A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 305,021
Currently Running With Scissors:
660 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Problem with your machine? CHECK HERE FIRST! How to properly insert your bobbin.  (Read 60877 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

HippieKender
The most precious thing one can make is a friend.

I tend to lick circular things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: February 24, 2011 08:19:36 AM »

i dug my parent's sewing machine out of the closet and have been trying to learn how to use it..
ive looked up stuff online and read the manuals and everything

i tried testing the machine out but this problem keeps on happening
the top stitch is fine but the bottom is completely loose and wonky..
what am i doing wrong?

TOP (fine)
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/thumbs/92347_23Feb11_IMG_16831.JPG

BOTTOM (terrible!)
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/thumbs/92347_23Feb11_IMG_1685.JPG

sorry im a complete noob! what am i doing wrong?  Huh
Have you tried re-threading the machine? Make sure the needle is in the up position when you're threading. Also, try adjusting the tension. Your machine may need to be cleaned. Your manual should tell you how to do that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #261 on: February 24, 2011 10:06:50 AM »

Another thing to try is placing a newly and gently wound bobbin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melissallaneous
« Reply #262 on: March 27, 2011 12:46:01 PM »

My step daughter wants me to teach her to sew so she brought over a sewing machine that her grandma gave her.  It's a Singer 5040.  I have the top thread, threaded correctly and it pulls through freely.  I have the bobbin thread in counter clockwise and threw the two little notches (It's a drop in bobbin.)  I hold the tow thread back and turn the fly wheel toward me making the needle do a full down and up.  The top thread catches on something in the bobbin housing but does not pull up the bobbin thread.  It's like the top thread isn't picking up the bottom thread.  It pulls tight after it gets down in there put it's still pulling freely through the top, does that make any sense?  I took the whole bobbin housing piece apart and got all the dust bunnies out and put it back together but it is doing the same thing.  Has anyone had this problem before?  Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rottenlittleboys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: March 28, 2011 07:36:51 AM »

I had that happen with my drop-in-bobbin once. Believe it or not, my needle was not seated far enough into the holder thingy.

Once I moved my needle up into the holder, it no longer caught the bobbin case as it came around.

One way to check to see if this is happening with your machine is to remove the bobbin cover and bobbin. Turning by hand, see if the needle is hitting a spot there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kiwi
« Reply #264 on: April 02, 2011 07:17:23 AM »

Okay, posting here is my last straw with my Kenmore. I've been working on it for two weeks and haven't had any luck whatsoever. I know how to sew basic stitches, but I don't know anything about machine functions or machine repair.

It will not pick up the bobbin thread. I've done everything - rethreaded it, changed needles, took the entire bobbin shuttle case out and put it back together, but nothing works.

It honestly looks like the needle is not reaching the bobbin thread - like it's not long enough. However, I am using the needles that actually came with the machine, so I know they are the right size.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe I didn't put everything back together correctly. I've watched oodles of YouTube videos and read tons of how-to instructions, both offline and online.

Help!!!

On a related note, this is a lower model machine that I received as a gift a few years ago. Since repair costs would be as much as the machine costs, would it be better to just buy a new machine?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gamemom42
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #265 on: April 02, 2011 07:31:26 AM »

I just took my machine in for repairs a couple of days ago.  It cost less than $150 new and the guy at the repair shop told me it definitely wasn't worth servicing/repairing.  It was going to cost $70 for a routine maintenance and tune up without any actual repairs and I understand from others that that is the going rate.

Good luck, I hope someone can help you figure out what's going wrong.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just as I am
« Reply #266 on: April 02, 2011 07:33:38 AM »

I have a Kenmore machine. It looks like you may have your bobbin in backward causing it to go to the left and it should go to the right. This is how I thread mine.
I hold the bobbin case in my left hand and the bobbin in my right with the thread going over my thumb, then I slide it into the case pulling the tread threw the slot & under the tention thing. (I don't know what it is called) just don't pull the tread beyond that.

Sometimes people change the bobbin tention and that can cause problems. This is adjusted by loosening or tightening the screw that hold the tention thing on the bobbin case.  (to change this is a last resort)

I hope this helps -- I love my old kenmore machines  

THIS ROCKS   Logged

N30Nb100d
« Reply #267 on: April 02, 2011 08:46:36 AM »

Another Kenmore user here... I took a look at mine to get a better idea of this and the needle doesn't actually reach the bobbin thread, so that's not part of the problem. This is kind of a stupid question I guess but I can't tell from your picture if you have thread in the needle - I'm guessing you do since you said you rethreaded the machine, but are you holding on to the thread tail under the presser foot while you try to get the bobbin thread to come up? Sometimes mine also won't grab if the bobbin thread tail isn't long enough.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beba17
« Reply #268 on: January 10, 2012 12:12:21 PM »

Help!! i own 2 sewing machines, the one i'm having trouble with was working fine until i changed the thread and the bobbin, i inserted, when i sew the bobbin's thread is all tangled up i looked up how i was supposed to inserted and that's how i did it and it still doing that. when i got it, it didn't have a bobbin case, plus if i get one for it it doesn't fit...what should i do please!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rottenlittleboys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: January 10, 2012 12:34:28 PM »

Help!! i own 2 sewing machines, the one i'm having trouble with was working fine until i changed the thread and the bobbin, i inserted, when i sew the bobbin's thread is all tangled up i looked up how i was supposed to inserted and that's how i did it and it still doing that. when i got it, it didn't have a bobbin case, plus if i get one for it it doesn't fit...what should i do please!!!

Hey there.

I bet if you look at your bobbin, it will be wound a little wonky? Nothing that will be obvious at first glance, but will once you look at the bobbin for a moment. If your threads are not lined up like soldiers, straight up, straight down and even on all ends. If you have a cone shape to your bobbin, unwind it by hand and then rewind it by machine. Just hold the thread in one hand and guide it up and down the bobbin as it rewinds itself.

Don't forget to read the first post in this thread!!!

If this does not solve your problem, are you using a new needle?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012 12:36:54 PM by rottenlittleboys » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Photo Collage
How to Make a Cartoon Collage
How to Have a Perfect Green Christmas
How to Create a Wrapping Paper
How to Create Your Own Napkin Ring
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...