I had made a baby quilt about 20 years ago, but nothing of the like since.
Then I found out a friend of mine was having a baby and I went to Babies R Us to get some stuff off of her shower list and it was not a pleasant experience, so I decided to make something instead... that something was this baby quilt:
The nursery was a jungle theme, so I used leopard print fabric and muslin for the squares, and I found this peachy-pink giraffe print for the back. I thought the squares were missing something, so I cut a giraffe silhouette out and appliqued it to the front. I have never appliqued anything successfully, so I thought I would try a straight-stitch around the edges instead of a zig-zag stitch. It came out a little wonky, so was about to zig-zag over it, but the more I looked at it, I decided that I liked the wonky line and decided to add more:
I think it looks like I sketched around the outline with thread and I really like the look!
I mistakenly used a satin blanket binding around the edges that was too wide, and it didn't quite work out when I ironed it in half
, but I'm still quite proud of it!