A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
300 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: never say never  (Read 57734 times)
Tags for this thread: scarf  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
olenka

if i can't dance, i don't want your revolution

View Profile WWW
« on: July 07, 2006 07:43:20 AM »

This scarf is made from cotton yarn that somebody (to whom I'm gratefully) have given me. I used 4 balls 50g each (and still have 4 more), color of the yarn is not one of my favorites so I was sure that I will NEVER find use fore it. bag with 8 balls of yarn stayed fore 5 years in my closet till I signed up fore "use what you have" group on flickr and found lovely crochet  pattern that is combination of double crochet and chain. i wasn't allowed to by new yarn so I used the one I already had. It is great feeling to use something that was hidden fore so long.
 After first 60 rows of the scarf I was sure that I will NEVER finish. I stopped working on it, 2 days a go I found it and decided not to waist time I have already spend macking it and now I'm pretty proud of my self.  I wonder if I should add a fringe and/ore dye it a stronger colour. What do you guys think?

Close up of pattern:

two action shots.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2018 10:58:05 AM by kittykill » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kahluakiggy
Tirelessly working to raise the next generation of Craftsters.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006 08:09:07 AM »

That is beautiful!!!  You did a great job!  I vote no on the fringe, but I think if you're not into the color, you should dye it.  It's too pretty to sit in a closet just because it's the wrong color!

Kind of gives me an idea for the HUGE box of crochet cotton that I bought at a yard sale for $3 last weekend.  lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What doesn't kill you makes you stranger. --The Joker

After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- Albus Dumbledore

Sokka: My first girlfriend turned into the moon.
Zuko: Thats rough, buddy.
theresamaresa
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006 08:10:44 AM »

Personally I like the color, but if it's something you can't wear (and can't bear to gift) then dying it is always an option. I can't really picture it with fringe, though I suppose it would help you use up some more of that cotton.

It's a lovely scarf- it looks like it has great drape and an interesting pattern. Pretty, pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
the littlest ninja

Feed that mustache, son.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006 08:10:58 AM »

Oh olenka, I am constantly amazed and delighted by the stuff you make (and your patience)  Grin  I think it's beautiful just the way it is, but I like that kind of grey-green color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take that you stupid corn!
dewbaby00
Check this out...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006 08:15:40 AM »

Very pretty....when I first saw the second pic I thought it was a vest.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

christinacoghill

My biggest fans!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006 10:32:45 AM »

I really like this pattern. Where did you find it at? and I would go with dyeing it if you don't like the color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lvb56003
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006 10:52:24 AM »

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVET!  No fringe, keep it as is.

Leeanne
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tenaj51
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006 10:59:20 AM »

Good job, where did you find the pattern?  I'd vote for leaving it as is, no fringe & I like the color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mynta
Tutorial Contributor

True Mistress of Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006 12:30:46 PM »

Dont touch it, girl! It is amazing just as it is and I bet it really make a stunning contrast to all your fab black jewels.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

..yes, it IS like that! U should see my Craftingroom. Chaos, just chaos and Im the only one who can master that room.
decarillion
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006 12:44:09 PM »

It is lovely as is, color and all. It looks delicate and feminine...and no, do not fringe it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sandraregina

Knewbie knitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006 01:00:32 PM »

A fringe would take away from all that lovely stitch work you've done. I'm not a big fan of the colour either, but it would probably look stunning against a dark contrasting top.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got knitting needles, and I'm not afraid to use them.

This year I'm doing the 'Na-No' again: www.nanowrimo.org
30 days + 50,000 words + No sleep + Too much caffeine = One Novel in One Month.
craftykate
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006 01:38:34 PM »

I agree with the previous posters, no fringe and where did you find the pattern? Beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftykate.etsy.com

Yep, it's a knit blog
http://craftykate-knits.blogspot.com/

wanna trade? I heart personal swaps.
IamSusie
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2006 01:39:40 PM »

It reminds me of the Branching Out knit scarf from Knitty :

I like yours better though. Say No to fringe!  I knit this scarf in a similar light green and I'm not so happy with that color either.  You should go ahead and dye it in a nice autumn color. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftyandnappy
Soul Crafter

soulcrafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2006 02:10:12 PM »

the stitching on your scarf is beautiful... fringe would be too much of a distraction.  I say leave it as it is!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
silvicique
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2006 03:19:21 PM »

