A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
December Announcement: It's time for our Eighth Annual Gingerbread Contest!  Craft and enter a project for a chance to win a prize!
Total Members: 319,830
Currently Running With Scissors:
246 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop
  Show Images
Pages: [1]
1  Happy Case in Purses, Bags, Wallets: Completed Projects: General by Locksley931 on: January 15, 2012 04:47:53 PM
This is a case for my Acer tablet that I recently finished as part of the 50 projects in 2012 craft-a-long

I cut up an old binder to form the shell.  I only used one of the short pieces in the end.

Next, I cut out the fabric and folded wrong sides together.  Then, I sewed pockets into it.  For the two flaps at the bottom, I sewed one of the plastic pieces into the pocket.  When I finished it, the non plastic-holding part was folded in so that the bottom is double layered with the plastic on the outside. 

I added all the plastic pieces and machine or hand stitched them in place based on location and my motivation to move to the sewing machine/fear that the plastic would break my needle.  The order that I put it together was a bit off and involved some clever moments of blindly sticking the needle through from the inside until I found the right spot. 

The finished case was initially too loose for my liking, and I wasn't too fond of how the flap was going to end up (I should have added it before putting the thing together).  I found a WIP/random piece of knitting I had and glued that to the inside, sewed it to the back edge and added some buttons I'd covered in the fabric.  The buttons, and the hooks came from an old pair of pants.  The mouth is a simple icord using the same yarn as the lining. 

Aside from the construction order, another thing I would have done differently was to attach the front fabric to the plastic - the piece with the fasteners.  It can be tricky to unhook with the fabric moving.  Hey, at least that means it won't be popping open at random, right? Wink
Report to moderator  THIS ROCKS  
2  I knit a hat that wasn't better suited to be a bag! in Knitting: Completed Projects by Locksley931 on: January 15, 2012 01:14:04 PM
This is a simple 2x2 ribbed hat, knit in the round.  I fail completely at judging how much...or how little ribbing will stretch.  This, combined with my impatience for figuring out gauge, makes a lot of my hats gravitate toward that hazy area of "are you headware or a carrying apparatus?  My method is to hold it against the side of my head, or try to put it on while on the needles, until I think it's long enough. Then, I knit a few more rounds because I get nervous and second guess myself.

Action shot!

Not so much action shot

The yarn is lion brand wool-ease on size 8 needles.  The stitches are a bit stretched near the top because I was too lazy to find the dpns for the end and the cable on my circulars was a bit too long at that point.
Report to moderator  THIS ROCKS  
3  Updated whiteboard in Completed Projects by Locksley931 on: January 15, 2012 12:46:00 PM
I had small, desktop whiteboard that was begging to be fixed up a bit.

I knit a tiny scarf for the border.  It's just a simple double strand stockinette stitch.  The eyes were magnets that came with it.  I simply added pompoms and a pony bead with a seed bead inside.  The beak is formed out of some leftover plastic and wrapped in yarn. 

Close up on beak:

Report to moderator  THIS ROCKS  
4  Re: 50 Projects 2012--Join here and post your lists ! in Craftalongs by Locksley931 on: January 15, 2012 12:18:57 PM
I finished up a few projects over the past few days.

A case for my tablet:

The inner support, aka an old binder:


The fabric was from my stash.  The closure and a eyes (covered in same fabric as body) are from an old pair of pants.  The top flap is an extension of the inner lining.  I felt it was too loose at first so I found a piece I'd knit years ago and was able to glue it to the inside to give a more snug fit and cushion the screen a bit more. The mouth is an i-cord - first finished one Smiley
Report to moderator  THIS ROCKS  
Pages: [1]

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Crochet Knotted Head Wrap
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Pipe Cleaner Mouse
December 13, 2017 Featured Projects

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

Copyright ©2003-2017, Craftster.org an Internet Brands company.