A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 299,129
Currently Running With Scissors:
538 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Problem with your machine? CHECK HERE FIRST! How to properly insert your bobbin.  (Read 61691 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shedko247
« Reply #250 on: June 04, 2010 08:40:24 AM »

This was very helpful...I've threaded my bobbin many times, just realized that sometimes my machine doesn't want to work that day and I just need to walk away from it for a while...it just gets so frustrating sometimes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anitacj
wist:anitacj77

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 14, 2010 01:07:29 PM »

HELPPPPP!I was given a older Singer sewing machine last week.We plugged it in & the motor works.But the lever for the presser foot just flops(only way I can discribe it) up & down.Plus the presser foot doesn't move in any way,up or down.Does anyone have any idea how to fix this mess?Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

look at wists for my likes & dislikes
sewwhatsnewfabrics

Drowning in fabric...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: July 17, 2010 07:18:19 PM »

Ok, please help or this machine will die a terrible, terrible death. It's a New Home/Jerome 40 year old behemoth. (and in avocado green no less.) It's a side loader and we call her Mad Marge.

Anyway, I finally got the thing actually sewing stitches by shear luck. Here are my questions so far...

1. Dumb question but where does the thread on the needle go in reference to the foot? Where does the thread go in reference to the fabric? The manual says behind but if I do that it will lock and make me itch.

2. The needle position selector is on left and that's where it seems to like (No-one pushes around Marge.) because that's the only place it will go without hitting the foot. Is this correct? If not how can I change it?

3. When I sew stitches there is this long piece of thread that follows along and seems to be coming from the needle. Again is this normal and if not how do I stop this?

4. Aaaannnd the tension seems off. The stitches are slightly crooked, imagine a line of these /. I understand this is tension and I suspect that it's the bobbin because when pulling the thread from the bobbin it isn't smooth, more taut than loose. I can adjust the tension with the screw but what am I looking for in terms of proper tension?

5. How long do you think this thing would take sinking in the Hudson River after been thrown off the Tappan Zee bridge from a car going 60mph?

Thank you so much for any input, I have been pouring over the manual, printed out this thread and have been reading it like a Bible so any help would mean so much to me because it's my dream to actually sew something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FoxInDocs
« Reply #253 on: January 17, 2011 07:24:42 PM »

I'm very frustrated....

Machine was working fine yesterday, i'm using the same thread and same fabric as yesterday, and my machine was just serviced two weeks ago by a reputable technician.

granted, i bent a needle yesterday, but i replaced it with a brand new one this morning, same kind of needle, and i've honestly seen a lot worse bends in the past with no ill effect.

I've tried adjusting the top tension both up and down, and i've tried adjusting the bobbin tension up and down... each adjustment has  fixed it for a couple moments while i've tested it on some scrap fabric (same kind as i'm using in my project) but in a minute or two it's all looping up again...

I'm about to throw the stupid thing out the window, someone help me!

it's a Singer 1120 (nothing fancy)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #254 on: January 17, 2011 08:26:40 PM »

I feel your pain. The first thing I do when my machine does weird things that piss me off is unthread the whole darn thing and start over. When I first got it 4 years ago, I put the bobbin in backwards a couple times, and since then, the thread has flown out of the swing-arm-doohickie a bunch of times from very vigorous high-speed sewing.

On the other hand, the bugger died on me a couple weeks ago. I went through my whole troubleshooting routine several times, finally realizing that my tensioner is non-functional. I took it apart, refit all the springs and such, and still she is kaput. It's like the thread is not actually being caught by the tensioner. So now I need a 4 hour drive to get it to the dealer for repairs...

Sure hope yours is just something silly like the bobbin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FoxInDocs
« Reply #255 on: January 17, 2011 08:55:07 PM »

argh, i don't know what it is... the needle kept sticking in a downward position too... i pulled it all out and re-threaded, pulled the bobbin case out and pulled the thingy that holds it in apart to make sure there was nothing stuck in there...

don't know. so i turned it off and left it for a bit... went back to it a little while later to see if i could do some more trouble shooting... tried it on a bit of denim, it seemed to work perfectly for the whole 5 seconds i was sewing... then i hit a pin and the needle snapped...

actually... it bent in two places and snapped in a 3rd.. and i wasn't sewing particularly fast.... so i wonder if it wasn't a problem with the needle..? maybe it was a bit dodgy and weak or slightly bent..? but it was my last one, so it will have to wait til i can get some more tomorrow before i can try again.....

frustrating.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LMAshton
Kitchen Witch

Canada -> Sri Lanka -> New Zealand -> Singapore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #256 on: January 18, 2011 04:13:13 AM »

My sewing machine intermittently pulled the whole thread-tension fit thing for a while, then eventually quit. It was a broken clip in the tension controller thingie for the thread.

The advice to completely rethread the machine is correct. If that doesn't fix it, then get it checked specifically for tension problems. The service technician who serviced mine would not have checked the tension controller thingie had I not told him there was a tension problem. He wouldn't have caught the problem.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HippieKender
The most precious thing one can make is a friend.

I tend to lick circular things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: January 18, 2011 09:55:34 AM »

Holy crap! The title of the latest merged thread made me laugh out loud so suddenly that I woke my cat up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ghilie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Good Cookie Designs

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: January 18, 2011 05:41:22 PM »

perhaps the timing is off by just enough to drive you crazy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit http://ghilie.wordpress.com/ for the poppet pattern.

"I grow old, I grow old, I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled."
artsy.unfartsy
« Reply #259 on: February 23, 2011 02:14:48 PM »

i dug my parent's sewing machine out of the closet and have been trying to learn how to use it..
ive looked up stuff online and read the manuals and everything

i tried testing the machine out but this problem keeps on happening
the top stitch is fine but the bottom is completely loose and wonky..
what am i doing wrong?

TOP (fine)
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/thumbs/92347_23Feb11_IMG_16831.JPG

BOTTOM (terrible!)
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/thumbs/92347_23Feb11_IMG_1685.JPG

sorry im a complete noob! what am i doing wrong?  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Short Hair Styles for Women
How to Find the Perfect Hair Color for You
How to Cover Gray Hair
Christmas Day Makeup Tutorial
Your LifeMinute Guide to Last Minute Gifts
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...