A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October News: Kindness Craft Challenge   Vote for your favorite entry by Sunday, October 15!
Total Members: 314,468
Currently Running With Scissors:
342 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop
  Show Topics
Pages: [1]
1  CLOTHING / Clothing: Completed Projects: General / Jane Austen meets Juliet wedding dress. 4 pics on: February 04, 2010 06:33:24 AM
From Cate pattern on the Burda site. A lot of people had issues with the pattern pieces but I took too many flu pills one day and after that it was really easy to understand.

I did change the skirt pattern - used a 1/4 circle skirt, because the skirt in the pattern is VERY full and makes you look pregnant. I wasn't and didn't want to look like I was. Other minor change was that I beaded the bodice instead of sewing a tab of fabric over to hide the ruching. I also added buttons to the bodice as I don't trust my zip inserting skills. The zipper begins where they end, but is hidden in folds of skirt.

Happy accidents: The gathered skirt at the back. I got something wrong with the formula for the circle skirt, and the waist was much too big. So I pushed it all around the back, and quite like the effect. And the little rise of the front hem: the fabric wasn't quite enough for my height plus heels - bias cut uses so much! I considered cutting all the way around the bottom to even the hem, but decided I didn't want to lose the length at the back. Turns out it made it much easier to walk, dance, etc., and my pretty shoes weren't wasted.

Bought the fabric (raw silk) in September, hemmed the skirt the night before the wedding (28 November). Don't tell anyone but the lining was made from an old cotton bedsheet and didn't get hemmed, only pinked. Smiley

Thanks for looking!

Bodice detail

Full length

Back view

2  CLOTHING / Clothing: Completed Projects: General / First sewing project: Cinderella corset and skirt on: September 30, 2009 08:07:56 AM
Hi all,

I've been lurking since last year, and thought it might finally be time to post something.

My sewing experience prior to this was limited to making a t-shirt in high school home ec., but my mom sewed a lot for me before she passed away and I still have her antediluvian sewing machine. So when a friend announced a fancy dress party last year, I decided to go as Cinderella at midnight and thought I'd try to make an outfit myself. I was thinking pretty ballgown fabrics turning into an apron and rags.

Full length:

The skirt is three circle skirts with the points left on - two layers of cheap washable velvet and one of stretch lace, hemmed and joined to a waistband. I'm not very big on top, so I didn't include any kind of closure - it just goes over my head. I hitched the lace up in two places for a kind of 'tucked-in apron' effect.


The corset was much easier than I thought, but I did a LOT of research and looked at I don't know how many corset posts here on Craftster and elsewhere for inspiration and how-to. I ended up drafting a pattern from instructions I got off the net for free. I mocked it up and made a few adjustments before starting on the real thing, but for the most part it fitted pretty well. The biggest pain was sewing the lace insets - stretchy and temperamental - and setting all those grommets (it laces up front and back).

Corset back:

The corset is boned with sawblades. I remembered a dress my mom sewed which was boned with rigilene and buckled horribly at the waist - I wasn't going to take any chances.

Sorry I don't have a better picture of this, but I covered one of the pair of shoes with the silvery lace for a glass slipper effect.

And at the party with Minnie Mouse, Desdemona and Lady Macbeth. (Occupational hazard of being an English Lit major - fighting with friends for who gets to be the Shakespeare girl.) It was winter, so I bought a grey top to wear underneath (which happened to be a v-neck - didn't look great with the straight-across corset, so I sewed on some of the lace and cut a square neck).

Thanks for looking - critique and tips for next time welcome!
Pages: [1]

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
October 18, 2017 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Mix and Match Napkins
Tute Tuesday: Mini Top Hat

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!

Copyright ©2003-2017, Craftster.org an Internet Brands company.