I vote no on the fringe. Its very lovely. Where did you find that pattern?? I would like to crochet a scarf...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vernzap
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2006 04:00:25 PM »

It's very pretty! I'd skip the fringe. I think it looks lovely just as it is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ezri_B
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2006 06:28:24 AM »

Oh, it's gorgeous. If you don't like the color, I would also either gift it, (someone would feel very honoured to get a gift like this,) or dye it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest- http://pinterest.com/ezrib/

Looking to increase my 1.5 in scraps for a rainbow project. If interested in swapping let me know!
t1g3rl1ly
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2006 08:45:49 AM »

Beautiful! And I don't think it needs fringe either Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cottontop
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2006 01:59:28 AM »

It's so beautiful! That color really helps show off the scarf show over black...

How thick is the yarn? Like for a 50gram ball, how many yards or meters are there?
I'm going to show this to my sister, she has been knitting lace scarves lately but she likes to crochet too, I bet she'll want to make this. (I want to too, but I don't think I have the stamina to finish that much lace!)

Is the pattern available?

--Cottontop
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indeliblechange
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2006 03:34:51 AM »

thats so pretty, and yeah it does look like the knit scarf, which i really wanted to make but i cant knit. lol.
where did you get the pattern for this scarf? or did you just make it up?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rachelofthree
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2006 08:15:57 AM »

That is SO pretty!!!! (And I, as a general rule, dislike scarves.) 

I vote no fringe.  (Not a fringe lover, either!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

olenka

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2006 02:08:32 AM »

I'm overwhelmed by this responce. I had problems with my PC and I could not post.
First of all Thank you all fore your complements I'm glad you liked it. Also It was very good to hear your opinion about color and fringe  final decisions is hard fore me  Cheesy. I checked how it looks like with clothes I have and decided that just as many of you said there was no point to keep something I would not use after putting so much work in to it so I gave it to my friend. She has a lot of clothes that match the scarf and was weary happy to get it.

I always wonted that Knitty scarf. I even tried macking one but it was my first knitted project so I didn't get weary fare. (It is not good fore beginners but I plan practicing knitting.) I was weary happy to find crochet alternative fore Knitty pattern.

My yarn was 75% cotton 25% polyamid 50g= 205m
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011 04:38:24 PM by fantasticmio - Reason: removed copyright image » THIS ROCKS   Logged

diosaperdida
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2006 06:01:47 AM »

gorgeous...and definitely no fringe!

I do think it would be pretty in a wine color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.diosaperdida.net  - My website
http://knittingbare.blogspot.com/ painting, knitting, whatever...it's all art
http://painting.craftgossip.com/  decorative painting techniques, projects and product info.
pranita
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2006 06:12:33 AM »

it's gorgeous, i like the colour.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kahluakiggy
Tirelessly working to raise the next generation of Craftsters.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2006 06:43:58 AM »

Wow!  Thanks for the pattern!  Maybe I can do something with the loads of crochet cotton I have now!  lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What doesn't kill you makes you stranger. --The Joker

After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- Albus Dumbledore

Sokka: My first girlfriend turned into the moon.
Zuko: Thats rough, buddy.
amie

Get Hooked on Style!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2006 07:56:26 AM »

I vote no fringe too. It's lovely without.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

indeliblechange
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2006 06:39:51 PM »

thanks for the pattern  Smiley, maybe i'll try it out sometime...when i finish some of the other stuff i'm halfway through...hehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IamSusie
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2006 06:28:16 AM »

Thank you so much for posting the pattern.  I would like to make this scarf in a fall colorway. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting_nyxxie
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2006 07:00:53 AM »

Wow that is so so pertty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Are you in Middle TN Join us TN Craftsters!
Wist
TheCrochetPirate
Crochet Pirate

That's me, the Crochet Pirate!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2006 08:17:33 PM »

I absolutely LOVE this scarf! I also have the Branching Out pattern, but haven't been brave enough to try it. This I can do. Yipee! And I agree with everyone else, NO FRINGE! Its beautiful the way it is.

