A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 313,591
Currently Running With Scissors:
224 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 145
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: quickie dress that anybody can make - Infinity Dress and link to tutorial  (Read 925917 times)
Tags for this thread: infinity_dress , tutorial_link  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

rostitchery

almost perfect is good enough

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 13, 2006 10:41:12 AM »

wow, except for the fact that my dress is poly knit, not rayon jersey, and my skirt is 26", not 28", it looks exactly like the one i made!!!

yam-yam, i think her dress is high in front because of the way she is wearing it--if you look at the waistband, you can see it sloping toward the back.  if you want to make one that is intentionally shorter in front, you just cut it shorter.  Smiley  ok, technically what you do is move the waistline so that it is off-center within the circle (you do it that way to preserve the drape). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who i am: www.ella-echo.com
what i do: www.rostitchery.com

"when was the last time you did something for the first time?"
humblestumble
Craftster enhances life.

Retro crafty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: July 13, 2006 10:57:22 AM »

When you click "view full collection" after the $230 dress, How do you suppose they made those black and white straps!? I am betting the white waistband is just that, a white waistband, but the two tone strap?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.amschwengler.com

http://craftster.ourtoolbar.com <-- I made a Craftster toolbar for us obsessed Craftster members

"Takes 2 steps to get up and one to fall down."
CraftyFox
« Reply #202 on: July 13, 2006 11:15:28 AM »

humblestumble - i think the two tone straps are just two thinner straps, one in each colour, that are sewn together lengthwise.  it's a nice idea. 

i just love how versatile this dress is!  depending on the fabric and how you wrap it, the look is completely different.  i have some magenta jersey hanging around, and i just went out and bought a black and white print that was on sale.  so i'll be back soon with some pics Smiley

thank you so much rostitchery!! 

tatjana
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a knit by the seat of her pants kinda gal.
 Crafty Fox
yam-yam
« Reply #203 on: July 13, 2006 11:42:14 AM »

How did you guys figure out the twists and folds for each "design" of the dress? Just by looking at the models? I know there were a couple of tutorials on the original "infinity dress" website, but personally, I didn't really like them, and I much prefer the ones I've seen in this forum.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
onecraftybitch
« Reply #204 on: July 13, 2006 12:51:08 PM »

Ziabox- Thanks for the measurments!

I think that I may finally understand how to sew the waistband. We shall see when I actually get my hands on some fabric.

Does anyone want to post a picture of the waist/band for the visual learner here? Sometime I really do need each bloody step spelled out. I would really appriciate it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

essenceiz
Mastermind

Essenceizessential

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 13, 2006 01:09:13 PM »

this is a seriously an amazing dress im goin to attempt this!! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

God gives the Talent we must give the effort
ziabox
« Reply #206 on: July 13, 2006 01:33:34 PM »

onecraftybitch- i had to read the instruction over and over too see if i was doing ti right hehehe.  I think rostitchery's picture explains the waist band very well .. here's the link http://rowena.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/infinity_dress_how_to_serge_close_up_1.jpg, i hope she doesnt mind.

and i took some pics (not the best sorry) to see if they could help you

you sew the straps in between the skirt and the band, the band is folded in half.  hope this makes any sense.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tovi

spread kisses!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: July 13, 2006 01:50:32 PM »

i must say
that every morning i wake up and
i watch this tread with my morning coffe...
 Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewing is the new shopping!
iwriteplays
« Reply #208 on: July 13, 2006 02:21:26 PM »

I read this thread on a daily basis, too. It's great! I just ordered a bunch more jersey fabric so I can make more and more of these, and I wanted to give y'all a heads-up: Fabric.com has a BUNCH of tissue-knit jersey (both cotton and polyester) for $1.99/yard

That's cheap, people!

Go and get some before they run out Smiley That's what I did!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyFox
« Reply #209 on: July 13, 2006 02:25:48 PM »

YAY!!!  I'm done!  and now i have not 1 but 2 dresses.  

the first is magenta/fuchsia jersey i already had. i had to make the straps a little shorter when i ran out of fabric length, but i think it's ok.  i think i will sew the straps on again tho, because i'd like more overlap of the straps for coverage, especially since i have less strap to wrap.i also need to think of ways to wrap that maybe don't emphasize the bust as much, for some reason the solid fabric makes it look huge  
i bought some fabric today on sale for 2 euro/m for the b/w dress.... i overlapped the straps a bit more, which was better, and i love the print!  it makes for a very fun version of this dress. i love strapless dresses, but they never fit right, and require strapless bras which i find really uncomfortable. so finally having a strapless or anything else dress is just the bomb!!!   Grin

http://static.flickr.com/59/188980552_41ef4c6a2b_o.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/77/188980553_0bacaf32eb_o.jpg

« Last Edit: September 26, 2011 05:56:26 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

a knit by the seat of her pants kinda gal.
 Crafty Fox
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 145 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Pom Pom Shades
February 21, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Ribbon Scarf

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...