A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,488
Currently Running With Scissors:
612 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Problem with your machine? CHECK HERE FIRST! How to properly insert your bobbin.  (Read 60108 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cheezy

BOOM shakalaka

View Profile WWW
« on: July 25, 2004 02:39:32 PM »

From jungrrl:
Hey all!

I'm merging a honkin' ton of threads all about the same issue.  So let's just start off by saying what's wrong and what can be done to fix it!

The number one problem that people come to the boards with is threads bunching up, wadding up, making a general mess on the underside of whatever they're sewing. This is probably a simple fix!  Make sure your machine's bobbin is threaded properly! This is the most likely cause for all your issues.

How to properly insert your bobbin
(This tute is for Front load bobbins NOT Top load bobbins, sorry!)

Take out your bobbin casing and your bobbin. Set them this way, with the bobbin casing arm sticking up and the thread on the bobbin winding COUNTER-CLOCKWISE.
]

Flip your bobbin case over to the other side (Don't turn it, flip it!)

Pick up your bobbin and put it in the case. Make sure you have the thread in hand.

With the bobbin now inside the casing, pull the thread into the channel on top of the casing.

Now pull the thread over toward the left and under the metal piece.

Keep pulling the thread over toward the opening until it snaps into the correct position.

You now have the bobbin in the casing correctly!

Now, turn the casing around.

Pulling on the flap (I don't know the real name!) insert the bobbin case into the housing. You'll see a notch were the case arm should go, make sure you're heading that way!

Put the arm in the correct place and let go of the flap.

That's it!

Now, when the top thread is threaded correctly (this will vary by machine) You can see how the top thread (black) will come loop around the bobbin casing and pull the bottom thread up.

You're ready to sew!

this is off topic, but i cant figure it out: how do i use a sewing machine?i have it all threaded but i dont know....am i supposed to just go one stitch @ a time? also: my thread bunches and breaks...any suggestions?thanks so much!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011 08:33:02 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3
Monkeypooshoes

Yep, that's my doggie - look at those big ears.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2004 02:43:13 PM »

hiya - if the thread is bunching and breaking then it sounds to me like you've got it threaded up wrong.  can you check some instructions?  if you are sure it is right, the stitch size and tension might need adjusting.  depending on what sort of machine you've got, there will be dials and switches for doing that. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lilleftie818
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2004 05:26:51 PM »

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

For a while now ive been wanting to learn how to use my sewing machine. Today I asked my grandma to show me how since she kinda knows about it. Well its acting weird and not sewing!!! it gets all  tangled and the bottom thread wont even grab. we tried threading it so many ways but its just not working! I dont know whats going on or how to do anything! and my gramma got fed up and left!  Cry

what do i do??  Huh Huh Huh [/b]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarah_1980
tallpoppycraft.com

tallpoppycraft.com :: Tall Poppy Craft Products

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004 12:53:49 AM »

lilleftie818, don't get upset about it!

Sewing machines are the craziest things - sometimes I believe that my sewing machine won't work because its cold or because its too hot or just because I left it on for too long and things like that!

Without actually seeing what's happening I can't really say what might be causing the problems for you.

I would recommend you go get the machine serviced, especially if its an older machine. Its a little bit pricey but once you have a well oiled machine you can feel the difference.

Sorry I couldn't help you further  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sarah
http://www.tallpoppycraft.com
Tall Poppy Craft Products :: Handbag & Purse Making Supplies
olga
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004 09:10:44 PM »

Maybe take it to a nice fabric store ( Jo-Ann's) where the people are freindly, and maybe just maybe they will be able to help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elphabia
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004 05:32:23 AM »

If it's an older machine and you don't have the manual for it, try doing an internet search for the make and model to find the manual. Most companies now have downloadable manauals and it should show you exactly how to thread it. If it is threaded correctly, I'd try the following things before taking it into the shop:

Try changing the needle, often your needle (especially if the machine hasn't been used for awhile) gets tiny burrs on it and wont work properly.
Try adjusting your tension on the top thread, you may have to play with it a little before you get it right.
Clean the machine. Find a small brush or use a clean old toothbrush and clean all the fuss out of it, you can also use compressed air to get in the small nooks and crannies.
Oil it, basic 3-in-1 oil, or buy sewing machine oil.  Oil all the moving parts. But be sure to run scrap fabric through the machine a couple of times before sewing any "good" pieces to make sure all the excess oil is removed.
Try calling a sewing machine outlet, you may find a kind person willing to help you and not charge unless there is truely something wrong with it.
Hope this helps...good luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stajdaml
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2004 08:09:51 AM »

are you winding your bobbin right?

sometimes the thread comes loose from my bobbin and it does exactly what you are describing.

find a picture showing you exactly how to thread you bobbin.

the first time i learned to sew on a machine, my grandma hadn't done it in so long, she forgot how to thread the bobbin.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

april fool
-handmade bags and accessories-
http://www.iloveaprilfool.com
Lalage
Stunt seamstress and textile artist!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2004 09:40:19 AM »

Make sure your bobbin is in the case properly--it should go in so the thread is winding clockwise. Thread the needle  from left to right, or front to back depending on how the shaft holds the needle---these are two common mistakes people make. And always get servicing on older models (or any model that has been sitting for more than a year in less than optimum storage situations)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lavender Rose
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2004 08:04:42 PM »

It might be helpful to know what kind of machine you have, the model, how old it is and whether you have the owners manual.  Some machines are just plain trouble.  Other machines, once you get them threaded, work just fine.  Maybe you, or your grandma, know someone else who can get the thing threaded up for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
primashonna

Chuck Norris doesn't sleep... he waits...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2006 07:20:48 PM »

SO... What does this mean?  This is the back of what I was sewing.. the front looks totally normal.
Can anyone give me a hint on how to fix this?  I'm pretty new to sewing...

I'd be greatful for any clue!

thanks!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009 01:10:52 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

-red
"we're talking to phil collins's people... but then again, aren't we all?" (hedwig and the angry inch)

"of course, the bob loblaw law blog... you, sir, are a mouthfull!" (arrested development)

www.shonnamceachern.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Blow Dry Curly Hair
How to Keep Your Hair Silky and Smooth in Humidity
How to Prevent Frizzy Curls in Humidity
How to Take Out Braids
How to Do a Ponytail
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...