I do have one question, though. In the second pic, you have a bracelet on. It is hard to see, but I can tell that it is black, and it almost looks like a pineapple. Am I seeing wrong? Just curious....when I saw it, and had the idea that it was one, I thought, "Wow, that would be something unique and cool!" So if that is indeed what I think I saw, do you have any other pics of it, or a pattern or idea how you made it? And if its not what I think I am seeing, anyone got any ideas on how to turn a pineapple into a bracelet/cuff thing? Haha! I'm ok, really. Just tired. But I get my greatest ideas when I am tired. Haha!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheCrochetPirate
Crochet Pirate

That's me, the Crochet Pirate!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2006 11:06:06 AM »

Mkay, I have another question. I started this scarf, and the beginning chain was off....or from what I counted it was. I counted 33 as the beginning chain, but I ended up having to add two more chains to make the first row come out right.

From there I followed the pattern, but now I am confused how to repeat the pattern. The last row and the first row don't line up right when I start over with the first row. Does that make sense? What am I doing wrong? I really liked how this was coming out so far, and would hate to be stuck and not finish.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

olenka

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2006 04:55:43 PM »

TheCrochetPirate I cant help you with starting chain one I make are usually of  Grin so I make extra long "tail" (in the beginning) so I can add more chains if I need.
Now more complicated part of your question. I don't know how to explain it but lets try this:
Row 8 (last one shown) is identical with row 5 (counting from the bottom) so
8=5, 9=6, 10=7, 11=5 and so one. If this will not help you I will try come up with something better.

bracelet shown on the picture number 2 is shown in this post https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=49062.0. Link fore the pattern doesn't work unfortunately I have to look for copy somewhere in my files, but I have feeling that that is not how you imagine that bracelet from picture 2
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MopTopStumptown
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2006 06:57:49 AM »

gorgeous.  you should be so proud of yourself for finishing it!  don't dye it unless you have to (unfortunate coffee spill or something)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chips48
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2009 06:54:18 AM »

Huh

I absolutely adore this pattern, but unfortunately I don't know how to follow the symbol patterns.  Would you be able to send us the pattern written out in full, please?  I'd love to make this for my dearest friend who is really into lovely scarves, and she would adore this one.

Have a wonderful day.

Christine
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JenGoPop
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2009 08:39:45 AM »

I'm so glad I found this!  I'm looking for a scarf pattern to make for my mom for Christmas and this is IT!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No more blog + no more facebook = more time for crafting!

I'm also JenGoPop at Ravelry.
chutzpaw
ravelry and etsy id: KellyRenee77

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2009 10:16:23 AM »

Oh that is beautiful!  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Marikit
>^o^< meow

>^o^<

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2009 04:44:48 PM »

Its gorgeous enough as it is! I love the pattern and it should be great without a fringe. Keep it that way! <3 Congratulations on a beautiful creation!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dream it. Want it. Feel it. It's real.

m a r i k i t
miss_kitty1965
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2011 07:49:58 AM »

this scarf is beautiful!

I would love to make one but unfortunately I don't understand graphs.

Maybe one of you gifted ladies could decipher it for us graph challaged crocheters??

hugzzzzz
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LittleLaura
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2011 05:07:29 PM »

This scarf is gorgeous!  I've been meaning to make this pattern and now I just might  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RaggedRobin
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2011 09:07:19 PM »

Hello!

I know the pattern for this scarf was removed due to copyright reasons, but does anyone have information on where it is published (author, title, anything)?  I'd like to get the book/pamphlet/whatever and get this pattern.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
azabuey
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2011 04:53:59 PM »

This is lovely.  If you're not going to wear it as that color, then go ahead and dye it.  But I vote no on fringe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
caligal60
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2014 09:54:59 AM »

i have been searching for this pattern. you did a beautiful job. I am new to this site and cant find the pattern posted here. Am i mistaken that you offer it, or just not using this site correctly?   Sad 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
caligal60
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2015 05:25:09 PM »

beautiful.  I have been looking for this scarf pattern for a long time.  But this is the only sight that has the free pattern.  But i dont see it here   Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Snow Dyeing
Baby, It's Cold Outside
Meal Prep Monday: Autumn Vegetable Tian

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...