A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 313,856
Currently Running With Scissors:
415 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tesselated Fishies Afghan KAL?  (Read 3106 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Locutus137
« on: June 19, 2006 11:40:12 AM »

I've started this and these little fishies are addictive to knit.  Quick and fun.  I think I'll post this in the Discussion area too as a lot of people were interested in doing this.  I've got a much easier way to do it which will eliminate a lot of the seaming.  Pattern found here:

http://knittingarrows.blogspot.com/2006/04/fish-return.html

I am using Caron Simply Soft Brights - double stranded on size 10 needles.  They are not curling at all which was a problem I think for some people.  When I finished 1 fish, I did not bind off, I  simply left it on the needle.  Then I did another (I have 2 pairs of sz 10) and didn't bind it off.  Then, I did a 3 needle bind off for the 2 fish - tail to tail.  Then, I went and picked up 6 sts on the mouth of one fish and started knitting in the alternate color.  This way, you can pretty much just knit the afghan in strips.  Here is my progress so far.  Please excuse the photo quality as I did it with my cell phone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MostlyHarmless
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006 01:22:32 PM »

I saw something about this pattern  while ago, and I love how it looks...but sadly, I don't have time for this right now. I cant wait to see how yours turns out though. It looks nice so far. Are you just doing the two colors, the blue and the purple, or will you have more colors?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Locutus137
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006 01:52:00 PM »

I saw something about this pattern  while ago, and I love how it looks...but sadly, I don't have time for this right now. I cant wait to see how yours turns out though. It looks nice so far. Are you just doing the two colors, the blue and the purple, or will you have more colors?
I'm doing 6 colors - Turquoise, Purple, Watermelon, Yellow, Orange, Lime Green.  Havent decided exactly how I'm going to lay them out yet.  This is to be a Christmas gift for my sister and SO - he was a Marine Biology major and they have fish everywhere in their house. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hootsister
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006 06:51:34 AM »

I love this pattern!  I am dying to try it but have too much on my plate at the moment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
briteros
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006 10:51:03 PM »

I've actually done one of these already, and it was a fun, portable knit (if you do each piece individually).
Here's the pic of the FO, I double-stranded some Lion Brand Pound of Love acrylic yarn to make it a fluffy, yet easy-to-wash baby blanket Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blogging away at purly brites

visit my etsy store! www.yarn-lust.com
hiptobeme
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006 05:45:55 PM »

Ooooo sign me up! I fell in love with this pattern a year ago and a knitalong should be the push I need to start , I hope Wink Hopefully this weekend Ill pick up the yarn. I want to make this for my son and hes real picky about scratchy yarns so I might do the Caron Simply soft too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Taking a break from Craftster so I can finish up my swaps!
Locutus137
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006 08:00:37 PM »

Ooooo sign me up! I fell in love with this pattern a year ago and a knitalong should be the push I need to start , I hope Wink Hopefully this weekend Ill pick up the yarn. I want to make this for my son and hes real picky about scratchy yarns so I might do the Caron Simply soft too.
Yay!  I'm really picky about scratchy yarns too - I was pleasantly surprised at the Simply Soft.... and it's cheap!  Can't beat that!  =)  I've got  15 fish done and had next to no time to knit so they're coming along pretty quickly.  I'm thinking of making some giant fish when I'm done with this and sewing them into throw pillows, but that'll be down the road.  I'll try and take pics tomorrow of my progress..  It'll be fun to have a partner!
I've actually done one of these already, and it was a fun, portable knit (if you do each piece individually).
Here's the pic of the FO, I double-stranded some Lion Brand Pound of Love acrylic yarn to make it a fluffy, yet easy-to-wash baby blanket Smiley
Love the baby blanket.  I may have to make a smaller version for my son - if I don't get sick of making fish by the time I'm through with this one.  I'm doing 8 fish wide.... haven't decided on how many rows I"ll need yet, but I'm thinking I'll have to make somewhere around  150 and 200 of these little suckers.  So, best case scenario I'm 10% done, lol. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
briteros
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006 03:13:54 AM »

I'm doing 8 fish wide.... haven't decided on how many rows I"ll need yet, but I'm thinking I'll have to make somewhere around  150 and 200 of these little suckers.

GAH that's a whole lotta fish! And it's part of the reason why I went double-stranded... bigger fishies meant fewer that I'd have to knit! Good luck on your fish monstrosity Smiley I will be cheering you on the whole way  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blogging away at purly brites

visit my etsy store! www.yarn-lust.com
hiptobeme
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006 08:52:53 PM »

Picked up some limegreen simply soft to get started. It looks like my son likes the bright colors Roll Eyes but Ill try my best to not make it too bright , maybe throw in a few muted color fish in there. Wish me luck!
M
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Taking a break from Craftster so I can finish up my swaps!
BlondieKate

^^^I wish!!^^^

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006 08:54:22 AM »

If anyone's thinking of using Caron Simply Soft for this project, it's on sale this week at Hobby Lobby for 99 cents!

Oh, and this is on "the list" for me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Shark week is coming!
@Home This Weekend: Frugal Floral Wreath
July 20th: National Moon Day

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...