A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,806
Currently Running With Scissors:
616 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bellydance belt tutorial **revised to be more clarified & w/ better pics**  (Read 33819 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , belly_dance , tassel , belt , tribal , bellydance , corset  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kasihime
« on: June 06, 2006 04:46:30 PM »

Here is one of my completed projects. I crocheted a tassel belt for a dancer I know. I'm trying to learn to dance myself. But sadly full time school and two jobs are very time consuming... And I'm a broke college student...

Anyone else do any bellydance accessories??? Or anything of that nature???

Here's a couple pics... Yeah. That's me modeling it...

Front view:

Frontalish view:

Back view:

Matching hair accessories. (They're meant to be pinned on.)

Layed out flat:

I've made it in other colors as well:

TUTORIAL TIME!!!!!
I would love to make one of these....they would be perfect for this craft fair I am doing....any chance of a crochet tutorial?

I apologize in advance, this tutorial will probably be crappy b/c I don't have any experience writing patterns.

Materials:
Hook: Size I (5.5mm)  double sided afghan hook
Yarn: 2 contrasting colors of Red Heart Super saver. (approximately 1/3 of each skein was used for mine and I'm about a size 8/10)  Feel free to use more than 2 colors if you want though!
Notions: Some kind of ribbon or lacing that you like. I prefer a contrasting color.

Base belt portion:
-So the important thing to know how to do is how to wield a double sided crochet hook. You want use the double sided afghan stitch for the base of the belt.

Here is a link to a tutorial on how to do a double sided afghan stitch:
http://www.crochetcabana.com/specialty/crochet-double.htm

NOTE You will be working from one hip across to the other. So you are basically working sideways.

The belt base is made of two pieces. A front panel. And a back panel. As far as how many rows to make I just sort of eyeball it. I try to make sure the back panel is longer than the front panel to accommodate my big @$$ and hug over it. You want it to be the width of you hips, where you can feel your hip bone jut out. See pics for more clarification.

-Width:
Approximately 15 stitches wide. (This will be the height of the finished product)

-Height:
Stop adding rows when it feel like it will stretch comfortably across your hips.

Shaping:

For shaping of the belt we want it curve ever so slightly so it will hug the body and lay flat.  To achieve that I basically did 1 row increases in various places on the bottom portion of the panels.

Darting (increases):
1 row tall. 4 stitches wide. in middle of the panels. Also do an increase on each hip (kind of where the front and side of your hips meet) [about 3-4 rows in from each end.] also do 2 increases about 1/4 of the length in. I just do approximate measurements for the darting. (I think that's what it's called.)

Here's a diagram I drew and took pictures of. (The old pic was too small so here's one that is easier to see.)

Border:
So when you are done with the panels just do a nice slipstitch all the way around the belt in the contrasting color to create a boarder.

Trim:
So anywho. After the panels were done I just crocheted a net sort of design directly into the belt. Those are the triangular pieces. Basically to do that I crocheted directly into the slipstitched border at the bottom of the belt.
- Basically you will need multiples of 4 (+1 extra stitch) for the netted portion.
Small triangles = 25 stitches across
Large triangle = 53 stitches across

Row 1: Chain 7, skip 3 stitches work into 4th (should be 3 empty stitches between), single crochet into stitch. Repeat until desired width is reached. Turn.
Row 2: Slip stitch next 4 stitches. *Chain 7. Single crochet over next chain area in the middle. (No need to work into actual chain, just crochet around it.)* Repeat from * until you have worked across all chain spaces.

Repeat Row 2 until you have made a complete triangle. It will get narrower as you go until it reaches a point.

Here is a rough sketch of the net pattern.
O = chains
x = single crochet

It's a really rough sketch so it doesn't include the slipstiches. Also, I realized that there is an error in the chart. The first chain space should lead from a chain stitch not a single crochet. But it doesn't make much of a difference.

Then you weave some ribbon through the two sides of the panels (after you lay them out w/ insides touching each other) as if it were a corset and VOILA! You have an adjustable belt!

For the circle medallion thing on the front of the belt I just crocheted a flat circle in alternating colors and sewed some shells on w/ a yarn needle.

Any questions about anything I did feel free to message me or email me @ sk8in72@hotmail.com. Im more than happy to clarify.  =)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009 01:13:56 AM by kasihime » THIS ROCKS   Logged
greyshadeofblack
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006 05:03:22 PM »

Yours are gorgeous-what a lucky friend.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aelita

Yes I am Goth.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006 05:11:09 PM »

wow those are georgous you did an awesome job on it. I wish I was the friend who was getting them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There will always be people who say mean words  because you are different, and sometimes their minds cannot be changed. There are many more people who do not judge others based on how they look or where they are from. THOSE are the people whose WORDS truly matter.

http://li-lis-page.blogspot.com
-Keiko-

Fear the small, cute ones... >)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006 05:43:22 PM »

Pretty!  Love the design!

I took a couple of belly dancing classes last year, hopefully I'll be able to take some this Fall.  (evil college... >.<).  Maybe try taking some in the summer time (when school is out?).

Pattern wise try these links out:

http://mlminspirations.com/patterns/GarnetsAndPearls/Garnets.html

http://mlminspirations.com/patterns/knittysubmission/knitty.html

http://mlminspirations.com/patterns/flamenco/index.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Solitaire

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006 05:45:19 PM »

Ohhhhhhh how pretty .. you are very talented!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Craft, Therefore, I AM!  )O(
SKerri13
Tutorial Contributor

Don't Eat the Paste

conformity is subversive.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006 06:00:04 PM »

Incredibly cool. I hit this rocks on it. I think my daughter wants me to make her something like it now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

13bodies

this is my boom stick

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006 03:48:47 PM »

Just gorgeous!  You're very talented.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let me have my little, guiltless moment of pleasure.  I have the rest of my life to be virtuous, and the rest of eternity to be dead.--J. Poniewozik
aliastriona_angerboda
Pirate Queen, Insane Woman, Complete Nerd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006 03:52:03 PM »

Awesome stuff  Smiley  I love the look of bellydancing outfits and accessories even though I can't dance...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JoyousBohemian
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006 06:55:07 PM »

I'm currently rethreading my coin belt for belly--every time I'd shimmy about eighteen coins would fly off.  Since I'm going to be teaching a little next year, that might be somewhat embarrassing.  I also have friends who made their own bling, and modified lots of other things to fit their belly style.  I like yours quite a lot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my hand-dyed fiber!
portfiber.etsy.com
CosmicCranberry
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006 09:09:01 PM »

I would love to make one of these....they would be perfect for this craft fair I am doing....any chance of a crochet tutorial?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Laurie Halse Anderson Talk About Forge
Joseph Maroon Talk About Resveratrol Evidence
Susan Isaacs Talks About As Husbands Go
Narine Nikogosian Offers Hints to Stop Aging
Meet Dr. Jim Loehr
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...