I'd like to start by saying that I'm allergic to face paint. As in, it burns my face and turns it red for days. So as much as I adore halloween, coming up with costumes can sometimes be a bit of a challenge! Normally I cobble something together using what's in my wardrobe/scrap fabric bin, but this year I had a little more to spend...
I started this back in July (is that admirable commitment or just sad? I don't know), if you don't count the sketches from May. I traced a vintage dress to create the pattern for the bodice - I made about 5 toiles before I got it to fit right! - it's fully lined, and the outer is made from polyester glittered tulle layered over creased taffeta. The neckline, front seams and where it is hitched (bustled? gathered? What's the proper term for that anyway?) are embellished with a mix of glass and plastic beads, sewn in place by hand. At the bottom of each seam line is a felt flower, self-fabric leaves, a sequin or two and a glittered fake leaf. It closes with a zipper on the back (it was supposed to be invisible, but the invisible zipper foot on my machine just doesn't get CLOSE ENOUGH!! Grr).
The skirt is a basic elasticated circle skirt, with one layer of lining and one layer of iridescent chiffon. I left the hem raw - and square - and cut a vaguely leaf-shaped edge. This was then hitched (?!) and embellished with self-fabric leaves, sequins and fake leaves.
Next came the head piece; it's a twig I carefully carried home from the woods, glued & wired onto a headband, embellished with an artificial bird, fake leaves, dried lichen, felt flowers and sequins. I used paper-covered wire for the twirly vines. Then the shoes; these were an old pair of sandals I basically covered in more fake leaves, with a little lichen and a couple of sequins. And some more paper covered wire to wrap around my legs.
Then in case I wasn't cross-eyed enough from all that sparkly green stuff, I made a matching bag. Leaf-shaped, with hand sewn beading. And finally my little cuff things - floral felt trim, more wire to wrap around my arms, and bead & sequin embellishment. Again, applied by hand.
to view the flickr set or view them on facebook here
for a couple of bonus detail shots!))
This was a complete departure from the kind of things I normally make, but it was SO MUCH FUN. Plans for next year are already underway
Thank you for looking!