A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster can disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 314,369
Currently Running With Scissors:
186 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Book of Crochet edgings?  (Read 866 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Sereknitty
« on: June 29, 2006 07:20:25 AM »

I have searched the forum and I didn't see what I was looking for.  I am interested in a book that shows lots of different crochet edgings for projects.  I am a knitter, but it would be nice to be able to crochet edges on projects that need that little something extra.

Any recommendations?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Most knitters drink tea or coffee whilst knitting..... I drink bourbon.
lvb56003
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006 07:38:46 AM »

http://crochet.about.com/

There are a lot of edgings online have you did a search?  Also you may want to try your local library for crochet books.  Also if you want to buy a book you can go to anniesattic.com or herrschners.com.

Email me offline, I can recommend some books from my library.

lvb56003@yahoo.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
polkadotdog
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006 04:43:36 PM »

I have an older book from Leisure Arts -- #2924 111 Easy Edgings.  It's an awesome book because it is really easy to adjust the edgings to any length you need.  Most edgings are worked from a long crochet chain so there is a lot of complicated arithmatic to figure out how long it needs to be.  These are worked back and forth from top to bottom, which makes it a lot simpler.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want something sparkly and fun??  Click here!!   www.polkadotdog.etsy.com

Looking for some original and unusual art?  Here's some!  www.artbystu.etsy.com
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006 05:41:29 PM »

I'm not sure if it is out yet, but there is a book called Knitting Loves Crochet, by Candi Jensen which has knitted designs accented with crochet - take a look at that and see what you think.  Otherwise, there are lots of sites that give examples of crocheted lace which can be adapted  to edgings.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006 07:55:50 PM »

Don't forget to check your thrift stores!  I've got two vintage booklets, one from the 40's, one from the 50's that are both devoted to crocheted (and knitted!!) edges.  Some are the type you'd make, then sew on, some are worked from a chain, so you could easily adapt them working from a knitted edge.  And the old workbasket magazines I've got have oodles of crocheted edgings in them as well.  Oh, and you could also check out doily patterns.  Most doilies have some kind of edge along the outside that could be adapted (if you can read crochet patterns enough to identify where the "edging" starts) to being worked of a knitted edge.  So, unless you really want a compendium of some sort (like that book that Onyxnox mentioned, which would be a great place to start) my advice is to look around and see what you like, then see if you can get your hands on patterns that would mimic that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes I post at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin! Actually, really, find me almost everywhere as Lothruin!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Dragonflies in the Yard
Tute Tuesday: Mini Messenger Bag
Black and White and Red All Over

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...