A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,209
Currently Running With Scissors:
472 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing machines, a buyers guide  (Read 43096 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: February 06, 2013 11:21:12 AM »

Ah well, if that's the only reason I guess I'm safe. I keep canned air and use it regularly on all the electronics. It's a bit sneezy dusting like that though, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
Astraea
« Reply #101 on: March 14, 2013 08:06:22 PM »

Great post-- just what I was hoping to find!  Thanks for all of the knowledge, everyone.  Very helpful for someone who is A. completely lost on this subject and B. reticent about walking into a sewing shop and asking for advice on buying used/vintage as, well, they're going to want to sell me one of their new machines...

I have a couple questions, though... I'm trying to work on doing searches but it's slow going (23 pages of results just on the keyword "vintage"), so please bear with me.  I haven't come across these specific questions yet.

A question is on the portability issue (I searched and didn't see anything similar).  Craigslist has a lot of older machines in cabinets.  That's fine and i might be able to find a place to put one... but I'd like something portable.  So, for example, if I go visit my mum so we can sew together, or I take a class and want to take my own machine to learn on, I'm not lugging around a cabinet.  Can machines be removed from the cabinets for travel, or are they simply... mounted in there/don't have any sort of base to sit on?  (Can I even take a class with my own machine?  Or will they want me to use theirs?  Am I going to hear "oh, I don't know how to show you how to use such an old machine" if I have something like a Singer 99 or something?)

I'm also wondering if I might "outgrow" a straight-stitch machine.  I don't plan on doing anything too complex, but there's a Singer 99k I'm looking at on Craigslist and I see it's simply straight-stitch and not even any reverse option (I don't think, from what little I can see in the pics).  Will I regret not having zig-zag and reverse?  It seems a lot of people swear by these machines, so maybe not... but I'd be willing to look at some of the C-list machines that look like they might be 70s-era (Kenmore, etc.) as well.  (The 99k is $40.  Seller says it doesn't have any attachments but it belonged to their grandmother, who took good care of it.  It would be a bit of a hike for me, and very inconvenient this weekend, to go see it-- should I even bother for that price?)

Are they or are they not difficult to re-wire?  It's not something I'd be confident doing myself, but still, from my limited reading it doesn't sound like it's TOO hard or should be TOO expensive.  I called a repair shop today, though, and the person I spoke with told me not to even bother if the machine needs rewiring as it would require replacing the entire motor, would be prohibitively expensive, etc.  But, I assume that the older Singers (99, 201, 15-91, etc.) are almost certain to need rewiring, right?  And so many people seem to have them that it can't possibly be a bank-breaking or near-impossible venture...

(Grumble: oh the joys of C-list listings with next-to-no info... I want to Google the model number for reviews!!  Speaking of which, has anyone ever heard of a Kenmore 1120?  I see one listed, but I can find almost nothing on it, and a list of Kenmore model numbers doesn't even show that one.  I thought perhaps it was a typo and it's really an 1102, but I can find next-to-nothing on those either, inc. pics so I can compare with the ad's pics.  Before I contact the seller and possibly offend them by saying "uh, are you sure of what you have?" I figured I might see if anyone's heard of this model...)

Thanks for the help.  Smiley  I don't even know how to evaluate the machines in all these ads I have up in my browser right now, lol.  And I can't go see them all.  So I'm trying to do a lot of Googling and email questions to sellers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RealDoll
« Reply #102 on: August 20, 2014 02:17:46 PM »

Hi guys, I'm about to buy a used sewing machine. I found two in my area, one of them is actually brand new Victoria 270e branded machine. The second one is an older, used Brother sewing machine, the seller says it's in perfect condition. I have used a new type of Singer sewing machine before. I attached the picture of the Brother sewing machine and the Victoria one. I have no experience with these older types of machines, so I am looking for advice. What do you guys think, which one should I go for?
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/337637_20Aug14_Untitled.jpg
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/337637_20Aug14_Maquina_coser_Victoria_270E.JPG
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Take Photos of Fireworks
What Is Focal Length?
Understanding a Cameras Sensor Size
Shoot Better Video with Your Smartphone
Light Painting with Robot Vacuum Cleaners
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...