A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,885
Currently Running With Scissors:
437 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides

Home Sweet Home Tutorials

Browse free product instructions and tutorials from the Craftster community. For more crafting fun visit the Home Sweet Home Forum.

November 21, 2016 11:56:04 AM by craftADDchick
Views: 4243 | Comments: 17
I keep a collection of "choice reading books" in my classroom for students to borrow. Right now, my bookshelves are a bit sparse, so I needed some more bookends. I already had made 2 (a T-rex and a 2-headed mythical beast), but after I got two more book cases, a few more were required!

Supplies Used:
Dinosaur toys (combination of thrift store finds and dollar store purchases)
Bricks or paving stones
Strong adhesive (E-6000 works great)
Spray paint
Fun foam
Hot glue

First, I glued the dinosaurs to the pavers:

Then, I sprayed painted them (I put them in empty paper boxes and then sprayed them in the courtyard outside of my classroom):

All sprayed! I missed a few spots, mostly on the triceratops, but I can live with it Smiley

Then, so I didn't scratch the book shelves, I cut some fun foam and hot glued it onto the bottom of each paver.

Finally, I put them in place on the shelves! Some of them were a bit tall but, fortunately, I had a few shelves that would fit them.

Now, I'll see how long it takes the kids to notice that I put them on the shelves!

October 09, 2016 07:26:19 AM by teaandcraft
Views: 6142 | Comments: 11

My experiments in growing succulents from cuttings and leaves have reached the stage where I have a *lot* of new plants, and no where near enough pots. To remedy this, I headed off to the discount store (because I am nothing if not cheap) but they only had plain plastic pots in their gardening section, which didn't rouse much excitement. However, as I was heading back out via the homewares section, I spotted an amazing unicorn money box. You know what they say, "when life gives you moneyboxes, make planters!" ~___^

I started off with the unicorn moneybox by using a permanent marker to measure out a rectangle shape. I made mine 5.5cm x 3 cm, but the size is really dependent on the shape of your object and the size you want the plant hole to be.  I attached the ceramic cutting wheel to my Dremel (#EZ545, with the EZ Lock Mandrel, for those playing along at home) and started cutting along the marked lines. It cut through the ceramic like butter! Only with, like, a hecka ton of dust. I was wearing safety glasses, ear muffs, and a dust mask during this project which kinda seemed like overkill when I began but, hey, at least I didn't get any ceramic dust in my lungs.

To tidy it up a bit, I went around the edges with a long rounded pink grinding stone attachment (no idea what number is this, sorry!) which really helped make everything look neater and also feel less sharp. Since the moneybox came with a hole in the bottom, I decided just to take out the rubber plug and use that for drainage.

I placed a large flat rock over the hole in the base of the unicorn, and then added a layer of small pebbles. Then all that was left to do was add some cacti and succulent soil, and the plants!

September 04, 2017 02:48:05 AM by edelC
Views: 5560 | Comments: 18
There are ton of great cardboard furniture tutes online, they are very precise and exact. I am more of a suck it and see type of crafter. I made a kind of hybrid cardboard/papier mache shelving unit to take some of the amazing shrines that I have received from craftster swaps in the past.

  • corrugated cardboard
  • masking tape
  • wallpaper paste/pva glue
  • newspaper
  • gesso-optional

Plan the dimensions of your shelving unit. I set out the things I wanted on the shelves and drew lines around them.

this back sheet remains uncut, you need the fronts of the shelves, I created a 'frame' for each opening of the shelves

Then decide the depth of the unit and cut cardboard strips to 'separate' the front from the back. You can use tape or hot glue to make the overall structure.
Each shelf is like a little box, so you need strips for the sides and the bottom of each shelf. This takes time!

Then the whole structure is covered with strips of newspaper dipped in glue, you can use wall paper paste or thinned PVA. This step makes the whole thing very wet and it will take a few days to dry.

I then painted a couple of coats of gesso on to to give a surface for painting, this is not necessary, you could build up a couple of layers of newsprint and use plain white copy paper for the top layer. but the gesso gives a nice textured surface.

Taking advantage of the surface roughness, I colour washed different shelves different colours.

Craft Tutorials in Home Sweet Home

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map

Copyright ©2003-2017, Craftster.org, © 2009-2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands