A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 318,714
Currently Running With Scissors:
389 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Coned yarn?  (Read 709 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Fozziebear54
« on: July 03, 2006 06:03:37 PM »

I've been looking around for yarn to make a sweater out of, and saw some decent-looking coned wool on one website. In the interests of saving money ($24 for a sweater versus $50? Sounds good to me!) I'm considering buying the cones over some other tempting-sounding yarns. Is there anything I should know about coned yarns? I've heard that you reeeeally need to wash the yarn to get it clean; do any of you have good strategies for doing so?

Thanks. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dancingbarefoot
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006 09:01:31 PM »

Occasionally coned yarn has been oiled so that it goes through looms or knitting machines with less friction. In that case, you'd need to wash it to remove the oil, and swatching would be VERY important, since the washed yarn could potentially fluff up more than the oiled yarn. When I say oiled, though, I don't mean that it's completely saturated with oil. It's very minimal and just regular washing would get it out.

However, most coned yarn these days is not oiled at all, so it's exactly like the yarn you get in skeins. Just longer, so fewer ends to weave in. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1. All fungi are edible.
2. Some fungi are not edible more than once.
~~Terry Pratchett~~

my blog | index of free machine knitting patterns
Fozziebear54
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006 09:57:50 PM »

Ooh, that's good to hear. The less work it'll take to finish something, the better!

One of the yarns I'm looking at does still have oil in it, but it's such a large amount of yarn that I'd be able to spare some for a good-sized swatch or few.

P.S. I love your signature quote.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cotneyroo
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006 12:34:14 PM »

I've bought coned wool in the past and have had no problems with it. Most yarn sellers are very friendly and will answer all your questions, so it never hurts to ask!  In lots of cases the coned yarn will be exactly like the balled stuff-- you just might get a quantity discount. I did this with some Brown Sheep bulky a few months ago and was delighted with the result.

FYI: I find it MUCH easier to knit with if I re-roll into a ball before I use it. The cone jumps everywhere.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dancingbarefoot
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006 06:30:32 PM »

Ooh, that's good to hear. The less work it'll take to finish something, the better!

One of the yarns I'm looking at does still have oil in it, but it's such a large amount of yarn that I'd be able to spare some for a good-sized swatch or few.

Yeah, less finishing work is always good!

It's not necessarily bad if the yarn has some oil or lanolin - a lot of yarns intended for hand knitting do, too - but it's just good to be aware of it. That's why we're supposed to wash our swatches (although I admit that I don't always do it if the size of the FO doesn't matter).

Have fun with your sweater!  Smiley

P.S. I love your signature quote.

Thanks! I love Terry Pratchett!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1. All fungi are edible.
2. Some fungi are not edible more than once.
~~Terry Pratchett~~

my blog | index of free machine knitting patterns
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Shark week is coming!
@Home This Weekend: Frugal Floral Wreath
July 20th: National Moon Day

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...