A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,717
Currently Running With Scissors:
694 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Problem with your machine? CHECK HERE FIRST! How to properly insert your bobbin.  (Read 67371 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

qazicat
Qazicat

Just not enough hours in the day to do craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2006 06:27:58 PM »

you may not have the thread running through the tension plates.   un thread the machine and re thread it.  This might fix the problem. 

This might be completely redundant, but make sure the foot is down.  No pressure will be on the tension plates unless the foot is down.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Qazicat Designhttp://www.netspeed.com.au/qazicat/

My Wists - http://www.wists.com/qazicat

I am willing to do personal swaps for ATCs
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2006 06:35:53 PM »

I bet you 10 imaginary dollars, you just need to change your needle. You need to change your needle every project. Yes, you do. FOR FUTURE REFRENCE. Do not, ever, mess, with, the , tension. EVVVERRR. Just get someone else to do it who knows how for sure. the only way tension gets screwed up enough to mess with it is if you throw your machine down the steps. I'm serious. So, change your needle, and re thread your machine. Hope I helped!

Okay, I tend to disagree.  You may need to change your needle, but the problem you're describing (because I can't see the pics) doesn't usually correlate with an old needle.  As for the "change it every project rule" I don't think that's entirely acurate either.  Me sewing for one hour on a light weight purse is quite different from me sewing for 5 hours on a pair of denim pants.  I have seen on many places where they say to change it every X-hours, but of course I can't remember which.

And I say, why not mess with the tension?  I'm going to assume that we're talking about the top tension and not the bobbin tension.  The bobbin tension you probably shouldn't touch unless you know what you're doing.  As for the top tension, take note of where it is right now, and then mess away.   It's the only way you're going to learn about your machine.

Personally, my best guess is that your machine is threaded incorrectly.  Just my two cents.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
CherryForever
Ward,I'm worried about the Beaver.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2006 05:47:11 AM »

Check to see if you have the same thread in the bobbin that you have on the spool,and check the manual on how to oil it.If it's the tension.......ack...that's a pain,and just move it a little at a time.But most likely you have it threaded wrong or the bobbin in the wrong way.Check the simple stuff first,the last thing I would check would be tension.It's probably something simple.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2006 04:18:09 PM »

depending on which site you reference the time between needle changes is anywhere from 6-10 dependant on type of needle (the sharps seem to have a shorter use life) and type of fabric being sewn.   Sheers and some knits you seem to need to be on the ball changing needles as they snag and pucker where it is really hard to hide.

I change every project (for large ones) and every two or three for smaller ones, so around every 6-8 hours of actual sewing time.

But I sew a fair bit, a six hour sewing day is not unusual, and I have been known to marathon up to fourteen hours several days running.  Usually the end of June and beginning of July when my LARP group does the annual lets get 600+ of us together to be idiots thing.

For fiddling upper tension, go with a test swatch and fiddle with a plan rather than random dial twirling, and keep notes.  I found a good tension level for doing bobbin work embroidery with knitting silk that couched the silk down beautifully but it was NOT my usuall at all.

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
Winyari
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2006 11:23:01 AM »

I am an avid sewer and the best advice given to me was to take your machine in for a tune up every year or so.  If you haven't had your machine tuned up recently, this will fix all your problems.  They'll fix the tension issue, they'll fix anything else that needs to be done.  it's not that pricey and will save you the headache.  It's worth the $$ in my mind.

Good luck!  Please let us know what you decide to do or how you fixed it.

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mini
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2006 01:22:29 PM »

I can't see the pictures. Am I doing something wrong?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

twistbarbie
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2006 08:27:06 AM »

Thanks everyone!! Im printing out all these replies as my little manual... tnx so much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

and oh! the smell as candles die..
twistbarbie
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2006 08:31:29 AM »

I bet you 10 imaginary dollars, you just need to change your needle. You need to change your needle every project. Yes, you do. FOR FUTURE REFRENCE. Do not, ever, mess, with, the , tension. EVVVERRR. Just get someone else to do it who knows how for sure. the only way tension gets screwed up enough to mess with it is if you throw your machine down the steps. I'm serious. So, change your needle, and re thread your machine. Hope I helped!

Okay, I tend to disagree.  You may need to change your needle, but the problem you're describing (because I can't see the pics) doesn't usually correlate with an old needle.  As for the "change it every project rule" I don't think that's entirely acurate either.  Me sewing for one hour on a light weight purse is quite different from me sewing for 5 hours on a pair of denim pants.  I have seen on many places where they say to change it every X-hours, but of course I can't remember which.

And I say, why not mess with the tension?  I'm going to assume that we're talking about the top tension and not the bobbin tension.  The bobbin tension you probably shouldn't touch unless you know what you're doing.  As for the top tension, take note of where it is right now, and then mess away.   It's the only way you're going to learn about your machine.

Personally, my best guess is that your machine is threaded incorrectly.  Just my two cents.

I've never changed my needle.. i know i need to do that. 

But i'm pretty sure I'm threading it right..  it goes through the tension, all the loops and stuff..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2006 10:06:08 AM »

this is going to sound strange but, is it threaded in the right order? Machines vary a bit my workhorse is tensioner, under a guide, through a looper (the one that moves) and through two more loop guides then the needle.  but my Atlas it's guide, guide, tensioner, under a guide, looper that moves then needle. Skipping either of the top guides would make it *refuse* to work.

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
twistbarbie
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2006 02:56:07 PM »

okay... from the spool, though a little loop guide, through another one that changes the direction 90 deg. through the tension, through the long metal part that comes up and down (sorry i dont know the lingo) then down through the needle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sally Jenkinson Performs Valentines Day Poem "More Words Than We Deserve"
Raymond Antrobus Performs His Poem "Things That Look Like Love"
Rest in Pieces by Bess Lovejoy
Chemical Garden Trilogy - Sever by Lauren DeStefano
Oleander Girl by Chandra Divakaruni
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...