A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 308,210
Currently Running With Scissors:
453 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing Machine Reviews  (Read 11634 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2011 12:14:19 PM »

Hey, everyone!  This is where we'll eventually house our list of machine reviews.  Between now and then, though, we need for you crafty peeps to write some for us!  Here's a suggested starting point for your review.  Use as much or as little as you like, but please at the very least include the brand and model of your machine.  Thanks!  I can't wait to see what you all post!

Start a NEW TOPIC with your sewing machine brand and model as the title, please, to help stay organized.  I'll add links to this page as people post!

Brand:

Model:

Year:

Cost:

How long have you had the machine?

Is it a basic sewing machine, serger, or embroidery machine?

What are your favorite features?

What are some of the unique features it has?

How well does it run?

Has it ever broken or needed maintenance you couldn't do yourself?

What are your least favorite features?

Would you recommend this machine to a friend?

Reviews that have been posted:

SuzyScissor Bernette 715
Abeeroad's Bernina 330
Aislynn's Brother LS2125-i
katpac's Brother SE-400
craftydame's Brother SE-350
alwaysinmyroom's Brother Innov-is 900D
AnruiUkimi's Husqvarna Viking - Designer 1
kaz814's Husqvarna Viking Topaz 20
chloelicorice's Janome AQS2009
CraftyMcCrafterson's Juki DDL 8500
CraftyDiem's Juki TL-98E
jungrrl's Kenmore 385.15108200
CraftyMcCrafterson's Nakajima 2801
Quilter_Mom_Of_2's New Home NHR 652421
Jinjeet Phoenix's Pfaff 138-6
Abeeroad's Singer 7442
kaz814's Singer 4166
chloelicorice's Singer 4411
Listessa's Janome 4030PR
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013 10:00:19 AM by Aislynn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
jungrrl
Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011 12:18:20 PM »

I can't wait for these! This will be so helpful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
The Craftster Admin
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011 12:34:39 PM »

Wow, these are going to be amazing resources!  Thanks so much for organizing, Ais!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do more of what makes you happy.
Aislynn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011 12:44:24 PM »

I know, I'm so excited!  If anyone has any suggestions as far as questions to add to the little form, I'd love to hear!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quilter_Mom_Of_2
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011 11:47:38 PM »

Just posted one for my oldest machine...

It was manufactured from 1941-1953 and is still in it's original cabinet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011 04:54:00 AM »

Awesome!  Thank you Quilter_Mom!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Princess Mercia
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014 01:19:35 AM »

This is such a good review
THIS ROCKS   Logged
barbara09
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016 12:50:32 AM »

Well, sewing machine is essential home based product. It is also essential for our daily life. My own point of view, before buying a sewing machine you need to read particular sewing machine full review. In this below I mention some best sewing machine review. This way you can easily collect actual information...

1. SINGER 7258 Stylist Award-Winning 100-Stitch Computerized Sewing Machine
2. SINGER 8763 Curvy Computerized Free-Arm Sewing Machine
3. Janome 2206 Sewing Machine
4. Janome 5812 Sewing Machine
5. Brother XR3774 Full-Featured Sewing and Quilting Machine with 37 Stitches, 8 Sewing Feet
6. Brother ES2000 77 Stitch Function Computerized Free Arm Sewing Machine

http://sewingmachinesview.com/
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016 09:05:45 AM by barbara09 - Reason: link implement » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Padester
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016 10:17:13 AM »

This will be really helpful - I am in the market for a new machine, and wanted some info from Crafters on what to get, but it doesn't look like a lot of questions actually get answered on this page. I am leaning toward a Brother SE400 . . . . Could only find one post that mentioned it when I did a search, and that was a post by someone asking about it - no responses! This list of reviews will probably come too late for me, but I will contribute a review once I buy whatever I am going to buy, and will review my current one when I have time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Artcat
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016 02:58:00 PM »

I have had my Pfaff Performance for nearly 2years, although haven't used it a lot because of medical problems. I had the 4.0 for about that long, and had some problems, which might have been operator error, or not, but then they came out with the 4.5, which led me to believe they needed to make some corrections in the 4.0. After trying out the 5.0, l found it to be much better behaved! It is a currently available model.
It has so many stitches that I may never need, but am learning that there is indeed a good reason for some I thought were frivolous.
My favorite feature of the Pfaff, and this is my fourth one, is the even feed feature, now called IDT. integrated Dual Feed. Long seams end up even when you get to the end. Plaids and stripes match. Quilt squares seams stay matched. It is famous for German engineering, and those people are not happy until everything is perfect! I love the led lighting, and can thread that needle easily with my 75 year old eyes!
It has never let me down until recently when it refused to make buttonholes. At the shop, it was discovered that the automatic buttonhole foot lost its plug end up in the socket, preventing it from making either automatic or manual buttonholes. I suspect this problem may have been operator error.
The two things I like least are how difficult it is to plug in the automatic buttonhole foot, which may have caused my problem. The other is that though they fix the needle threaders each time they service the machine, it is such a delicate part that it never works for long. But with the good lighting it is a minor problem.
Another thing I don't care for which seems to be common to newer machines, is that there is no place to oil the machine myself, and it needs to go in to the shop to be lubricated every couple years. I grew up with a Japanese made machine that had dozens of places to squirt oil and a few more I squirted just for good measure!
I spent about $2900.00 on the 4.0, and a couple years later it cost me $1000 to upgrade to the 5.0, which sold for about $3500, but luckily hubby said go ahead get what makes you happy. Wow! (Maybe I could have gone whole-hog and got the embroidery machine!)
But I am very happy with the Performance 5.0, and I would recommend any Pfaff with the IDT feature.
Another nice feature of this machine is that you start sewing and it lowers the presser foot by itself. You can program it to back stitch at the beginning of a seam and automatically tie off the end of the seam. Also, it is very accurate, as to stitch placement. All those wonderful stitches, including the maxi-stitches, can be changed in so many ways, mirrored, and if there are not enough stitches for you, you can invent and program in your own patterns. There are four fonts. There are lots more features, some that make it great for quilters, too. I love the machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Whooops!
@Home This Weekend: Curtains!
September 21, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...