fibre, etc and if you want more detailed information it suggests other books you can try.

Here's the Table of Contents:
Spinning Wheels
Wheel Mechanics
Spindles
Fiber Types and Characteristics
Fiber Preparation
Prepared Fiber Forms
Drafting
Spinning Fine Yarn
Twist, Grist and Other Measurements
Plying
Finishing Yarn
Pest Problems and Storage
When It Hurts To Spin
Biblio, Resources, Assns and an Index!

Kay, can you tell I'm a librarian? Take these two passions of mine (books and fibre) and I have a hard time shutting up! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
feralfeminine
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006 10:01:21 PM »

I love "Spinning In The Old Way". Not as dowdy as it sounds- it's a really good, comprehensive book. BUT, it focuses completely on high-whorl drop spindling. So it won't help you if you're using a wheel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

misshawklet

spin spin spin!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006 02:11:37 PM »

I send Hands on Spinning by Lee Raven!  Its how I learned.

Also soon coming out is Spin to Knit by Shannon Okey...I have to plug it b/c I'm getting a little blurb in it, exciting!
www.spintoknit.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bitter-girl.com

I'm not a llama, but I've kissed an alpaca!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006 11:38:13 AM »

Aww, thanks, Misshawklet! (Wait til you all see how cute she is in the book!)

Yeah, not to be too much of a PR dork, but my book (Spin to Knit) is pretty comprehensive with the photos and it has patterns that are good for handspun yarn, too... I talk about all kinds of spindles and wheels, not just high whorl drop spindles like Spinning in the Old Way (which is a great book if you like spindling!)

By the way -- check out spintoknit.com, because we've got a handspun secret pal swap going on! yay!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

shannon okey :: www.knitgrrl.com :: knit, spin, more
www.anezkahandmade.com/catalog :: my shop
faithin

beep boop beep

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006 11:51:59 AM »

i'm so freaking excited about spin to knit. for real. i just wanted to say that.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hey, i do personal swaps! especially for fiber. i am addicted to fiber & yarn. addicted.

http://www.faithinpoison.com/kitten (food & fiber)
http://www.livejournal.com/users/quiz_show (personal journal)
http://www.etsy.com/shop/faithin
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kittenlogic/
yarn_mafia
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006 12:26:50 PM »

I have the Aldon Amos Big Book of Handspinning, and I really like it. It's a bit expensive ($40 I think), but its basically a textbook with so much information you couldn't possibly need it all. It really has just about everything that you could possibly want (from washing to spinning to what fibers are what etc).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Catapultam habeo, nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis ad caput tuum saxum imane mittam.
my site: www.geekyyarn.blogspot.com
my wist: http://www.wists.com/yarn_mafia/
Gracie247
Librarian wannabe

Crafty Bookworm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006 06:49:03 AM »

Spin to Knit is AMAZING!!!! Thanks so much Shannon! I've been spinning on a drop spindle (and dreaming of spinning wheels) off and on for about a year and a half now, thinking I've been doing it wrong because my yarn always comes out "lumpy-bumpy." No one else told me that it was "designer yarn" before! Plus the clear instructions for wheels calmed me down a lot (they look really complicated) and the suggestions for fixing errors are great. The other thing I love is that it's the most up-to-date spinning book out there--you won't find instructions for how to incorporate beads or glitter into your yarn in any of the other books, as great and instructional as they may be. I also just really needed the encouragement that the book pours out, and to remember that "handspun yarn is not commercial yarn..." Anyway, I'm in love with the book and with spinning and I can't thank you enough!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I feel sorry for people who don't make things. When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day." -paraphrased Frank Sinatra
rubysdaughter

My wheel is a Fricke 160DT.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006 01:39:45 PM »

I have to suggest my all time favorite Color in Spinning by Deb Menz.  This book is amazing. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fyberduck
the quacking fiber addict

I reject your reality and substitute my own

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006 01:37:43 PM »

My two favs: Spinning Designer Yarns - it covers boucles, etc so it's very useful.  I also like In Sheep's Clothing as a reference to sheep and fleece types.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the qfa:
unequivocally proving that knitting is not an intelligence test

Got a tape measurer?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fancy Solar Lighting
Tute Tuesday: Fabric Paper
Craftster Rocks!

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...