A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,480
Currently Running With Scissors:
146 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: eyelet setter, help needed  (Read 1813 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
cherryrose
« on: June 18, 2006 02:54:30 AM »

So I bought this eyelet setter recently:

http://www.makingmemories.com/products/tools/usetter.cfm

And I don't really know how to use it, what is the use of a cone tip and what are these inches 1/16", 1/8", 3/16", in centimetres?

I'd like to know how it all works,  ik says on the back that I should get an hole punch to, but aren't there other ways of making holes in the paper?
Thanks very much

THIS ROCKS   Logged

*I'm up for personal swaps!*
http://www.wists.com/cherryrose
angelofmusic

Cinderella's Castle: from the Rose Garden

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006 09:57:55 PM »

And I don't really know how to use it, what is the use of a cone tip and what are these inches 1/16", 1/8", 3/16", in centimetres?

I'd like to know how it all works,  ik says on the back that I should get an hole punch to, but aren't there other ways of making holes in the paper?
Thanks very much
I have this exact same eyelet setter.
Cone tip: I have no idea what it's for.  I have one too, but I never use it.  Can anyone else chime in to solve this mystery?
Standard to Metric Conversions (these are rounded to 3 decimal places)
1/16" = 0.159cm
1/8" = 0.318 cm
3/16" = 0.476 cm
How it all works (If this doesn't make sense, let me know & I'll post a photo tutorial.):
1. You must punch a hole in your paper the size of the eyelet you plan to use.  So if you are doing a 1/8" eyelet, you need a 1/8" hole punch (I have a hand punch for this).  If you don't have a punch, you can "force" a hole by either using a sharp pencil or something pointy to poke a small hole in the paper then forcing the eyelet through, however, this can make your paper bend, crinkle, or rip.
2. Put the eyelet through the hole with the smooth rounded flat side against the front of the paper.
3. Turn the paper with the eyelet over to the back side.  You should see the back of the paper & the straight column/cylinder shaped back of the eyelet that sticks up.  You'll want to do this on a hard surface.  Make certain you put something underneath as well to prevent gouging your surface...I use either an eyelet setting mat (mine looks kind of like this, but green http://www.makingmemories.com/products/tools/settingmat.cfm) or a rotary mat.
4. Choose the tip for the eyelet setter that matches with your eyelet size.  If you are right handed hold the tool in your left and vice-versa.
5. Place the tip of the tool up on the end of the eyelet and make sure you are holding it very straight!  You will feel it when it is set in the eyelet correctly because it won't slide around (that doesn't make much sense...I know!).
6.  You'll need a hammer/hard rubber mallet for this step.  Holding the eyelet setter straight up and down on the eyelet, whack the end of the tool three - four times with the hammer.  This will set the eyelet.
7.  Remove the tool and you should see the end of the eyelet has now flattened out and fanned out.
Hope that helped.  I'll make a photo tutorial tonight and post it either tonight or tomorrow for you to make it clearer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Frogs have it easy...they can eat what bugs them!
cherryrose
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006 03:39:12 AM »

Thank you so much! I think I get it now! So you think it would be better to buy a hole punch to? How much costs a hole punch, and a setting mat?
I can use any kind of hammer I guess, or are there special hammers to?
Thanks for your help!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

angelofmusic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006 08:59:11 PM »

You're welcome.
I'm still working on my photo tutorial.  I'll get it up tomorrow maybe.
Anyway.
Hammer: No special hammer...I use the one that came with my tool kit that had screwdrivers, nails, tape measure, etc.  Just use one that you already have.
Hole Punch: Mine was only about $2 at Hobby Lobby...they don't cost much.
Setting Mat: My little one was (I think) $4.99 regular, but I got it on a half off sale at Hobby Lobby for $2.50.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cherryrose
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006 03:09:21 AM »

Were I  live there is no hobby lobby, but maybe I can get it for a good price at Ebay or something
THIS ROCKS   Logged

angelofmusic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006 02:13:15 PM »

Check some online shops too.  I'll look later tonight when I get home.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knit~It~Good
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006 09:57:07 AM »

OMG!!!! I'm so glad someone posted on how to use these. I have one and I haven't been able to figure out how to use it. But now i know!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Risotto
@Home This Weekend: Quick Wall Art
Tute Tuesday: Heirloom Cowgirl Pillow

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...