Roxybadoxy & Giavirgo - Thank you both so much! Your words are so kind! I'm so happy to have found such a wonderful place as this to share my ideas & get new ones! (I can't wait til I get to do a swap!)
As far as the construction goes, some of the details are in my blog http://craftyginger.blogspot.com/
, but I'll go into more detail here. I didn't start with a box, but you could if you wanted to. I started with my fabric pieces - the top I cut 4" square (the finished size is 3", and I used a 1/2" seam allowance), the "lid" lip was 3" wide by 13" long, then folded in half; and the main body started as a 9 1/2" wide by 13" long, with the top 3" folded over. (I know it's hard to picture, I'll try and post a diagram soon! The body piece includes the bottom, so I didn't bother cutting 2 "tops" FYI.)
The boxy shape came from the woven paper tape I added to the inside. I think it's also called buckram, but it's basically just a stiff paper you can iron & sew. I cut the paper tape into two 3" squares, a 3" by 12" strip, and a 1" by 12" strip. The longer strips I put inside the folds (I pressed most of the fabric folds before I started hand sewing, I wanted the edges to be stiff & box-like. You don't need to iron the paper tape, just crease with fingers when you're all done!) I also cut out most the lower third portion of the body piece, leaving a 4" square attached to the folded over body (again, I know it's tough to picture, I'll make a diagram soon!) After that it was mostly hand sewing, the "lid" I stitched from the inside & then turned right side out; the body I stitched-in-the-ditch (meaning I sewed from the right side, trying to be discreet about the stitches showing). Having most of my edges ironed really helped! For both pieces I sewed all the way around the square first, and then did the corner seam (I hid these in the pics I posted, but I can take one of my wavy seams!) To finish, I just mashed the top & bottom paper tape pieces into place, I didn't sew a perfect square; and then stuffed with craft batting, closed the lid on top and tied my Tiffany bow on top. The bow did take a couple of tries, but I think the end product was well worth the effort!
I just hafta say it - Craftster Rocks!