A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Check out the current Craft Swaps available!
Total Members: 315,764
Currently Running With Scissors:
218 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Scrapbooking Starter Kit?  (Read 4728 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
cotneyroo
« on: July 05, 2006 06:32:31 PM »

Hi folks. My M-i-L's birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks. She really wants to get into scrapbooking but isn't sure where to start. Since we live in different states, my plan is to get her a craft store gift card (probably Michaels since that's what we both have access to!) and give her a shopping list. But since I don't scrapbook, I thought I'd ask the experts for their advice.  Cheesy

If you had say $25 to spend and were starting from scratch, what would you buy and why?

Thanks in advance!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lilliputt
Beat, meaning down and out but full of intense conviction -- Jack Kerouac

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006 07:49:02 AM »

Okay, so, I just started scrapbooking myself and these are the main things I bought just to get started:
the book (obv), which included those plastic sheet holders (debating whether or not I like those)
a pack of 12x12 background sheets
a pack of cardstock (for backing photos) in multiple colors to compliment the backgrounds
gluesticks

and then a few odds and ends (appliqu stickers, etc.) for specific designs I had in mind.
You may also want to add in a book on scrapbooking for inspiration and further guidance.  Hope she likes it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cotneyroo
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006 03:56:40 PM »

Thank you so much! Does anyone have any specific brand recommendations (or recommendations against)? Anything you wish you'd bought right away when you were starting out?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tnt_r_us
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006 09:06:47 AM »

I am a die hard Creative Memories album fan.  I will use anything and everything in them but for the album themselves they cannot be beat.  They are a little higher than what you can find at craft store's but not much.  Creative Memories will stand behind their product with a life time guarantee.  I also use a lot of CM products (no I am not a consultant).  I have used other albums as gifts and such and have not been impressed.  My families photos will only go in Creative Memories.

I have been scrapbooking for 10 years and have seen a lot.  If you have any questions please e me back.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Staramaze
Sarah and the Stampstars

Crafting Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006 08:00:22 PM »

I love Rubber Stamps... they are affordable and they last forever.  An alphabet set would go a long way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Madeleine09
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006 11:23:48 AM »

This is probably past its usefullness, but I have been scrapbooking for a little while, and have learned to HATE gluesticks. The glue or tape runners they call them, are way nicer, less messy, and normally you can pick a picture up and move it once or twice once its been glued down if you don't like where its at.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

emt95348
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006 11:38:03 AM »

do you  have a jo-ann's in the area? they have some excellent boxed sets. most of them tend to have a theme. it contains most everything you need to get started on a scrapbooking project. if you get them on sale or with a coupon you can easily get one for under $25.00. Here is a link to a good one:

http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=54396&PRODID=169798
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A husband is someone who, after taking the trash out, gives the impression that he just cleaned the whole house.
cotneyroo
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006 06:50:31 PM »

thanks, folks, this is great! the giftcard present was a tremendous hit, and I've continued to pass along your fabulous suggestions. Much, much appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yllas
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006 01:37:06 AM »

you're MIL will probably need a paper trimmer as this helps with cutting straight edges (so a possible idea for xmas etc)
and how about a scrapbook mag or two for inspiration, always helps me if i've got scrappers block..and is well worth a read
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sally
emilyrena
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006 06:52:11 PM »

I am a die hard Creative Memories album fan. 

I agree. I just got my first scrapbooking kit, and it was from them, and I love it. It was $50, but was what I needed to get started (my mom came me the money to start my scrapbook).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meal Prep Monday: Crockpot White Chili with Chicken
@Home This Weekend: Autumn Wreath
September 11, 2019 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...