A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Craftster Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 315,581
Currently Running With Scissors:
182 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: little books  (Read 24797 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit  
Anu
« on: November 29, 2003 05:33:27 AM »

I've been having lots of fun making mini books from the instructions on this site.  Its 5-stitch bookbinding and its easy and fast.

http://www.zumgaligali.com/projects/bookbinding/book_5st_1.html

I like to use food boxes for the covers like cookie and cereal boxes.  I added eyelets to the last one for extra cuteness :-)

cheers,

Anu
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Surlygyrly
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2003 03:14:55 PM »

Your books are so cute.  great job, congratulations
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NynaeveAS

I'm pretty enough for both of us.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2003 06:56:54 PM »

Fabulous! When I saw this, I had to try it.  I loved your idea of using a cereal box and made mine with the colorful cardboard carrier that a 6-pack of beer comes in.  That is what I had handy.  Turned out great.  I also used a little tiny hole punch for all those holes instead on the needle method.  Did you dental floss for the binding?  I can't tell from the photo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Anu
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2003 04:53:23 AM »

I used upholstery thread for the binding but yesterday I picked up some dental floss at the dollar store so I can try that and it'll have a minty scent :-)

I used the 1/16th hole punch to make the holes.  Way easier than just pushing a needle through.

Glad you enjoyed! :-)

Anu
THIS ROCKS   Logged
averyclevername
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2003 06:20:54 AM »

Nice books. I know this might not be DIY-punk enough for craftsters, but I'd recommend using actual bookbinder's stringat something like $4 for 1000 yards, it's probably cheaper than floss. Also, if mini books are sewed in signatures, they tend to yawn open less. Here's one I recently made:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?S482357B6

Oh yeah, and also you can pick up a bookbindery's awl for two or three bucks for punching tiny holes. Okay, I'll stop being a know-it-all and go away now.

Cheers,

Joseph
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CactusPony Books:
Practical Sophistication & Whimsical Wonder
www.cactuspony.com
smash
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2003 08:38:55 AM »

Joseph, where does one get bookbinder's string and an awl?

I picked up fishing line yesterday to bind my books thinking it would be more durable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Anu
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2003 05:44:30 AM »

Re: Bookbinding supplies - Check out

www.volcanobookarts.com

www.turtlearts.com/bindingsupplies.html

Although part of the charm is to just make them out of materials on hand...lots of stuff works just fine: twine, embroidery thread, floss, upholstery thread.  And unless you want to make a zillion of them, one pack of thread or floss will last a long time and is cheap and easy to find.

cheers,

Anu
« Last Edit: December 05, 2003 06:15:54 AM by Anu » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Anu
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2003 06:11:48 AM »

baseball cards make cute covers...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Anu
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2003 05:37:28 AM »

Hey I like that birth control pill case idea.  I'm going to have to see what I can do....thx :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artzyfartzy
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2003 07:17:43 PM »

Nice books. I know this might not be DIY-punk enough for craftsters, but I'd recommend using actual bookbinder's stringat something like $4 for 1000 yards, it's probably cheaper than floss. Also, if mini books are sewed in signatures, they tend to yawn open less. Here's one I recently made:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?S482357B6

Oh yeah, and also you can pick up a bookbindery's awl for two or three bucks for punching tiny holes. Okay, I'll stop being a know-it-all and go away now.

Cheers,

Joseph

YOu do know it all ! your books are the BEST! plug plug.. i've seen them hands on! so i know  Wink

« Last Edit: December 14, 2003 05:11:47 AM by artzyfartzy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Collapsible Tier Tray
Well, Hello (Art)Dolly!
Meatless Monday: Green Tomato Pie

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...