A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and encouraged! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 315,372
Currently Running With Scissors:
256 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crocheted Newsie-ish hat  (Read 3967 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

lenagogan
« on: July 28, 2004 12:31:57 AM »

This is my first project... I don't really have any formal crochet training although I'm a pretty decent knitter. And I just made it up as I went along. I can't complain about the end results.
http://jay.rupture.net/photo/Crocheted%20Hat%207.28.04/IMG_2434.JPG
http://jay.rupture.net/photo/Crocheted%20Hat%207.28.04/IMG_2437.JPG
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011 08:22:20 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
cliodna00
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004 03:58:45 PM »

i really like it!  Cheesy  do you think you could post a pattern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I was created free, born free, and live free..." -Haec Vir
vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004 04:52:08 PM »

thats so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
lenagogan
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2004 10:32:23 PM »

Er... I kinda made it up as I went along. Basically what I did is I used single, double and treble crochet to make the hat. I started off by making a chain of six stitches, and then worked off of that, putting enough stitches in to make a round, basically flat disk. That means that for each stitch in the previous concentric circle, I was putting in 2-3 more stitches to keep it flat (a 1:2 or 1:3 ratio; think pi=3.14). Once it fit over the crown of my head (it looked like a big pancake sitting on top), I started to shape it inwards, by a. making the stitch ratio smaller (1:1 stitch or 1:2 stitches for each larger circle) and b. using single stitch in the front, double on the sides and treble in the back. That allows the back to grow significantly in proportion to the front and sides (you can kinda see that in the first photo). I then started doing one stitch for every one or two stitches (1:1 or 2:1), while continuing to allow the back to grow longer than the front. I tried it on a lot at this point, as it needed to fall properly on my head while not being too loose/tight. When I was getting towards the end, instead of doing single crochet in the front of the hat, I changed dramatically and started doing double crochet at a 1:3 ratio to make the brim. I made the top brim wide enough after two turns. The next time around, I single crocheted onto the bottom inside of the brim, and then used that to create a duplicate bottom brim underneath that. I inserted some cardboard shaped in a semi-moon between the two, and single crocheted the two pieces together and tucked in all the ends.

My issues with making it were:
1. Proper shaping. I ripped out a lot of stitches
2. Folds in the hat. At one point it looked like it had ears. To remedy that, I used less stitches in areas that were looser (to tighten them up and make them fold), and added more stitches in areas that were more folded, to maintain shape/allow the other areas to pull in.
3. At one point I ironed down the hat when it was still a basically flat object. I would do it in wool/something that can be blocked, because this hat has a lot of silly mistakes in it, but they are barely noticeable, because it can stretch to make them less apparent.

Otherwise it was very easy. I did it over three nights, and I've only taught myself how to crochet over two separate nights before that. If you end up making it and need help with understanding the instructions/whatever, drop me a line. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Washer Necklace
Can't Fool Mother Nature
Meatless Monday: Mexican Bean Salad

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...