A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,371
Currently Running With Scissors:
504 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Problem with your machine? CHECK HERE FIRST! How to properly insert your bobbin.  (Read 66663 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Broadwaybabe1307
« Reply #170 on: January 07, 2009 12:30:12 PM »

I haven't quite gotten the sewing machine rhythm yet... which basically means by trying to sew slowly, I accidentally gun the machine.  Not good.  So I'm pretty sure the tension is messed up, but I'm not sure which to adjust or whether it needs to be tightened or loosened.  Or maybe it's not even a tension problem and I just messed up the machine... either way...

That's the series of events.  It starts off with one thread getting stuck... then another... and another... and when they actually manage to come up they end up turning out like a bunch of loops which jam the machine.  Awesome!

Any thoughts on what I could do to fix this problem (hopefully something I can do at home and not by a professional.. because I honestly have no idea who I could go to to fix this)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #171 on: January 07, 2009 12:32:26 PM »

I shall eagerly await the answers. Mine does this, too.  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
pertelot
« Reply #172 on: January 07, 2009 12:45:44 PM »

This may be like what was happening with my sewing machine when I first got it. I had asked the place where I got it from and they had said that it was simply that I did not leave enough bobbin string sticking out before I started sewing. It sounded weird, but I haven't had problems since.

And I forgot to add, you should double check to make sure the bobbin is in the machine right
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009 12:49:51 PM by pertelot » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Castaways

Saving the world one shopping trip at a time.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #173 on: January 07, 2009 12:56:48 PM »

One way to make sure you know which thread is causing problems is to use one color thread in the top of the machine and a different color on the bobbin. My guess here is that you might have a problem with the top thread - have you checked the tension and thread-path in the top of the machine?  And I second the suggestion about making sure the bobbin is "seated" in the machine correctly - and that the bobbin-thread is "unspooling" in the right direction.
Best of luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HippieKender
The most precious thing one can make is a friend.

I tend to lick circular things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: January 07, 2009 12:58:08 PM »

My old machine does this from time to time.  Usually re-threading the machine helped.  Also lightly holding onto both threads for a few stitches should help.  Make sure the machine is clean!  Stray dust, fuzz, thread, etc can really mess things up.
If you still think your machine needs to be serviced (and if you don't know the last time it was serviced, it probably needs to be) take it to a dealer.  You could also look in the phone book for sewing machine repair (in my area they all seem to be listed as sewing and vacuum repair).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ambimom

Knit, Sew, Spin but Pug Love Is Best

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 07, 2009 01:16:37 PM »

From the photos, it looks like this is most likely operator error, not machine failure.  I'd guess there's a loose thread stuck somewhere that you can't see readily.  Once it's removed, the problem should be solved.

Check to see that a tiny piece of thread is not stuck in the bobbin case somewhere.  Also check your manual to make sure that the bobbin is inserted in the right way.  Check that there is no thread accidentally stuck in the tension discs or anywhere along the thread path. 

If you don't have a can of air to blow things out, you can also use an empty squeeze bottle [the kind of bottle in which dishwashing liquid is sold.] .  Just squeeze the bottle and point the air that comes out at the top of the bottle.

Sometimes you  need to work the thread out with a tweezer.  Sometimes I can turn the wheel back and forth a few times to dislodge stuck threads but on occasion it requires more effort. 

Make sure the needle is inserted correctly and facing the correct way.  Check your manual for this too.

Also, it helps if you have the needle down in the fabric before sewing the first stitch.  I find that when my needle is in the up position, the stitching gets all tangled.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I took the handmade pledge at birth
Denelle
Denelle's Stuff

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 07, 2009 01:43:42 PM »

Are the loopies on the bottom stich or the top? If it is the bottom you may want to try and tighted your bobin. There should be a little screw on it. Just tighten that. I totally just started sewing and by no means am I a professional, but my mother-in-law is an out of this worl quilter. She is the one who helped me set up my machine. She told me that your top threads tension should be on about 2. Let me know if this helps you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Denelle
Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: January 07, 2009 01:54:01 PM »

Troubleshooting Thread Nests, Wads, Knots, Loops & Tangles on the Bottom of your Fabric & in the Bobbin area - What's wrong with the sewing machine!?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
Broadwaybabe1307
« Reply #178 on: January 07, 2009 05:25:17 PM »

Okay.  Well I don't know if its fixed.  I tried holding the thread when i start (forgot about that one..) and made sure I did everything right.  With the white thread the same thing happened but a little less often.  So I decided to see if it would work with another bobbin and it worked, until my top thread broke, but that thread is so horrible it breaks all of the time anyways, haha.  I could tell it would almost get stuck a few times, but when I looked at the stitching there was no sign of it.  I'll just have to wait and see what happens.  Thank you everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: January 07, 2009 06:23:32 PM »

What you are experiencing is rarely a major issue with the machine.  A simple, step by step approach will probably have you and your machine getting along fine in no time.

Thread nests on the underside of your fabric are almost always the direct result of improper threading or a problem in the thread path or upper tension.

Let's first look at what is actually happening in the stitch formation process to cause these wads of thread.  Ideally, the thread should form a neat coil (stitch) in the "center" of your fabric. When you get these thread wads on the underside, that is telling you that for some reason, the upper thread is NOT  pulling up the bobbin thread and forming that snug, balanced stitch.

Here is the recommended check list for solving this problem:

1)Unthread everything

2)Clean out the bobbin area, and feed dogs of all fuzz, thread and lint . Inspect your bobbin for burrs and defects and make certain that it is wound evenly.   Check your bobbin tension.

To check bobbin tension, dangle the bobbin case over your other hand, grasping the thread near the case. A little wiggle/ jerk on the thread should cause the thread to pull out of the case simply by the weight of the bobbin. The bobbin case should drop smoothly and without resistance about an inch and half before stopping. If the bobbin does not move, the tension is too tight. If the bobbin drops quickly and too far, the tension is too loose.

3)Put in a fresh needle that is correct for the thread and fabric you are sewing.

4)Get out your manual.

5) Set your upper tension to the default (usually 3 or 4) setting.

6)Carefully and meticulously re-thread the entire machine. When threading the upper portion, MAKE SURE THE PRESSER FOOT IS UP until you get to threading the needle. If the foot is down when you thread, the upper thread will not seat properly in the tension discs, and you will get those dreaded thread nests/wads. 

7))Be very careful to thread and install your bobbin correctly. 

8)When beginning your sewing, hold on the thread tails for the first couple of stitches.

These steps are part of what would be found via the link I prvided in my earlier post.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 28 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Vegetable Cheddar Breakfast Muffins
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
How to Make a Chicken Salad Sandwich
How to Make Old Fashioned Buffalo Chicken Wings
How to Make Rainbow Hot Dogs
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce
Mountain Views
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...