I just started my own flying Mario Rug, inspired (let me rephrase, pretty much stolen from) enemyairship's 7x7ft rug seen here: https://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=314101.0
I tried to get in touch with her to get her square count and such, but had no luck, so I'm pretty much counting pixels and flying by the seat of my pants. I'm really bad at keeping track of numbers, so I'm going to use this as my counting space, etc. And with general updates on my progress.
She used 6in granny squares, yielding a 7' rug. My boy and I don't have a room in the house that would be big enough to comfortable fit a Mario of that caliber, so I'm using an approx. 2.5-3in square. Hopefully, I'll have floor space somewhere to fit him.
Current square count: (as of 6/22/10)
Black:27 (not nearly enough, but i couldn't look at black yarn anymore
Last night, at the pool hall, my darling boyfriend made a wonderful suggestion so I don't lose interest in such a large project! (I'm add, what can I say, I have a hard time finishing large works...) He said to me (I'm paraphrasing) "why don't you do one section at a time, like make all the black for Mario's tail, and then the brown, red, blue and tan then put the tail together as you get what you need for a row done, so you have a quasi-finished product to keep you motivated!" What a good idea! No wonder I love him so! Alright, so here's the updated color count, and then I'm gonna be off to work on more squares.
Yellow: 4 (of 6, lol, I really don't like yellow)
Slowly but surely.
**ANOTHER EDIT 6/30/2010**
Ok, so I've scrapped the square count. I'm just making one row, and sewing it together. I sewed together the squares I had done into their rows and sewed the resulting rows together. Here's what I've got so far:
As always, thanks for looking. C&C welcome and encouraged.