A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November Crafting Tips & Tricks: Check out Kittykill's latest DIY video, How to Make Glowing Wax Globes!
Total Members: 314,625
Currently Running With Scissors:
265 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Blackberry recipes?  (Read 1323 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

policyoftruth
"Eighth time's the charm!"

Fudgesicles?

View Profile WWW
« on: June 15, 2006 04:13:04 PM »

Turns out there are several blackberry bushes growing along our long driveway, and my siblings and I have taken to picking them in the last several days. So far we've got a cereal bowl full, which is growing everyday. Does anyone have any suggestions as what to make with them? I thought about ice cream, but if anyone has some links to tried recipes that would be great.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sew Its For You
Everyone should be a little more kind, even me.

formally known as joolz

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006 07:26:08 AM »

I do not have the exact recipe with me at work, but I make cobbler with them.  My husband loves all sorts of berries and I adapted the recipe I use from a peach cobbler recipe but try looking for recipes.  I make them in individual size portins and he loves it with ice cream on top.  Depending on what berries are in season I use strawberries, raspberries, blueberris, blackberries, erc.. and mix them up.  Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006 07:45:16 AM »

Blackberry ribs!

4 teaspoons chili powder
4 garlic cloves -- minced
1 teaspoon salt
2 slabs baby back pork ribs (about 2 pounds)
2 1/2 cups fresh blackberries or frozen -- thawed
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup minced peeled fresh ginger
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce

Preheat oven to 400F. Mix chili powder, garlic, and salt in small bowl; rub mixture into ribs. Place ribs on large rimmed baking sheet, meaty side up. Bake ribs 50 minutes.
Meanwhile, puree remaining ingredients in blender until almost smooth. Strain blackberry puree into heavy medium saucepan; discard solids in sieve. Cook puree over medium-high heat until reduced to 1 cup, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.

Brush ribs with enough sauce to coat. Continue baking until sauce browns and forms thick glaze, about 10 minutes longer. Cut slabs between bones into individual ribs. Serve with remaining blackberry sauce.

Source:
"Bon Apptit
March 2005"

Also, good with pork or chicken:
Cook your pork or chicken in a pan/remove meat and add 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar; add 1/2 cup of blackberries, crushed, and cook until nice and syrupy. If too tart, add a tiny bit of sugar.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ladybugz1125
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006 10:21:49 PM »

Smoothies!

I would add a banana, ice cream (vanilla or be daring and use chocolate!) and a bit of milk. No milk if you want a thicker shake.

You can really add whatever fruits you like! If you aren't one for dairy use ice or freeze the banana and add soy milk!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ManiacChick
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006 07:46:15 AM »

Oh lucky.
In the woods behind my house We have tons of blackberry bushes but they aren't ripe yet.
I just like washing them and sprinkling them with honey or sugar.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sew Its For You
Everyone should be a little more kind, even me.

formally known as joolz

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006 09:18:36 AM »

here is the recipe I make...I finally got it sorry it took so long!

This is the recipe I  use to make cobbler but instead of peaches I use berries, and for the light corn-oil spread I use light smart balance.  Hope you like this...

6 large peaches (or berries)
sugar
all purpose flour
3 tablespoons light corn-oil spread
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.  Peel peaches ( or wash berries).  In a large bowl toss fruit with 1/4 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons flour.  Spoon each mixture into 5 8 ounce ramekins or custard cups.

2. In a small bowl, with hand, mix light corn oil spread cinnamon, 1/3 cup flour and 3 tablespoons sugar until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Sprinkle mixture on top of the fruit cups.

3. Place ramekins on a jelly-roll pan  for easier handling.  Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until mixture is bubbly and crumb topping is golden brown.  Serve warm. Makes 5 servings.

Each serving is about 230 calories, 5 grams fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 1 mg sodium ( with peaches)

I put ice cream on top for my husband.  I can't vouch for how good its taste cause I do not like cobbler but everyone I make it for seems to love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

unlistedtrack28
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006 12:18:25 PM »

Here's a link with TONS Blackberry recipes! Hope these help!  Grin

http://www.justberryrecipes.com/inxbla.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitster88
aka christinanne

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch cherry bomb

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006 04:36:46 PM »

ive wanted to make blackberry jam to use for a black berry version of linzer tortes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look what youve done to me now, youve made me perfect
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Clipboard Photo Display
Party with a Pumpkin Challenge Winner: Floral Pumpkin Centerpiece
November 15, 2017 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...