A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 314,293
Currently Running With Scissors:
452 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sew News Mag-Make a dress form + pattern review  (Read 4272 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

knuckstermom
« on: July 06, 2006 07:35:19 AM »

Sew news magazine has an excellent issue (Aug 2006) They have a tutorial on how to make a dress form and also a review of plus size pattern resources. They are good enough to print the directions for the dressform on line here....

http://www.sewnews.com/resources/library/0806form/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Keena
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006 08:09:07 AM »

the bad thing about them kinda dress forms is that you cant really pin to it like you want to cuz of the tape. its better off to make a stuffed one like i'm doing now...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knuckstermom
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006 03:35:33 PM »

I guess that's what they use the batting for in this design, How are you making yours? More like a stuffed doll, without all the tape business? How's it working out?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006 07:14:51 PM »

paper tape is a LOT more pinable than duct tape.

But the solid foam ones with a sewn cover are the best for pin to forms.  The only bear to making those yourself is the fitting of the cover.   Well I guess finding a block of foam big enough could be a pain... but the one we did for a friend of mine we glued sheet foam (like for cushions) together until we had a block large enough then used an electric knife to coarse cut the neck area.

Then we spent a day squishing foam and fighting the cover into place (and doing creative use and misuse of the English language)

Not something I want to try and do alone... no matter how nice that thing was finished.

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
Keena
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007 01:06:10 AM »

I guess that's what they use the batting for in this design, How are you making yours? More like a stuffed doll, without all the tape business? How's it working out?

i'm madd late, but this is how i did mine

first, i used an old dress form passed down from my mom. it was older than me with no padding or anything- just a plastic form, madd raggedy- but i got wonderful results Cheesy.
alright, to start off i had to get a dress pattern that had princess seams. i sewed it up on non-stretch denim. dark or light denim is optional

here's the pattern- i purchased it online:

pattern front
pattern back

i sewed it up excluding the sleeves and i purchased a dual jacket zipper that was about 60in long. i had NUMEROUS of fittings. in each fitting, i wore the same supportive bra. its also good to use this bra as the foundation for your dressform that you can not remove- so use a good supportive worn out bra. each time my teacher took it in more and more until it was skin tight and hugging every lump and bump. i couldnt even walk thats how tight it was and thats how tight you want it. the trouble area that i had was my lower back, i have a swayed back.

view 1
view 2
view 3- sway back

after the fittings and me constantly seam ripping and resewing, it was finally time for me to put it on my dress form and begin stuffing

i purchased a bundle of raw cotton from a upholstery fabric store. i paid about $25 for it. since i'm plus sized, i needed more cotton than the average bod- so i was safer with purchasing more and i had a nice remainder. along with the cotton, i purchased adhesive glue- but it wasnt really necessary because the cotton stuck to itself nicely. with that said, i put the bra on the dress form and stuffed it to add fullness. i padded the entire dress form to closely resemble my bod. since i have a healthy butt, i put an old stocking  on the dress form so that i can fill out my butt area and it can be firm- also to fill out my gut area more.

when you put the dress cover over it, the denim can sorta suppress it, so continue to add more cotton onto the dress form until you get the complete fullness

i later had to purchase PVC tubing to create a stand for my dressform. with the weight and dimensions of newly created form- the original stand couldnt handle the width and weight of it. so i had to go to home depot and purchase PVC to create a stand (the men there were madd helpful and literally created the stand for me- but i had to redo it myself due to some modifications). its was pretty tedious i must say. sawing and gluing together the pvc, but it was well worth it in the end.

the  black lines on the dress form is cord sewed onto it. so when i'm draping, i can feel where my bust,waist, and hip lines are placed without constantly looking under the fabric. i was madd lazy with mine- i didnt do it properly, i didnt "true" up my lines, but its there nonetheless. also i hemmed the bottom and created a drawstring to take it all in..

photos:

4- had to hand sew it closed
stand/stocking
PVC stand

if you have any questions i'll do my best to answer

« Last Edit: December 16, 2009 09:46:25 AM by Keena » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ranchelmarie
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007 05:37:06 AM »

Keena, that's awesome! I would love to make one of those, but I'm never the same weight for very long. I try to lose some and then I gain it back, I'm on a bit of a yoyo without really meaning to be. How easy would it be to make adjustments in size once you've got it all finished?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

peanutga11ery
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007 11:20:43 AM »

I learned two really valuable things at an ASG meeting about making dress forms:

1) find an old office chair at a garage sale and remove the wheels to use on it instead of trying to build a base of pvc or sewer pipe (as my dh did for mine, it kept falling over because he didn't account for the fact that I have to turn it to fit)

2) regardless of technique, you can make one and stuff it SMALLER than you are, and use cotton batting and make a cover of either thin foam or princess seamed shell/dress (you can buy a fitting shell pattern from mccall's.com and use gingham, I'm still struggling with mine..) and if you take great measurements (more than you ever have before, distance from hips to center front, hips to center back, etc etc ad infinitum!) you can make any form pretty darn close to you, and certainly usable.  Then you can pin into it too (mine is duct tape)

Oh, and 3) if you make a duct tape double, use black tape.  Remember, black makes things look smaller and man, the white was NOT making me happy--it's hard enough to confront yourself in 3D...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Keena
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007 12:08:36 PM »

Keena, that's awesome! I would love to make one of those, but I'm never the same weight for very long. I try to lose some and then I gain it back, I'm on a bit of a yoyo without really meaning to be. How easy would it be to make adjustments in size once you've got it all finished?

my teacher told me that with doing this technique, you can give or take 10 pounds using the dress form- especially since your weight flunctuates so much

but the advantage is that its your own personal form. no matter how much weight u gain or lose, you'll still have whatever bod shape you had when creating it. just when you sew things up, keep in mind that you need to "add" some or "take in" some.

hope that makes sense..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tangerine_Dreams
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007 07:01:44 PM »

Keena, you are totally my new hero!  I'm going to have to make one of these when we get a house!  (Our apt is too cluttered to have one hanging around!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..~Jessica~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: No Boil Mac and Cheese
@Home This Weekend: Give The Dog A Bone
September 20, 2017 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...