A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,771
Currently Running With Scissors:
165 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Scrapbooking Starter Kit?  (Read 4731 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
cotneyroo
« on: July 05, 2006 06:32:31 PM »

Hi folks. My M-i-L's birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks. She really wants to get into scrapbooking but isn't sure where to start. Since we live in different states, my plan is to get her a craft store gift card (probably Michaels since that's what we both have access to!) and give her a shopping list. But since I don't scrapbook, I thought I'd ask the experts for their advice.  Cheesy

If you had say $25 to spend and were starting from scratch, what would you buy and why?

Thanks in advance!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lilliputt
Beat, meaning down and out but full of intense conviction -- Jack Kerouac

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006 07:49:02 AM »

Okay, so, I just started scrapbooking myself and these are the main things I bought just to get started:
the book (obv), which included those plastic sheet holders (debating whether or not I like those)
a pack of 12x12 background sheets
a pack of cardstock (for backing photos) in multiple colors to compliment the backgrounds
gluesticks

and then a few odds and ends (appliqu stickers, etc.) for specific designs I had in mind.
You may also want to add in a book on scrapbooking for inspiration and further guidance.  Hope she likes it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cotneyroo
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006 03:56:40 PM »

Thank you so much! Does anyone have any specific brand recommendations (or recommendations against)? Anything you wish you'd bought right away when you were starting out?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tnt_r_us
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006 09:06:47 AM »

I am a die hard Creative Memories album fan.  I will use anything and everything in them but for the album themselves they cannot be beat.  They are a little higher than what you can find at craft store's but not much.  Creative Memories will stand behind their product with a life time guarantee.  I also use a lot of CM products (no I am not a consultant).  I have used other albums as gifts and such and have not been impressed.  My families photos will only go in Creative Memories.

I have been scrapbooking for 10 years and have seen a lot.  If you have any questions please e me back.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Staramaze
Sarah and the Stampstars

Crafting Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006 08:00:22 PM »

I love Rubber Stamps... they are affordable and they last forever.  An alphabet set would go a long way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Madeleine09
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006 11:23:48 AM »

This is probably past its usefullness, but I have been scrapbooking for a little while, and have learned to HATE gluesticks. The glue or tape runners they call them, are way nicer, less messy, and normally you can pick a picture up and move it once or twice once its been glued down if you don't like where its at.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

emt95348
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006 11:38:03 AM »

do you  have a jo-ann's in the area? they have some excellent boxed sets. most of them tend to have a theme. it contains most everything you need to get started on a scrapbooking project. if you get them on sale or with a coupon you can easily get one for under $25.00. Here is a link to a good one:

http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=54396&PRODID=169798
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A husband is someone who, after taking the trash out, gives the impression that he just cleaned the whole house.
cotneyroo
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006 06:50:31 PM »

thanks, folks, this is great! the giftcard present was a tremendous hit, and I've continued to pass along your fabulous suggestions. Much, much appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yllas
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006 01:37:06 AM »

you're MIL will probably need a paper trimmer as this helps with cutting straight edges (so a possible idea for xmas etc)
and how about a scrapbook mag or two for inspiration, always helps me if i've got scrappers block..and is well worth a read
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sally
emilyrena
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006 06:52:11 PM »

I am a die hard Creative Memories album fan. 

I agree. I just got my first scrapbooking kit, and it was from them, and I love it. It was $50, but was what I needed to get started (my mom came me the money to start my scrapbook).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emoxrobot
Making love with his ego Ziggy sucked up into his mind

Turn Your Wounds Into Wisdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006 12:31:52 AM »

I am a die hard Creative Memories album fan. 

I agree. I just got my first scrapbooking kit, and it was from them, and I love it. It was $50, but was what I needed to get started (my mom came me the money to start my scrapbook).

I thrd Creative Memories. Their scrapbooks are wonderful and their tools for scrapbooking make it easy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is totally unconscionable to subject defenseless animals to mutilation and death, just so a company can be the first to market a new shade of nail polish or a new, improved laundry detergent. It's cruel, it's brutal, it's inhumane, and most people don't want it."
Staramaze
Sarah and the Stampstars

Crafting Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2006 12:10:12 AM »

Stampin' Up also has some amazing new kits now... and stams that match the paper and alphabets... matching inks, ribbon, embelishments... so cute!  Check out www.splitcoaststampers.com and search "simply scrappin" for samples!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Clothespin Frame
Say "Cheese(burger)!"
Meal Prep Monday: Crockpot White Chili with Chicken

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...