A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 323,619
Currently Running With Scissors:
264 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials Crafting Calendar City Guides
Pages: [1]
 1 
on: July 04, 2006 10:40:50 AM 
Started by xamonster, Message by xamonster
Relevance: 35.8%
I finished my costume and wore it to an evening show of POTC 2. It was my roommate's birthday, and my goal was to embarass her as much as possible. She wasn't, though.


This is my face.


The pirate medallion, front side.


The pirate medallion, back side.


A few assorted bobs and scarves for extra pirate fun.

In progress ...


The first 12, displayed on a Dasani flat.


Detail of one strand.

I ended up making about 30 dreads. They're made of 1 strand of Red Heart, random brown fun fur, and a strand of gold (and some brown) embroidery floss. It's the twisted cord method: take a strand (or many strands) of yarn about 4 times longer than you want the finished product to be, fold it (or them) in half over a finger or a knitting needle (or put it on the hook of a drop spindle), twist in one direction until it starts to double back on itself, then fold it in half and let it unwind a bit. The result should be a loose-ish cord. I slipped the loose ends of the cord through the loop that was on the needle/finger/spindle. I didn't need to knot them.

I threaded some beads on, to get the beaded dread effect. You can see that in this photo on the right, tucked behind my ear for some reason. It took a little trial and error to get it in the right place, but it wasn't difficult at all.

They're all safety-pinned to a nylon stocking on my head. (I bought a cheapo pack of three pairs of thigh-highs for $1 at Dollar General. I found the bandanna there, as well; it was also $1.)

The pirate medallion is made of polymer clay (Fimo), which I made at work on Friday before the show. I cut the round shape with the lid of my Burt's Bees lemon cuticle cream. It worked perfectly. The detail was done with a mechanical pencil and a paper clip; the latter worked much better. When I got home, I baked it at 200° for about 15 minutes, then painted it with acrylic paints after it cooled. I didn't have any gold, so I painted it an orangey yellow and did light layers of silver paint over that. After those dried, I did a quick layer of dark brown paint with a very soft brush, so that the paint would get into the crevices. I wiped it off the surface with moistened toilet paper, and it stayed in the crevices.

A few other photos are located under my Flickr tag yarrrn. I had lots of fun! I'm going to improve the costume for POTC 3 next summer ...
 
Pages: [1]


FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics



Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It



Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...






Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

Help | About | Press | Advertise | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map | Do not sell my personal information

Copyright ©2003-2017, Craftster.org, © 2009-2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands