A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 313,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
269 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop
  Show Images
Pages: [1]
1  Cork covered wedges in Shoes: Completed Projects by SewCraftyDonna on: September 12, 2012 03:12:43 PM
I found these brand new wedge sandals at the thrift store. They were comfy and the uppers were a nice, soft leather, but the covering on the wedges were a different colour and hadn't properly adhered.


I removed the wedge covering carefully so I could use it as a pattern to cut out the cork. I used Outdoor Modpodge to glue it to wedge form then a couple of coats to seal it. I've worn them a few times and are holding up just fine.


Report to moderator  THIS ROCKS  
2  First child's costume - Un Poulin in Clothing for Kids: Completed Projects by SewCraftyDonna on: September 06, 2012 10:58:15 AM
My little friend Nik is in a French immersion school. Last Spring he was cast as a poulin (young horse) in his class production of 'Francois et le loup' (St. Francis of Assisi And The Wolf.) I was asked to make his costume.

His mom bought McCall's M6106 and the fabric, a light fleece and upholstery fabric for the hooves. The mane, tail and eyelashes were fuzzy fake wool (I'm sure it has a proper name.)

I picked up a dinosaur mask at the dollar store to use as a base for the head. I should have left on the elastic strap so it didn't spread out so much and tried to build up the centre of the head, especially around the nostrils (which are too dark) so it was more horse-shaped before I glued on the fabric.

Notice the little knit bag he's wearing - he and his classmates each made one - it's that sort of school. Alas, apparently his Greek grandmother is quite - boys are not supposed to knit! But I see a Craftster in the making!

Le petit poulin

Nik & Me

Thanks for looking!
Report to moderator  THIS ROCKS  
3  Restyled t-shirt + too tight sundress = new sundress in Clothing: Completed Projects: Reconstructed by SewCraftyDonna on: September 04, 2012 10:02:06 PM
I loved my elephant print sundress, but it was getting too tight and the straps were fraying. The tank top had been restyled from a stretched-out t-shirt (in the days before I knew it was called restyling) and could be reincarnated once more to make my sundress wearable again!

Close up of fabric:



The neckline seemed up too low, so an added a strip of fabric made it a little less revealing. And the top row of elephants was a bit wonky, but a 'belt' straightened it out.

And the 'action' shot:

By action I mean, balancing precariously on a stool in my mother's teeny-tiny bathroom to take the photo.

Report to moderator  THIS ROCKS  
4  Duct Tape covered shoes in Shoes: Completed Projects by SewCraftyDonna on: September 04, 2012 08:39:11 PM
These thrift-store shoes were very comfy, but I wasn't too keen on white, so I covered them with leopard-print duct tape. Alas, they squeak when I walk. And they are too shiny. Perhaps paint them would be better.


Report to moderator  THIS ROCKS  
5  Penguin Slippers in Clothing for Kids: Completed Projects by SewCraftyDonna on: September 04, 2012 08:04:12 PM
I wanted to give my friend, Nik, who is crazy about penguins, a pair of penguin slippers. After quick online check, I decided I could easily transform a pair of store-bought slippers into something suitable. I hope I can get an action shot before he outgrows them!

Report to moderator  THIS ROCKS  
6  Sad fabric sandals get a facelife! A bit photo chubby. And first project post! in Shoes: Completed Projects by SewCraftyDonna on: October 13, 2011 01:14:44 PM
I thrifted these fabric sandals thinking I would just paint them. But I decided I NEEDED denim sandals.

I decided to use large iron-on denim patches so I could get a clean edge without any fraying. It was a bit of a pain to iron on the patches but using my small travel iron and a potholder made it much easier. Using the heat also stretched them a bit, which my extra wide feet appreciated.

Sad sack sandals before:

Removing last bit of pleather trim:

And after!

Close up of bow detail:

Photographer's Assistant #1, asleep on the job!

Photographer's Assistant #2 doesn't like the flash.
Report to moderator  THIS ROCKS  
Pages: [1]

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
February 21, 2018 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Ribbon Scarf
The Birds and The Bees

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

Copyright ©2003-2018, Craftster.org an Internet Brands company.