A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Total Members: 315,451
Currently Running With Scissors:
167 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Homemade Fortune Cookies (No Eggs!)  (Read 9522 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit
1+

Sita108
« on: February 14, 2012 08:03:00 AM »

For our Chinese New Year dinner, I decided to attempt fortune cookies... they were so good!  They were actually a little bit chewy because I made them too thick... but I really liked how they turned out.  We also went ahead and put little fun questions and dares in the cookies, instead of fortunes, because we thought it would be more exciting... and it was!

Recipe:

- Print and cut out fortunes on paper BEFORE you start to make the cookies.
- Ingredients:

* 2 tablespoons cornstarch in 6 tablespoons water (to replace 2 large egg whites)
    * 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 
    * 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    * 8 tablespoons flour
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
    * 1/4 teaspoon salt
    * 8 tablespoons granulated sugar
    * 3 teaspoons water

- Whisk together the egg replacer, vanilla extract and vegetable oil until it is frothy.  In a seperate bowl mix the flour, extra cornstarch, salt and sugar.  Stir the water into the flour mixture.  Combine both mixtures until a smooth batter is formed (it should be somewhat thick, but still pour easily).  Place a tablespoons of batter onto a greased cookie sheet (3 inches apart).  To spread out the cookies, tilt the baking sheet  back, forward and side to side until the batter is in 4 inch circles.  Bake at 300 degrees F for 10-15 minutes, until the outer 1/2 inch of cookie is golden brown (if they are done, they should easily be removed from the baking sheet with a spatula).  Here's the tricky part!  Very quickly remov the cookie with a spatula, flip it over in your hand, place the fotune in the middle, gently fold the cookie in half and fold it in half again by placing it inside a muffin tin where it will stay until it's cooled down enough to hold its shape.

You have to work very fast so that the cookies don't cool down while still on the baking sheet!  I recomend looking up other sites that have tips for making fortune cookies, so that you have a game plan before you start baking!  I like the tips on this website: http://chinesefood.about.com/od/desserts/tp/fortunecookies.htm... even if I didn't follow the part about wearing cotton gloves.  (They weren't kidding though when they said that the cookies would be hot!) 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissingWillow
Sewing in General Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012 11:33:40 AM »

How fun!  I love the thought of inserting your own fortunes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sita108
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012 08:26:04 AM »

Thanks!  I HATE getting a fortune that doesn't make any sense, so I figured I would just have to do my own if I wanted something good!   =P   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Intoxication Station
Tute Tuesday: Little Bunny Rabbit Toy
Hanging Around

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...