A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and encouraged! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 314,031
Currently Running With Scissors:
209 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with flutter sleeves..  (Read 987 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

QueenbyQuinn
« on: June 13, 2006 05:25:41 PM »

I am designing a dress and I would like it to have flutter sleeves kind of like this:

and

However, I am kind of lost on how to cut the shape and how the lengths should be and everything (for the armhole etc).  Can anyone help?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

------Quinn
QueenByQuinn.com-Enter into a kingdom of regal handmade clothes designed by Quinn! Creative tops, skirts, and dresses!
Caterina
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006 08:04:45 PM »

I like the look of these sleeves, I would do them as a circular pattern. They're similar to a flounce on the hem of a skirt. It should look like donut, cut to the center circle and as you open and pin to the armhole it will give you the desired look. Hope that I was able to help, let me know if you need more details. I would love to see the finished garment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jelly.
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006 08:10:01 PM »

Or if you want to do them another way, you would do the oppisite thing to a puffed sleeve.

Get your original sleeve pattern (looks like you want a cap-length sleeve from those pics) and slash in about 3 places from the hem end, to-but-not-through the other side. Then spread each slash the same amount apart, put some paper underneath and the original bit down, and there you go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

QueenbyQuinn
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006 08:36:38 PM »

Thaanks.
I like the look of these sleeves, I would do them as a circular pattern. They're similar to a flounce on the hem of a skirt. It should look like donut, cut to the center circle and as you open and pin to the armhole it will give you the desired look. Hope that I was able to help, let me know if you need more details. I would love to see the finished garment.

I was thinking this too.  One question, how do I measure the circle in the middle for the armhole?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

------Quinn
QueenByQuinn.com-Enter into a kingdom of regal handmade clothes designed by Quinn! Creative tops, skirts, and dresses!
Caterina
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006 09:44:30 PM »

You need to measure the armhole you are stitching the sleeve too, which would roughly be the cap of the sleeve if you take it from a sleeve pattern.
BTW The cut you make to the center circle will give you straight edges these are stitched to the armhole also, so this will need to be included.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
squirrellypoo

Sew sew sew scandalous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006 07:19:50 AM »

I was thinking this too.  One question, how do I measure the circle in the middle for the armhole?
No, you want to put it slightly off-center so the outside length matches the inside, under-arm length when your arm is in it.

I've done these before and I LOVE them!

Here's the "pattern" piece.

here's the finished sleeve.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fehr Trade - custom clothing
QueenbyQuinn
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006 02:25:39 PM »

Thanks so much!  I unfortunately don't have enough fabric to do them on this dress but I definitely plan to sometimes. 

I guess I am just confused how to draw the circle and what size, like the diameter  ??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

------Quinn
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
May 23, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Candy Wrapper Bracelet
Earth-Friendly Gift Wraps

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...