First of all, I have to say that after many failed attempts at home dec projects, I finally have a winner. So, I'm proud of these babies - SUPER PROUD!
Now the story...
When my husband's grandfather died in 1999, my sister-in-law had just moved into her house. We were still in a tiny apartment, so any furniture that would be passed on would have obviously gone to her, because she had the room. She got a pair of beautiful Adirondack chairs that we're pretty sure Rob's grandfather made himself. They were the perfect addition to Melinda's (SIL) dining room.
Fast forward to last summer. Melinda is remodeling and doesn't have room for the chairs anymore. Since these were made by Rob and Melinda's grandfather, she wanted to keep them in the family, rather than give them or sell them to someone else. So we took them. I think Rob and I were both secretly hoping she would want to get rid of them eventually, so we were happy to take them.
The cushions were upholstered in a plaid that co-ordinated with the floral curtains in Melinda's dining room. Really cute in there, but it didn't go with our black walls and Picasso prints.
Here's one before:
Rob picked out the fabric - we got that on sale with a 40% coupon to JoAnn's. We bought the foam on sale on July 4th - 50% then an extra 10% off at the register. I bought the batting today for 40% off. I made the piping so that cost about 40 cents/yd.
Here's what I made:
I made a couple of pillows with the leftover black from the piping, and made piping from the leftover print:
And here's the pair of them - disregard the crap in between them!!
Thanks for looking and reading all of that!