A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
December Announcement: It's time for our Eighth Annual Gingerbread Contest!  Craft and enter a project for a chance to win a prize!
Total Members: 314,831
Currently Running With Scissors:
136 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop
  Show Topics
Pages: 1 [2]
11  NEEDLEWORK / Needlework: Completed Projects / Delete on: June 18, 2012 05:58:52 PM
12  NEEDLEWORK / Needlework: Completed Projects / Super mario bros 2 inspired Ereader case on: December 11, 2011 11:36:48 AM
First this is my first project post..... so very long over due... ... YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Oh and I don't own mario bros etc etc... i just sat at the computer for far too long pixelating the screenshots into my cross stitching program... so... i'm just a nerd that loves video games♥

Anywho... I've been wanting to make a cover for my Kobo ereader since i got it as a very early birthday present [so since middle of june lol].
I've been sketching out ideas and concepts for it.. it was going to be like a very big plastic canvas trinket box. Than i settled on simple case with a two different sized top/closing flaps with velcro to secure everything.

I took screenshots of the game while playing an emulatated version on my computer and added in the vine/ladder/whatchamawhosit .. I zoomed in my screenshots and put it sidebyside with my cross stitching program and spent many hours pixelating everything [and guesstimating the sizes and such and fixing them than more hours trying to get the right colour]. I moved things around, fudged/faked the design and size of the platform/hill so everything not 100% accurate but i did my best not to stray too far from the original [colour of the yarn included!].

Now the princess' original colours form back than aren't exactly the same [you'd think with maaaaaany many garbage bags bursting with yarn i'd be able to match them better... But it switched out her hair and dress outline colour for a darker shade almost burgandy as opposed to a red/orange..looked nicer in my opinion.

I also had the idea to have the scene continue around and down the sides and bottom of the case..using black yarn while sewing them together to seperate the bottom left side from the bottom of the case [which continues down under the princess][sorry got a little wordy].

So... This was done using green coloured 7 count plastic canvas' [won't use it again as i had to double up my 4ply yarn in spots to hide the ugly plastic colour and it was actually breaking in places after i sewed it altogether and had to use clear glue, dont have a glue gun, to fix it than backstitch the booboos to hide the glue], using normal 4ply yarn ..the green colours were actually thinner and thus had to split pieces of yarn so they were a little thicker. a small piece of velcro cut into 2 pieces [wont use that particular strip again as it had sticky glue in the back....ya try pushing a sewing needle thru all that yarn, glue, velcro and sometimes the plastic canvas..forgetting to use a thimble..ya.... my finger is still healing from the needle pushing back into it many many times.. before i gave up and wrapped a bunch of thick bandaids around my finger.. and the needle got bent and was covered in glue.. so it was garbaged afterward, lol]. Since the case was so much larger than my ereader i made a little pouch [2 felt pieces and 2 scrap fabrics] and sew'd a strap and snap clasp closure for it.

The stitches were obviously cross stitch, half cross stitch for the smaller/lower flap because i was lazy [and it was a last minute idea and thought] and in 1 place, backstitched for support of a booboo.

It was many many many hours of pixelating [many tylenols for a sore back from hunching over and staring at the screen too lol]. I started the needlepoint in the middle of October, got sick with a bad throat infection and had to stop for 2 weeks. I would only needlepoint for 1-4 hours a day. Finished around the last week or so of November.

I'm going to have my dad [a woodcarver] make a very thin wooden slipcase to slide inside to give the case more structure and stability since the 7count plastic canvas' are so damned flexible. I also sewed a small felt and fabric pouch to put my ereader into than into the case since i forgot to line the plastic canvas' prior to sewing it up completely. But for now, it's fine and i'm going to leave it be until the new year since i have to start and finish other projects for christmas... .. lol yaaaaaa... I'm nuts.

Hopefully I did a decent job and you guys like it. I certain love it. As does my 6 year old nephew whom loves the super mario series.

Pages: 1 [2]

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2017: Pipe Cleaner Mouse
December 13, 2017 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Holiday Lantern

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

Copyright ©2003-2017, Craftster.org an Internet Brands company.