A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
476 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Problem with your machine? CHECK HERE FIRST! How to properly insert your bobbin.  (Read 60178 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

toomuchrock

Just another day in suburbia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2006 04:09:52 PM »

i definatly agree with the rethread thing.

When i was first learning to sew it did that constantly, but it was always because i wasn't threading the machine right.

if you have the manual, it can be very helpful
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I craft, Therefor I Rock!

toomuchrock.etsy.com

MOOLA! It amazes me
Never heard of Moola? PM me or click the link for More details.
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2006 05:27:22 PM »

Heh, a tune up. . never taken a machine in Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames.com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
kaykayelle
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2006 05:31:51 PM »

My machine was doing the same thing. I was getting so mad, too, because that's the "right" side of the fabric! I just figured out how to fix it. I got out the book (gasp!) and saw that I wasn't threading the bobbin into the metal case thing exactly 100% right (It had to be pulled differently through the hole thing and to the right instead of to the left). So that would be my suggestion.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
craft-matic
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2006 06:23:23 PM »

You may just need to try a few different tensions and see what works.  There's a tutorial for acheiving the correct tension at this website:

http://www.sewalot.com/tension_adjustments.htm

Also, I had this happen once when I used a different thread for the bobbin (I was using a pre-threaded one) than the master thread; never, ever, ever a good idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Lol Stein
Cat lady

Atomic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2006 04:46:31 PM »

ok, so i tried setting up my new sewing maching today (a singer 8280). i've never used a sewing machine before and i was soooo excited to get started. i wind my bobbin, thread the top, thread the bottom (or so i think) and then it's time for me to try to pull up the thread from the bottom bobbin. um...huh?

it worked once, almost. i turned the hand wheel, the needle went down then came back up, with the bottom thread hooked in. so i pulled it and put both threads under the foot. but when i tried running fabric through, nothing happened. bummer.

so i tried again, and again, and again. now, i can't even get the bottom thread to come up at all. it just keeps getting jammed. the wheel won't turn all the way. one time i even broke a damn needle. UGH.

i cannot for the life of me figure out what i am doing wrong. i have the manual in front of me, the singer website up, and i'm still not getting this. boo.

is this a somewhat complicated procedure, or am i just terribly inept at using a sewing machine?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So what are you, a mod or a rocker?
Six of one, half a dozen of the other, really.
------------------------------------------------------------

Want to do a personal swap?
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2006 07:46:21 PM »

sounds like the bobbin casing has some thread stuck in it. Take the whole thing out and then reinsert the bobbin and make sure it clicks in place. Check the casing carefully and make sure there is no thread caught in there. It might be the tiniest little piece in the world but can cause problems

Then pull out your top thread and rethread it too.
If you broke a needle it could have been becasue the bobbin case wasn't in properly.
I understand how frustrating it can be when you have something new and want to play but can't get it to work! 
Another thought might be to check to make sure your needle is in the right position. Most machines it can only go in one way but I have been known to get it wrong.
Hope this helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lol Stein
Cat lady

Atomic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2006 06:54:19 AM »

I'm brand new to sewing also, and this is happening to me. It's a new machine, so I doubt that it needs any kind of repair...I'm pretty sure it's just my own inexperience. I never knew sewing would be so hard Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaykayelle
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2006 09:45:34 AM »

The only advice I can offer is to read your manual and make sure you have everything set properly. I know it's a pain, but once I did that it really helped. It was so much better than sitting at my machine crying.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lol Stein
Cat lady

Atomic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2006 12:24:24 PM »

I think I've managed to thread the darn thing correctly (think, at least)...but perhaps the tension is off. I read the manual and the website a billion times, so unless I'm missing some insane detail, I think I'm doing it all right. I'm going to mess with the tension tonight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

McJulie-O
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2006 01:13:19 PM »

Lol Stein,
Please check that your bobbin is inserted (in its casing) with the thread going the right way BEFORE you start messing with the tension(s). I just hate tension problems, so I try not to go too far when messing with them. A new machine ought to be in great shape as far as the usual sewing projects (you're not trying to sew chiffon or scarf silk or leather, are you?)

Another thought: when you've threaded your machine correctly, do you pull enough thread out from both the bobbin and the needle to make a tail behind your presser foot?, and do you hold on to it for the first few stitches so that it isn't pulled down into the inner workings of your sewing machine?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Claire Legrand and The Year of Shadows
Keen On: Writing On The Wall
Team Milkha at Bangalore Literature Festival
Wil Haygood: What Are You Reading?
The Party Bible: Genesis
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...