A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November Crafting Tips & Tricks: Check out Kittykill's latest DIY video, How to Make Glowing Wax Globes!
Total Members: 314,625
Currently Running With Scissors:
224 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Beginner Applique Quilt-Block-of-the-Month  (Read 14562 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

betzi

A Really Useful Engine

View Profile WWW
« on: June 14, 2006 07:31:06 AM »

I have just started a quilt--i only have the fabric, haven't even put the thing together yet...just wondering if anyone wants to join me?  i've never done a quilt, let alone applique, but it looks pretty do-able.  i think the pattern is very forgiving, so it should be great for noobs.  and the instructions are very clear and specific.  of course, we'll be starting in the middle of the year, but thats ok, right?  oh, and the name of the quilt is "strolling the block".

each square is a house that has a theme for that month.  easiest example is stars and stripes for July.

here is the pic of the June block:

and here is a link to June's template and instructions.  Don't peek at the other months, unless you don't mind "ruining" the surprise!:

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_quilting_monthly_blocks/article/0,1789,HGTV_3303_1397446,00.html

and you will need the house template from January, so you might want to use a plastic template piece (ask em at the fabric store where to get one.  they are only $2, and probably worth it since it will be used a lot):
http://images.scrippsweb.com/HGTV/2002/09/24/Jan_HouseTemplates.pdf

i can post a pic of the final quilt, in case you are curious or need some motivation, but i thought it would be fun to keep it a surprise.

what do you say?  any body up for this?  you know you want to!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shooting star
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006 08:29:47 AM »

yeah, this could be fun.

I'm just away to start on my first quilt though so I may not be in for the first month or so, but I can play catch up at some point.

I'll keep an eye on this thread though
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swap Shop

wists

My crafting blog

I'm looking for cable afghan (tunisian) crochet hooks. Personal swap anyone?
charliebrown

Babies are for lickin'

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006 12:20:50 PM »

I'm up for it. I have been wanting to do a wool applique quilt, so I think that's what I will use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

betzi

A Really Useful Engine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006 10:57:25 AM »

using wool...neat! i wish i could, but everything around here needs to be completely machine washable (i have 2 little ones). 

soooo it turns out i printed out the wrong list for fabric requirements, so i have to go back and get this month's colors.  shucks, and i felt like i was ahead already!  at least i have january's fabric picked out...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

charliebrown

Babies are for lickin'

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006 09:41:12 AM »

I have been on vacation, but last night I did the background and got all of my pieces cut out. I will post pictures when it is done, hopefully before the end of the month.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

betzi

A Really Useful Engine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006 04:37:04 PM »

yay!  i can't wait to see it!  i have my backround sewn too.  i hope to get the rest on tonight, but no promises.  depends on what time baby hits the sack.  i'm actually taking the squares for june and july with me to germany, so i will do the actual blanket stitch then, while i have a bunch of time on my hands (and two free baby sitters!  woohoo inlaws!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

charliebrown

Babies are for lickin'

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006 10:18:20 AM »

Germany - wow how fun. It will be nice to have the built in babysitters for awhile. My son is now a college man (which is why I can finally do things like use wool because I don't have little hands to worry about anymore), but I remember the days when it was nice to have someone else take over for awhile. My square is turning out a little wonky because I didn't use the fusible stuff, just went straight to the blanket stitching, but I think it gives it more of a folky feel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

betzi

A Really Useful Engine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006 07:56:35 PM »

I'm considering just going straight to blanket stitch as well.  i'm thinking maybe i could just baste on the appliques first?  it would probably make things easier in the long run.  i might try it both ways, starting with the fusible stuff first.  i'll letcha know.

and yeah, free "babysitters" ROCK!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

charliebrown

Babies are for lickin'

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006 09:11:51 AM »

I am not going to get my square posted by tonight. It looks like it's just the two of us, so I am assuming a couple of day's late won't be a big deal. I will definitely have it up by Monday. Let me know if I am wrong. Will you be posting while you are in Germany?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shooting star
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006 09:29:25 AM »

Providing I get this baby quilt sewn up and quilted in the next week, then hopfully I will be in for this craft along.  Just need to buy the supplies and do some reading about aplique as I'm not 100% sure about how to go about it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swap Shop

wists

My crafting blog

I'm looking for cable afghan (tunisian) crochet hooks. Personal swap anyone?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Clipboard Photo Display
Party with a Pumpkin Challenge Winner: Floral Pumpkin Centerpiece
November 15, 2017 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...