A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November Crafting Tips & Tricks: Check out Kittykill's latest DIY video, How to Make Glowing Wax Globes!
Total Members: 314,626
Currently Running With Scissors:
216 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: woven ribbon tote bag  (Read 1271 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

I_came_as_a_rat
« on: July 11, 2006 12:34:15 AM »

So I've been wanting to try to attempt a bag with woven together ribbon for some time now and finally got around to it.  It took forever just because I couldn't get quite the right look I was going for with the ribbon but I finally made this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/I_came_as_a_rat/DSC03749.jpg
This is an overall picture of the bag.  Its about 12"X13".  Has a long strap even though you can't see it.  The worst part was I broke the needle on my machine at the very end of finishing up the zipper and had to hand sew the rest.  Normally I would have waited and just went and bought a new needle but the store was closed and I worked on this thing forever and needed to finish it.  

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/I_came_as_a_rat/DSC03751.jpg
Here's a close up of the ribbon.  The black border around the ribbon is just a wider black ribbon.  Which I had to use because I really underestimated the amount of ribbon this project would require.  I was originally going to make the whole bag out of the ribbon but ended up only using it as the front panel which I love now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/I_came_as_a_rat/DSC03750.jpg
Here's the zipper.   Have to show this off because its the first zipper I've used in this particular way thanks to queenofdiy's tutorial.  Once I get a new heavy duty needle for my machine I'm gonna go over this part again just to clean it up a bit and make it stronger.  I'm super happy that I did this bag because it gave me a great idea for some other ones that I told my future-sister-in-law I would make for her bridesmaids (me being one of them).
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011 03:52:00 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
silentdementia
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006 06:10:16 AM »

Ooh, ribbon, I heart ribbon! It looks terribly good and very well made. And well done on the zipper, I'm still mastering that skill  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist : Swap Info : Personal Swap Friendly
yarncookie
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006 08:00:06 PM »

wow! thats aWeSoMe!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look at me, I'm on TV, it makes up for the shortcomings of being poor. Now I'm in a million pieces picked up for deliberation by the people listening at home, by the people watching on the telly...
SABRINAM
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006 09:10:55 PM »

That is very striking and very professional looking! Love it!

How did you do the front panel in ribbon? I have been wanting to do this. I was thinking that I'd weave my ribbons and then iron them onto a panel using lightbond. I'd love to hear how you did it. It looks fantastic!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I_came_as_a_rat
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006 11:01:37 PM »

Thats pretty much how I made the ribbon panel.  I just weaved the ribbons in the pattern I wanted on top of some fusible interfacing and pinned it in place as I went.  Once I was all done I just ironed the whole thing to hold the ribbons in place.  After that its pretty much just a piece of fabric and easy to sew.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SABRINAM
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006 08:32:16 PM »

That's how I figured I would do it. Thanks for the response! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
itsamutiny
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006 02:44:23 AM »

oooh, ever since i made buglake's ribbon purse, i've wanted to make a ribbon tote bag. neat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Clipboard Photo Display
Party with a Pumpkin Challenge Winner: Floral Pumpkin Centerpiece
November 15, 2017 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...