My six year old decided that this year for Halloween he wanted to be Cthulhu.
I made his pants from green fleece. (I used another pair of pants he had to draft a rough pattern.)
The shirt was purchased.
The wings were both easy and challenging at the same time. I used this dragon wings tutorial
. For the wing shape, I just eyeballed her pattern, but made it slightly bigger. I didn't have any old wire hangers to use for the "boning" so I just used jewelry wire I had on hand. This ended up not being sturdy enough for the wings. So I then twisted to pieces together and sewed them on top of the wings, covering them up with a ribbon. This still didn't make it sturdy enough, so I sewed a small length of chain to the wings and safety pinned it to his shirt. This helped, but they still weren't as stiff as I would have liked.
The wings are worn by elastics that go around the arms. I didn't want the elastic to show so I cut slits into the back of his shirt so the elastic would be underneath.
And last but certainly not least, Cthulhu's head. I searched Ravelry until I found a pattern I liked the best. You can find it here
. Unfortunately, when I started crocheting it, I found my hat/mask at the eyes and eyebrows was not turning out like the pattern image at all, but more like other pattern images I had seen. To make sure I wasn't doing it completely wrong I went and looked at the project pages. Everyone else who had used the pattern also had masks that looked like mine, and not the pattern image as well. So I ripped back what I had done for the eyes and played around until I got it to look similar to the pattern image.
And this picture is because he wanted me to take one so you could see he was smiling.
He loved his costume! Too bad he got to hot and ended up not wearing the hat/mask for most of the evening.