My mom had the Quilting with the Muppets book for several years, and never got around to making anything, so she finally gave it to me. I've been drooling over it for a few years, and have been picking up fun fabrics for a while, but I just got serious about actually making something a few weeks ago. My mom was coming for a visit, and I wanted us to get all the character blocks done. We didn't get that far, but we did make a nice dent, AND, I had my mom here to show me things like steam n seam (OMG, love this stuff!) and show me what tension you want the machine on, and the best thread to buy for applique, etc.
I've never made a quilt, and I have done next to no applique! But, here goes. This is for my 2 year old, who LOVES Sesame Street. I loved it and the Muppet Show as a kid, so this is a great subject for both of us.
I'm very obsessive about starting projects... here is my mock up. Plan is to fit ds's twin bed, and hang down pretty far so it's easy to make up in the morning. I figured the blocks would be pretty labor intensive, so I put in a bunch of filler blocks of numbers and traditional quilt squares. One of the quilts in the book uses triangles for the border and I love that, so that's the inspiration of my borders. This mock up was just done in powerpoint, but I have EQ6 on order so I can figure out how to cut stuff for the blocks! I grabbed pics of characters off the internet for the purposes of this mockup, but used the supplied book pattern for several. I am making my own patterns for some though.
So far, I have big bird *almost* all done (just need to hand embroider his eyelids), and the Count, Cookie monster, and Zoe ready to sew... And, the numbers are all complete.
Big Bird progress.... he was a nightmare! My machine just kept puking thread. It was a combo of thick fabric, tension issues, pressure foot adjustment issues, and needle issues. I ended up with a leather needle, and stitching SUPER slowly. He took allll day yesterday. I <3 him though! I used several decorative stitches... feather stitch, scallop, blanket, cross stitch, leaves, hearts, waves, and possibly others. I need to hand embroider pink and aqua on his eyelids yet.
Design under a clear teflon sheet. I stuck the steam & seamed pieces to the teflon, and ironed it there, then carefully peeled it off and put it on the block, and ironed it there. The teflon sheet is awesome! (thanks mom!)
Cookie Monster Block - I can't believe I lucked out and found the perfect cookie fabric! It was mom's idea to have him chucking in multiple cookies - lol. I'm also going to have some falling down on the black sashing under his block. Sticking the fur on the block was a PITA! But, he is soooo cute! He's holding a glass of milk with a stripey straw on the left.
The Count is my favorite! He has purple cotton velveteen skin and jacket, and a green satin cape, black fur goatee, and an old hoop earring for a monacle. Oh! And numbers in his background.
Zoe. She's a little blah, wish I found some fake fur for her pigtails. Maybe she'll look better once she's on her block, and has stitching, instead of just my marker.
The numbers aren't that exciting, so here are thumbnails to my photo account... All are cotton and cotton. Stitches vary; satin, blanket, feather, cross stitch. Tried to find fabrics that were bright, and either had numbers/letters, or were graphic (stripes, dots, other shapes).