A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 315,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
199 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop
  Show Images
Pages: 1 [2]
11  Captain America in Halloween Costumes by A_Bit_Crafty on: November 01, 2011 08:46:09 AM
Itty Bitty Captain America!  Made with a very modified Kwik Sew pattern 2711, which is actually a cat/dog/rabbit/pumpkin pattern.
Here is the front:

The star and the A are white fabric cut to shape and appliqued on, attached with fusible web and sewn with a zigzag around.  The wings on the side of the head are two pieces with interfacing in between, with the "feathers" sort of quilted on, following the old classic design from the comic books.  

The mask is a separate piece.

I couldn't find a striped fabric that I really liked for the belly, so I had to assemble it out of red and white fabric sewn into stripes.  They are also attached with fusible web and then sewn around the edge for extra strength.  

Here is a shot of the back.  I sewed a velcro loop onto the back to hold his shield, which is the only part of the costume that was store bought (and actually bought as a plaything, not for the costume).

I made his brother a Perry the Platypus costume, so they made an interesting pair trick-or-treating.
Report to moderator  THIS ROCKS  
12  Aprons on parade in Clothing: Completed Projects: General by A_Bit_Crafty on: August 12, 2011 06:06:50 AM
I have a thing about aprons.  Here are ones I've done over the past few months.

This is my favorite (and newest) one at the moment.  Body and pocket are quilting cotton, lining and ties are a light broadcloth.

This is one is a bit heavy for some reason, and the pockets came out a bit crooked, but still cute.  Quilting cotton body, ties, and pockets, muslin lining.

Another of my favorites.  My apple apron.  Quilting cotton body, muslin lining, broadcloth ties and pocket.

They look a little awkward lying flat without a dress form (which I will soon remedy), but they look nice on an actual person.
Report to moderator  THIS ROCKS  
13  Upcycled! Old, broken frame to decorative hair accessory holder in Crafty Housewares: Completed Projects: General by A_Bit_Crafty on: July 26, 2011 10:48:05 AM
I needed something to hold my hair ties and whatnot, and got a bit thrifty and creative.  I've seen holders of this kind around the internet and decided to try to make my own.

I apologize in advance that the pictures are a little crooked.  My favorite camera is out of commission at the moment.

Here is the finished product.  The background is some thrifted fabric that I've had lying around for months that I think the previous owner had turned into a curtain.

Here is the before: the old, sad, broken, thrifted frame (which is actually plastic, not wood like I first thought)

And hanging on the wall with some (but not all) of my hair thingamabobs.

I'm worried that it turned out too cutesy, with the white and blue fabric, but with my bathroom being very blue, I was afraid to go crazier.  I had made a prototype a few months ago with green paisley fabric, which really didn't work in the space because of the color.
Report to moderator  THIS ROCKS  
14  My first quilt! Now with more (and fixed) pics! in Quilting: Completed Projects by A_Bit_Crafty on: July 25, 2011 08:58:40 AM
A little about this quilt: It is my very first quilt, a queen size, and the large majority of it (with the exception of backing and batting) are from my scrap stash!  I assembled the blocks by machine, but hand quilted it.  There are 143 blocks of about 9".  It took about 5 months.

The finished result

And a few in process photos.  Here's one of the backing, which is a nice little daisy print

And it on the lovely quilting frame that dh made for me to make my hand quilting easier

And I had so much extra backing left over, I used it to make a panelled bag for the quilting frame.
Report to moderator  THIS ROCKS  
15  Mini pincushion with inch worm in CHALLENGE 48 ENTRIES by A_Bit_Crafty on: March 01, 2010 01:33:25 PM
This is both my first crafster contest and the first time I'm posting my own project.  Here it is, my mini mushroom pincushion with inch worm!  The mushroom head is made out of a bit of scrap fleece, and the spots are just some white scrap fabric that I sewed on.  I like how the white ravelled a little bit when I sewed.  The head is stuffed with just a tiny bit of polyester filling.  The stem is a cork that I carved down.  The little inch worm is made of home made play dough that I baked at a low temperature in the oven to dry it out before I painted it.

Here's a head on view.

And one showing the size.  It's actually a bit smaller than it looks because of the angle of the camera.

And finally, it actually having pins in it.

The idea came to me because I had previously made a mini pincushion with a bottle cap.  I found that tutorial here: http://www.craftstylish.com/item/945/how-to-make-pretty-pincushions
Report to moderator  THIS ROCKS  
Pages: 1 [2]

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Altered Journal Page
Magic and Luck
Meatless Monday: Vegetarian Pasta Sauce

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

Copyright ©2003-2018, Craftster.org an Internet Brands company.