This looked like such a great project, I couldn't wait to do my own. Finished it last Saturday and I think I've worn it three times already!
This hoodie consists of one Dead Pets concert t-shirt (friend's garage sale, $5), one acid green t-shirt (Value Village, $.80), one black t-shirt (drawer, $0), one green stripy sweater (Value Village, $3.50), one yard of woven trim (Joann, about $1.50) and one 24-inch zipper (Joann, $2.50).
When I saw the green sweater, I knew it would make great sleeves, but it had short-sleeves. Until you cut your own, it's easy to underestimate how much fabric sleeves take! Fortunately, the length of the sweater was enough that I could make one sleeve from the front and one from the back, using the bottom hem at my wrists.
I made a couple of changes from Mezzi's original awesome tutorial. We'd been talking earlier in the thread about how to keep zippers flat/straight on t-shirt knits, and I theorized that tacking a strip of interfacing down the inside front before cutting the tee in half would help, so I gave that a try. Worked like a dream -- I used a 2-inch-wide fusible interfacing down the centerline of the inside front, and the zipper went on easily.
The second change I did was that I decided to line the hood to hide the seams and also introduce another color and trim.
(You can also see that I followed Mezzi's lead and made the hood kinda huge.)
The black and green diamonds are a woven trim I found at Joann that just happened to be the right colors -- I HAD to find a way to work it in. So I cut two hood inners of green, two hood outers of black, and layered the trim along the outer edge before sewing it all together. To attach the assembled hood, I folded in the bottom raw edge of the hood, pressed, then sandwiched the raw neck edge of the hoodie between the folded edges and topstitched it all the way around.
The last change was in how I attached the pockets. The pockets definitely make all the difference! I made mine the way originally described in the tute, except that I left the edge open which goes toward the zipper, topstitching the pockets into place and layering that open edge with the zipper so that when it got attached, the pockets go into the zipper seam with no gap.
What a great way to make t-shirts more wearable. I have bunches that I like, but I never just wear a t-shirt alone. Thanks again for the great tutorial, Mezzi!