A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News from Internet Brands:
Closing the Craftster Community on December 19, 2019.
Read the details here.
Total Members: 318,840
Currently Running With Scissors:
251 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides
  Show Topics
Pages: [1]
1  KNITTING / Knitting: Completed Projects / Molly WeasleySweater on: November 24, 2019 06:27:00 PM
tl:dr- I've made the leap from Christmas ornament sweaters to adult human sized ones and felt brave enough to make my first post here in the "completed projects" section because this is one of two of the projects of which I am most proud.  

For the recent Madam Malkin's HP Wearables for all Occassions Swap I was lucky to be partnered with MistressJennie. I had been leaning toward a nice slippers pattern, but then in a conversation MJ let slip that, as far as HP dreams go, she had secretly always hoped that Molly might knit her a sweater one day as if for an American cousin.

So OF COURSE I had to change my plans and make her a sweater, right? I mean.... I've made several of those wee ornament ones so... it's a great idea!

Well, sure it wasn't a TERRIBLE idea, but it certainly wasn't a quick one. I decided to make the sweater from Alison Hansel's CHARMED KNITS book. First, I've never bothered to make a swatch before but this was for a special person and I had to do so here. Several swatches later I finally settled on a set of needles to go with the yarn I had ordered. My life isn't much conducive to leisurely knitting sessions so it took longer than I would have liked. I ran into trouble a few times. First, the sizing was a little tricky. As she is petite, I cut 6" off the length. Then I somehow managed to stitch the two body panels together... wrong... and had to painstakingly unpick the seams and do it again. Then the sleeves. I tried to follow the pattern for decreases but also adjust for a shorter length. And failed spectacularly. lol.

The sleeves were way, way too long. They were too long for me and I am at least 8" taller than my partner. After much fretting I admitted that I had to frog 11 1/2 inches from each sleeve. That was a blow, I won't lie. I don't even know how that got that long in the first place. I had never done a rip-back-but-not-all-the-way maneuver. That was nerve wracking. But I did it, and both the sleeves and I survived. (Edit to add: I should say they weren't a foot too long each, but rather I had to go back that far to have any kind of graceful decrease.)

After the sleeves and collar were completed I worked the initial on the front in duplicate stitch. I had chosen that method over working it into the panel so that if it fell in a wonky way when worn or if she hated the font she could pick it out and add in another letter 'J' more to her liking.

And finally, it was completed and then off on its way to her. You can imagine my relief when she received it, loved it and it fit!

Thanks for looking!
Link to Jennie's post and pics: https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=459451.msg5544493#msg5544493
Pages: [1]


FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search
Crafting Ideas
Crafting How-Tos
Crafting Ideas
Crafting Topics



Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Christmas Crack
Meal Prep Monday: Black Eyed Pea and Squash Soup
Craftster Featured Projects - Dedicated to the People Who Made It



Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...






Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map

Copyright ©2003-2017, Craftster.org, © 2009-2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands