A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip:  Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 315,684
Currently Running With Scissors:
189 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 144
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: quickie dress that anybody can make - Infinity Dress and link to tutorial  (Read 963631 times)
Tags for this thread: infinity_dress , tutorial_link  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
daydreamer
Dream dreams. Always.

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 26, 2006 10:44:19 PM »

I can't seem to find if this has been answered before; how have all of you finished your edges? Serged 'em?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
prettyandpetite

I always run with scissors.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #341 on: July 27, 2006 02:56:47 AM »

I made mine yesterday, but as i have real problems with showing my back and bra etc, I added a tube/large bad to the tummy section, then added the skirt to the bottom, and straps and smaller band to the top. I then realised that my skirt was too long and I could just get rid of the middle tube/large band and just have the skirt pulled up higher, as in, under the bust. Gah. So that is what I'll be doing in a few moments, and when I take pictures when I'm not still in PJ's, I'll post them. I'vedone mine in white and already I feel like Marilyn Monroe. I'll be making two more in black,one for Mum and one for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 27, 2006 06:08:01 AM »

daydreamer, i finish the edges of fabric that needs it, and don't finish the ones that don't.  Smiley

prettyandpetite, i wear the waist of my dresses just under the bust--it is hard to tell that in most of the pictures because the wrap of the straps creates a midriff. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do: www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
tickleagangster
« Reply #343 on: July 27, 2006 10:33:41 AM »

I didn't need to finish my edges either. I was just very careful to make my cuts really straight and with stretchy fabric you don't get any fray anyway.  I'm going to make one in black this weekend, but I'm wondering if anyone in California has found a fabric store that carries a nice selection of printed knits for this dress? I went in Joanne's in Ontario and they had nada, and what they did have was ugly and expensive!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Say hello to my lil' friend!
CraftinMyAssOff

~Crafty Goddess~

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 27, 2006 12:17:25 PM »

i tried and failed, the circle skirt was over estimated( hole was wayyyy too big), and my sewing machine hated me yesterday, it hates me everyday really.   Tongue  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I NEED shrinky dink straight pins for my sewing.  Can anyone help me? lol.

If anyone can make me a Chihuahua stuffie pincushion, I'd love u 4EVER !!
rostitchery

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: July 27, 2006 12:30:44 PM »

cutting a circle:

most people divide the circumference by 3 to get in a range but that cuts on the large side.

most patternmakers use true pi, rather than just 3, but 3 gives you a good place to start.

example:
my waist measures 32". 
32 divided by 3 = 10.67"  (diameter)
10.67 divided by 2 = 5.34"  (radius)

if i use true pi:
32 divided by 3.1415 (i only go four places) = 10.19"  (diameter)
10.19 divided by 2 = 5.10"  (radius)

the difference between dividing by 3 and dividing by true pi is less than 1/4".  true pi gives a smaller number, so you have room to adjust.  if you choose to divide by 3 instead of true pi, then you should start with a smaller waist number to allow for the variance.

it takes very very very very very little to make a huge difference.  less than 1/4" difference in cutting yields a full 1.5" difference in finished circumference.

example:
if i cut the 5.10" radius, i end up with a 32" waist circumference.  if i cut the 5.34" radius, i end up with 33.5" waist circumference.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

XbeautifulXletdownX
« Reply #346 on: July 27, 2006 04:34:27 PM »

I finally made one!!!!  my next one will definately be stretch fabric....and not see through material...because i had to make two layers for my skirt....but i like the poofyness.

this is my favorite way to wear it....sorry horrible picture.

i added a white tshirt scrap around the middle....because i dont have a white belt

and the pin i put on it....

i cant wait to make another one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ambear
if you want me to, i'll cook and sew.

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 27, 2006 06:07:39 PM »

heres one i made for my friend jo
she plans to wear to a wedding back home in ireland
its modified to be way shorter, the way she likes things. also please note the back is quite lovely but she wouldnt take off her funny bra for the photo.

and then i made myself one! cant take photos of myself, so ill post later.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010 08:51:40 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

je suis riche, mais sans un sous.
http://www.sambaelegua.com/listen.html
rostitchery

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: July 27, 2006 06:44:21 PM »

LAST CALL!

only four people have given me their permission to include their dresses in the album--does anybody else want to be included?  if so, i need you to write to me by private email or at least by PM. 

i'm planning to finish the album and new tutorial this weekend, so please let me know if you want to be included, i can't include anybody without your express permission.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CG
« Reply #349 on: July 27, 2006 08:46:34 PM »

I haven't actually read-back to the post where you're asking about including pictures... but You're welcome to use the picture I linked to in flickr. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 144 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Dryer Sheets
August 14, 2019 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Rainbow Patchwork Skirt

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...