A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 314,372
Currently Running With Scissors:
220 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Yeah, I made it myself" comments?  (Read 5354 times)
Tags for this thread: book_review  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

solid_silver_cloud
« on: June 24, 2006 08:42:14 AM »

I saw this book in my local shop and it looks pretty good.

Have any of you bought it?
Liked it?
HATED it?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0297851179/026-6149555-3182053?v=glance&n=266239

(i think it may only be availible in the UK?)

I'd love some veiws!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

travel and lifestyle blog:
www.blollings.wordpress.com
butterflygirl
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006 05:27:54 PM »

I LOVE it! I have been sewing since I was not much more than a toddler and I'm almost middle aged now and I can't put it down, I've read it cover to cover tons of times. The author has pretty much the same views as me on sewing (short cuts etc) and while it hasn't taught me much it is an excellent beginners book and has served to reassure me that my way of sewing is fine. Her writing style is great too, very readable.
I would definitely say BUY IT!!

(sorry, a bit gushy, don't often have that reaction to books. Except maybe Generation T and Happy Hooker)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
solid_silver_cloud
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006 01:16:02 AM »

I bought the book!

It really is fantastic. For other people i'd point out the patterns aren't there to follow 100%, just a kind of nudge along the way if you see what i mean. (i think that's because they only come in one size and are wa-hay to big for me!). It's got loads of ideas in though. I recommend to it to anybody who wants to sew at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sirvinya
Cross stitch lover

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006 08:41:36 AM »

I bought it a couple of weeks ago and I'm really enjoying it. It is completely basic but that's the point. She shows you the most simple way and you build from there. I enjoyed the chapter on making stuff from charity shop curtains, etc as that's what I enjoy doing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vintage fabric auctions - 1950's & 60's pattern and fabric 8th Oct!!
loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006 08:46:58 AM »

I love it, the only thing I'd suggest is that it'd be good to see some of the finished projects. otherwise I think it's fab! great for inspiration too  Grin Lou xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
hm100
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006 12:46:00 PM »

I LOVE IT. I got it out the library just the other day, and for about a month now i've been ogling craftster's dress and stuff but i didn't know how to do anything, so its really helped me and i'm planning on starting that a-line dress tomorrow

THIS ROCKS   Logged
solid_silver_cloud
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006 10:10:35 AM »

i agree it woulkd be good to see the ifnished product, especially on a person. However, there is a little bit of excitement as you never know quite how it will turn out  Wink

I'd love to see how the a-line dress comes up
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006 10:19:10 AM »

you're right.. I guess maybe the author didn't want finished pictures on all of them so it's more of a surprise?? Because that way no-ones projects will look the same?? Hmm pretty cool theory i guess! Lou  Grin x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
J4Joolz
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006 03:46:11 PM »

I'd never heard of this book until I read this thread a couple of months ago, so I reserved it from my local library and it arrived a few weeks ago.  I'm completely new to sewing (other than making a pencil case and half a dress at school around 30 years ago!), and I have to say I love this book. 

I recently bought a sewing machine on impulse (TV shopping channels - what can I say?) only intending to make things such as curtains, cushions covers, etc.  I've since bought loads of clothing patterns and fabrics but have been a bit too scared to actually start making any of them.  Tonight I made my first item of clothing, using the information in the book.  It is a simple A-line skirt that cost me a grand total of 1.00   Grin which was made up of half of a second-hand quilt cover, plus a zip.   I've gotta love a book that gets me a new skirt for 1.00 (well, plus the 70p I paid to reserve it at the library).

Julie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bond Girl
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2006 11:50:04 PM »

Congrats on your skirt, J4Julz Wink  Did you post a pic of it anywhere on Craftster?

So may I ask, are there illustrated instructions for the projects in this book?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm very into Britney Spears' early work, before she sold out, so mostly her, um, finger painting and macaroni art.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Dragonflies in the Yard
Tute Tuesday: Mini Messenger Bag
Black and White and Red All Over

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...