A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 320,305
Currently Running With Scissors:
180 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How big is your wrist? (making bracelets)  (Read 1271 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

oddinary

so damn stuck on you*

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2006 11:54:03 AM »

I just made a bracelet that's around 6.5 inches. It fits my wrist. I'm putting it up for sale, but I need to know what other sizes to make.

How big is your wrist? Or if you make bracelets already, how big do you make them?
Thanks. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftster from hong kong! Tongue
DsgndbyRJ
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006 11:59:53 AM »

I tend to wear a 7-inch, but even that's smaller than the "standard".  The average you'll tend to see is 7.5 - but it also depends on the type of bracelet and how loose you like to wear it too!

And of course you can always add extenders!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.RJBeads.etsy.com - beads and jewelry making supplies! **SALE ALERT**

www.designedbyrj.blogspot.com
oddinary

so damn stuck on you*

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006 10:37:37 PM »

^ Thanks, Cheesy I forgot about extenders, oddly. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftster from hong kong! Tongue
Neigung
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006 04:20:56 PM »

I usually wear a 7" bracelet too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alenecouture.etsy.com - updated: 13/04/09
alenecouture.blogspot.com  - updated: 06/01/09
Find Me on Facebook !
artsylis
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006 10:15:38 AM »

I usually wear 7" too, but as it was already stated, it does depend on the type of bracelet.  Are you making cuffs that you'd like to stay in one place?  Then smaller is better.  Are you making cute little charmy-type bracelets that you want to swing around and kind of lay against the back of your hand when your arm is at your side?  Then larger is okay.

Making them adjustible with an extender is a great idea.  What I've started doing with the bracelets I have listed in my etsy shop is to let people know, if they see something they like, it can be easily restrung at no extra charge.  This would obviously not work for intricate things like weaving, multi-strand pieces, etc... but if they're one strand of jewelry wire, I think it's an excellent way to open up to a broader audience.  So far, I've scaled a couple of pieces down very easily for some little girl wrists and I've also had to extend a couple of pieces because the girth of some of the beads made the bracelet too snug.

Play around with it and, most importantly, have fun!

Lisa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MY WEBSITE:  www.guiltytreasure.com
MY ETSY SHOP:  artsylis.etsy.com
MY PUBLISHED ARTICLES:  http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/56561/lisa_fuller.html
<><><>
"Know, first, who you are; and then adorn yourself accordingly." -Epictetus
omgirl
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006 09:22:50 AM »

I think I remember reading somewhere that the average bracelet is six or eight inches?

I can't remember.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
binkey75
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006 10:57:23 PM »

this might help:

BRACELET SIZES
To determine your bracelet size, measure your wrist with a soft tape measure just below the wrist bone. If you do not have a soft tape measure, use a string, then measure that with a ruler. This is your actual wrist size. Add 1 inch, and that is your bracelet size. If you are ordering a bracelet as a gift, if at all possible try to get their wrist measurment or measure a bracelet that they own that fits well. If you do not know the recipient's wrist size, you can use the following guides, but please remember that these are approximate sizes and do not guarantee a perfect fit.

Average Children's Bracelet Sizes:
0-3 months: 3.5 inches
3-6 months: 4 inches
6-12 months: 4.5 inches
12-24 months: 5 inches
2-4 years: 5.5 inches
5-7 years: 6 inches
8-12 years: 6.5 inches

Average Women's Bracelet Sizes:
Young Adults: 6.75 inches
Small: 7 inches
Average: 7.25-7.5 inches
Large: 8 inches
Extra Large: 8.5 inches
THIS ROCKS   Logged
funkyjunkdesigns
Private Jewelry Making Classes Available-Chain & Maille A Specialty

this is made from a bicycle innertube!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006 07:45:45 AM »

this might help:

BRACELET SIZES
To determine your bracelet size, measure your wrist with a soft tape measure just below the wrist bone. If you do not have a soft tape measure, use a string, then measure that with a ruler. This is your actual wrist size. Add 1 inch, and that is your bracelet size. If you are ordering a bracelet as a gift, if at all possible try to get their wrist measurment or measure a bracelet that they own that fits well. If you do not know the recipient's wrist size, you can use the following guides, but please remember that these are approximate sizes and do not guarantee a perfect fit.

Exactly...don't worry about what length the bracelet is...worry about what size wrist the bracelet will fit.  You might find, dependent on the materials used, that a bracelet that is 9 inches long, will fit a 7" wrist.

Here's a nearly foolproof way to ensure that your bracelet will fit:

• 1.Turn a plastic drinking glass upside down
  • 2.Using a cloth measuring tape, wrap it around the glass at 7 inches, 7.25 inches, etc, drawing a sharpie line around the glass at each length
  • 3. When you make a bracelet, wrap it around the appropriate measurement, allow room for the clasp, and voila!  A perfect fit almost every time!

If you insist upon making them just by length, you're likely to miss, more than you hit.

I have bracelets that run from 7.5 inches to 9 inches, and my wrist is 7.25 inches around.  That's why I always suggest to jewelry makers that they  state what size the bracelet fits, rather than the length of the bracelet.

HTH

FJD

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Recently Retired Items are now Jewelry...We Support Various Charities!
http://recentlyre-tired.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Pom Pom Shades
February 21, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Ribbon Scarf

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...