A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 318,163
Currently Running With Scissors:
476 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crocheted Headphone Covers! (a tad img heavy)  (Read 24870 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Skysong

Check out Josh's new Christmas album NOL!

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2006 07:34:52 PM »

My favorite headphones were starting to look pretty dingy; the foam was falling off, and the paint was peeling off

(the other side was even worse - it had no foam!)

So, I was going to use some fabric that I had to cover the earpieces, but I found that I didn't have any elastic to hold my headphone covers on. I was in a bit of a dilemma, until I saw the bright turquoise chunky wool/acrylic blend lying in my yarn stash - then I thought, why not crochet covers! So I did.

Inside View:

Side View:

Front View:

Now I have the coolest headphones in town, and the wool will keep my ears warm when fall comes, and the bulk of the yarn makes the headphones softer to sleep on. Yay!

How I did it:
    I really just single-crocheted a circle until it was slightly smaller than the headphone, then I did one row of double crochet to bend around the sides, and then I single-crochet decreased like mad to get the covers to stay on. If you want more detailed directions, pm me.

Opinions, Suggestions? Should I single crochet around the remaining plastic and the cord?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010 12:32:12 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Patience is a virtue
 Tolerance is a gift
 Emotions are limiters
 Apathy is death
 Paradoxes rule us all the time"               From my boyfriend's poem, "Lost Hope"
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Need Pink Floyd stamps for hubby! Will Swap!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006 08:01:25 PM »

I love you for posting this!!  I was going to throw out my headset because the foam got yuck and I couldn't find any to fit!!  What a wonderful idea!  I have some soft cotton baby yarn just right for this--YAY!

You are sweet to post the instructions!!  I am going to be lazy and just do the ears!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Skysong

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006 08:14:52 PM »

Yay! At least one other person thinks these are cool - my mom just thinks that I'm crazy!
You are sweet to post the instructions!!  I am going to be lazy and just do the ears!!

Thanks! I figured someone would want to do the same, and it was just easier to put the guidelines in at the beginning. I just did the ears for now - I can't decide if it will look cool or overkill with the other accents
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Patience is a virtue
 Tolerance is a gift
 Emotions are limiters
 Apathy is death
 Paradoxes rule us all the time"               From my boyfriend's poem, "Lost Hope"
TheBeckster
I'm just awesome

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006 08:15:18 PM »

wow those are awesome! I'm definitely going to have to try that with my headphones
THIS ROCKS   Logged

forget regret or life is yours to miss.
dishwasher182
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006 08:21:34 PM »

Those are sooo awesome! i'm jelous! My headphones look exactly like your 'before' picture Sad Too bad i don't crochet- but my mom does... hmmm maybe i'll show her this post.. haha Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pfirsch

Una vida de miedo es una media vida

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006 02:30:00 PM »

Cool!  Cool  I did the same thing for my boyfriend's old headphones!  I used to love to wear them even if I wasn't listening to anything.

I used double crochet instead of single crochet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Make All Things, especially from stash

Need Pink Floyd stamps for hubby! Will Swap!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006 04:52:14 PM »

Kewl--not sure if hubby would like me to crochet over his stereo headphones but I might have to do it anyway!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ConcreteJungler
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006 05:45:48 PM »

That is so cool!  I don't even own any headphones but I want to now, just so I can look as cool as you! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Skysong

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006 07:24:38 PM »

Thanks, guys! I knew that craftster would think it was cool!
I'm definitely going to have to try that with my headphones
Post pictures if you do!

Those are sooo awesome! i'm jealous! My headphones look exactly like your 'before' picture Sad Too bad i don't crochet- but my mom does... hmmm maybe i'll show her this post.. haha Smiley
It's not that hard - if your mom doesn't want to crochet around your headphones (as I assume she wouldn't, just because it's a little awkward and it's an odd request), just ask her to teach you how to do single crochet and double crochet in the round and single crochet decreases, and you can do it yourself!

I did the same thing for my boyfriend's old headphones!
I used double crochet instead of single crochet.
I guess you beat me to this idea - and me, thinking I was being original, tsk, tsk. I thought about doing it in double crochet, but I really want to cover the earpiece, since there was nothing underneath it (at least on one side), so I opted to do mostly single crochet, with one row of double to make it easier to bend over the edges
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Patience is a virtue
 Tolerance is a gift
 Emotions are limiters
 Apathy is death
AlmondEyes121
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006 08:23:08 PM »

Aww so cute and clever! I'm gonna make me some. Thanks for the idea. the same was happening to mine too. ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Always Almond ^_^
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: An Orb For Your Yard
Tute Tuesday: Bamboo Project Bag
How Does Your Garden Grow?

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...